Specialized Sirrus Comp Hybrid Bike

Pedals: Specialized aluminum platform
Tires: 700 x 28c Specialized All Conditions Spo

Submitted by Derk Diggler a Commuter

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2013

Strengths:    2013 Sirrus, it's Made by Specialized. Looks great in all black. Strong frame, eyelets for racks. Rides smooth, free bar end integration.

Weaknesses:    Pedals, it's 23.6 pounds totally stock out the door. Too heavy. Wanted the the Carbon edition but NO EYELETS for rack attachments. WTF?? All components are shelf Specialized except for drive train. Seat heavy, pedals heavy, Skewers heavy, seat post heavy, So you see a trend here? Granny gears, can you say enough granny gears to supply an entire nursing home that accepts medicare?

Bottom Line:
It's specialized. Life is funny, I started out with a specialized for road racing, as I progressed I purchased lighter and more expensive bikes. Guess what, Ive stopped racing, sold them all off, and here I am buying something comparable to a mini van to a middle aged guy, a hybrid...yuck! But, here it is, all 23.4 pounds of it including specialized cage pedals. Due to years of an aero profile on a road/triathlon bike, my neck just isnt the same anymore. Doctor says stop running immediately and buy a more upright bike. I said now way. He says I should swim only. So, I opened the wallet and here it is. Everything about this bike is heavy and made by specialized. Love the frame, but the seat, seatpost, rims, fork, head set, handle bars need to go. Dont get me wrong, they are very sturdy, Im just used to sub 18 pound bikes tricked out with everything including a frame pump. The bike is certainly a solid performer and my neck and riding position are much comfortable. I rode the trek 7.5-7.9, same issue, get to carbon, no eyelets....and their associated with a chronic cheat!. Tried the Cannondale SL1, the position is WAAAYYY too upright. Bike shifts crisp, not a fan of thumb shifters but what you gonna do. Put a rack on it, lights, paniers ect to commute to work. I guess now days weight is not an issue. Threw my old speed play pedals with SIDI carbon road shoes for road bike reminissance. I could go on, but solid bike, a bit heavy, but I will eventually buy a carbon seat post, upgrade the saddle, toss the rims when they wont hod true anymore. Picked it up for less than 1g.

Favorite Ride:   Prince William Parkway in Virginia

Purchased At:   Kozys bike shop, chi

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7.5, Canondale quick SL1, Cannondale Bad Boy 1 (WAAAY to heavy).

Bike Setup:   Speed play pedals, Cygolite 700 lite, topeak rack and bag, cat eye commuter cyclometer

Submitted by Phill

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2012

Strengths:    Super cool looks on the 2013 model in white with thick black rims. It's a robust frame and a solid no-nonsense fork which can be loaded up with luggage for touring. Great urban commuter which responds well to acceleration and power when out of the saddle. Disc brakes a re phenomenal. I've never ridden with them before, but despite the extra weight they are ideal especially if you're going to load up with luggage as I intend to do. Rear fittings allow for the addition of a rack and mudguard if needed. I'm told that many hybrids only offer the option for fitting a rack or a mudguard. Here, you don't have to choose.

Weaknesses:    There is no carbon in this bike frame - or forks - so it's heavy-ish! I'm guessing that the disc brake set-up adds to the weight. I have also added an alloy rack to mine as it will be going out on tour during the Aussie summer. The standard rear cassette is 25 -11 which is fine around town, but the lack of a third chain ring on the front means this baby can't climb hills so well especially if fully loaded. The option I took was to change the rear cassette to a 36 - 12 (dinner plate size) and the rear dérailleur to a Shimano Deore touring set-up. Now it can climb hills, but gear changes are not so nuanced. Once I come back from touring I may decide to switch the gearing back to the original set up. Pedals - I've upgraded to Shimano Deore XT single-sided SPDs. I'm used to riding a single sided clip-in so, I have no dramas in finding the cleat. The advantage of this pedal is that it can ridden with your tennis shoes on the flat side if you're just heading to the shops. Unlike my road bike - which is a Cannondale CAAD 10 - I have discovered that I can't ride the Specialized Sirrus comp fast 'round tight corners whilst spinning as the pedals hit the ground; I've already got shiny bare metal showing on my brand-new pedals. Thankfully, because the bike is a solid beast, it just growls at you and stays on the rails as it corners whilst sparks fly up from behind your heel.

