Rocky Mountain Bicycle Company Metropolis Hybrid Bike

• Handlebar: Semi-rise alloy 25mm rise
  • Brakes: Shimano BRM416 mechanical disc

Submitted by Cdncycler

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2012

Strengths:    This bike reminds me of the old days of cycling in the late 60's. It's like riding the old spuercycle back then. I love the disc brakes on the bike as well as the gearing....24 speeds is plenty of gears for myself.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2012 Metrpolis LHR ...black in colour. Esthetically, it looks great. Performance wise...very good for the price I bought it for brand new.

Submitted by nuliajuk a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2010

Strengths:    The hub gear is very user friendly in traffic as you can shift even while stopped at an intersection. The disc brakes offer great stopping power in all conditions. For my short commute, the steeply sloping top tube is also a plus, as I can ride in a skirt or dress in a pinch - it offers almost as much clearance as a mixte. (Something I've never found in my size.)
I didn't expect to like the pegged platform pedals, but they're great for city riding.
I can hammer hard on this bike without feeling any flex and the wheels are still true despite the bad roads in this city.

Weaknesses:    The ride is very harsh compared to my old steel touring bike.
It's lucky I've never had a flat on the back wheel as getting the wheel off is a challenge.
I hate the break-away fender tabs. They kept coming loose while riding, so I crazy-glued them shut.
As with many disc brake bikes, it was difficult to fit a rack. (Why can't manufacturers put extra eyelets either side? Does rack fitting not occur to them?)

Bottom Line:
Mine is actually a 2008. The spot above only goes to 2007.
I bought this bike to commute on as my 23 year old touring bike was getting harder to find parts for. The disc brakes and hub gear seemed like practical solutions for everyday use.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   The closest bike I've had to this was an original Rocky Mountain Sherpa mountain bike (it wasn't a touring bike then) back in 1982.

Bike Setup:   Came with fenders, but they aren't wide enough for 700 x 40C winter tires. I've added a rack and lighting system.

PB G4 in a Chrome Metropolis?

I am hoping to start commuting this summer (building the bike right now). I work at a university, so there are showers available, I don't have to carry clothes every day, and I don't have to dress overly nice. However, my life exists on a PowerBook G4 17". I don't have any other gadgets that I'm ... Read More »