Bottom Line:
Overall, I like this bike despite the fact that Specialized offer lighter frames in the Sirrus range with carbon forks and rear sections. I bought this model based on price and durability for touring, so weight isn't crucial as I won't be taking on my buddies - I'll leave that for the Sunday rides on thin wheels.

Submitted by Mike McCarthy a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2012

Strengths:    Light, great gearing

Weaknesses:    Comes with realy crappy pedals

Bottom Line:
I cycled (And still do) a Centurion Crossline 500 for 2.5 years - and loved it. I was on the market for another bike and was looking at Giant and Trek bikes at my local bike shops, I was ready to order a Trek but they only had the larger size in Red, whice I don't like, the shop assistant found the Specialized in an XL frame and in slate grey at a reduced price (2012 models at the end of 2012 go down in price here in Japan) I hurried home to check out this bike and read nothing but glowing reviews , which I thought involved a lot of hype but I thought even if this bike lives up to half of what people say then it is a great bike. I hurrried back to the shop and placed my order for an XL model - I am 179cm and sizing chart says I should be getting an L but wanted to try a slightly bigger frame, a week later my bike came and it was love at first sight ! Didn't make a mistake with the sizing the XL seems to suit my frame perfectly. The gearing is amazingly responsive, leg power transfers to speed straight away, would like to get this gearing on my Centurion. I thought the 28 tyres might be a bit narrow/small to absorb pavement bumps but I am getting used to them though I might change to 32 later. I knocked 6 minutes of a 50Km. cycle today, that was 6 minutes off my fastest time that I couldn't better in 13 months of trying! I like narrow saddles so found this to be a bit wide - but am getting used to that as well. The pedals - I don't think crappier pedals could have been put on this bike ! No matter they came off straight away and I put SPD's on.
The handlebars with ends are so comfortable, every bike should have them
This bike feels easier on my back too but this might be purely psychological, I need all the help I can get now and every bit helps. I love this bike - Buy one !

Purchased At:   Kato Cycle Nagoya

Similar Products Used:   Centurion Crossline 500 L size.

Submitted by KSURIder a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2011

Strengths:    Thinner (quicker) tires
Light, quick bike for a relative newbie
2-way release shifters are nice

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Just purchased a 2001 Specialized Sirrus Comp. I checked out everything I could find in my area and it boiled down to the Sirrus Comp and Trek 7.5FX. Could have gone either way - similar components on each. In the end, I liked the slight differences in the Sirrus, most notably the thinner tires (28mm vs. 32mm) and the bar ends along with the price (Sirrus was $50 less). Trek did have a nicer saddle. Could have gone either way and would have been happy with either. So far so good on the Sirrus.

Bike Setup:   Stock -
Carbon/Alloy Fork
Shimano Alivio RapidFire Shifters
Shimano Deore LX rear derailleur
Shimano Alivio Front derailleur
Added a wireless computer

Submitted by Ollie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2011

Strengths:    Brakes, build quality, looks

Bottom Line:
Just a great bike, I got the Sirrus Comp disc 2011 model. Very light, super good looking. I have done around 1000 km in just over a month and cauld not be happier. Great disc brakes and a comfortable ride.

Purchased At:   kriacycles.com

advice choosing between Specialized Sirrus comp vs wilier Bassano

Hello, these are my two options. My main use wold be conmutting. The bassano is 200 dollars more expensive, I guess the componets are a bit better. would be wort it to pay the extra money? The bassado is 2, 60 pounds lighter. The sirrus seller is telling that for conmuting in the city a bit heavi ... Read More »

Which Sirrus is Better? The '04 Sirrus Pro or the '06 Comp?

Disregard price, I have great deals on both, price is pretty close. Is the sirrus pro disc '04 vastly superior to the sirrus comp '06? I'm thinking many of the features on the '04 pro disc are now on the '06 Comp, and the '06 Comp has the carbon fork and seat post and bars and that zerts stuff in ... Read More »