Specialized Sirrus Pro Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: Specialized A1 aluminum
Frame Angles: 72.0 head, 74.0 seat
Sizes: xsmall, small, medium, large, xlarge
Colors: Brushed/Blue
Pedals: Shimano PD-M520 SPD
Tires: 700 x 28c Specialized All Conditions Spo

Submitted by jack a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2010

Strengths:    Hills, the gearing is good for the steep roads where I live. Brakes, fast straight stops, that I have total control of.
Riding position. Comfortable saddle (seat).

Weaknesses:    No real weaknesses. I like SRAM rather than the Shimano on it, but I cannot complain about the shifting or gearing. Not a weakness, but it is not a hybrid bike. A road bike with flat bars or cyclo would be a better description.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike from the original owner. He had upgraded the wheels and changed the handlebars.
It is fast, with good brakes and smooth, positive shifting. The carbon frame absorbs just enough of the road jars to make it a comfortable ride for 50 mile plus trips with my friends.
It is not my only bike and I thought I would be using my road bike and mt. bike more but it does it all very well.
It seems to pay to buy a top of the line bike that is not very old or heavily used from the original owner, insist on getting the original purchase receipt. I have been very happy after riding it for hundreds of hours.

Favorite Ride:   Iron horse trail

Purchased At:   owner, he upgraded (

Similar Products Used:   Fuji, Felt, GT, GT-I Drive

Bike Setup:   Mostly Shimano 105.

Submitted by bike guy a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2005

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Wheels, Crank, Frame, and ESPECIALLY the company - Specialized is HORRIBLE

Bottom Line:
This is the wrost bike I have ever owned. After three months I've had to replace the wheels because they are such bad quality. The bike shop I bought it from - River City Bicyles in Portland, OR (they are EXCELLENT) - apologized to me about the quality of this bike. They said they have had to replace many wheels on this bike. They recommended that I get new wheels if I dont want to be replacing them regularly. They said unfortunately Specialized understand that they can skimp because most people who buy bikes never use them. In addition to wheels the crank creaks (Specialized does not grease them, as I understand it) and the bike has too short a wheel base. I've thought of tossing the bike way but cant think of eating $1200 bucks. I'll post this on as many sites as I can - my local bike club, where I purchased it, at my athletic club, here - because it is a crime.

Favorite Ride:   Commute

Purchased At:   River CIty Bicyles

Similar Products Used:   Bridgestone MB Zip - I never should have sold it for the piece of junk

Bike Setup:   Pro Comp with rack and fenders

Submitted by skipper a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2004

Strengths:    Pretty light (21lbs at LBS at delivery), responsive but comfortable frame, great rear derailler (Ultegra), carbon bars and seat post, more upright position, great brakes

Weaknesses:    More upright seating position in any kind of headwind; wheels are light but fragile; some minimal disc drag on the brakes even when adjusted properly; ugly welds

Bottom Line:
I'd been off bikes for a long time but had two hard tail ATB's and a lugged steel 531 Atala with SunTour deraillers and Campy components. Decided to hit the road again but the Atala is just brutal so I decided to get a new bike. I looked at a lot of different bikes and decided on a Sirrus Pro Disk. Generally I'm happy with the bike but it is a compromise and like most compromises there is good and bad. For most uses, except for trying to run with all out road bikes it's a great bike. The '05 hsd a carbon fiber fork and seat stays but the components are not as good and the msrp is $1,500 while I got mine as a '04 "leftover."

Purchased At:   rb cycles

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Cateye 7 cyclocomputer and lights.

Submitted by moonraker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    Lightness (approx. 10kg only!)
Top quality components: Carbon forks, Ultegra rear derailleurs, SPD Shimano pedals, leather saddle, etc. this bike has everything you will need unless you are a racer. Why pay more?

Weaknesses:    Definitely not a hybrid!
'Racing' style BG saddle a beauty but uncomfortable at first, gets better after break-in period.
Presta valve is very fragile but that is the same for almost all bikes. I broke mine on first pumping of tyres and had to replace the whole tube.

Bottom Line:
My wife and I, now in our 30s, were looking for a slick leisure bike each. After looking at many, we decided on the Sirrus Pro. We got the 03 model (silver, bluish for 04) at 22% discount (£700 in sale vs £900) - terrific value, as I can see no major upgrades for 04 apart from carbon handle bars (on the contrary, for 04, the 'racing' wheels seem to have been downgraded: many more spikes! ugly and old-fashioned). The strength of this bike is that you get racing quality components at mid-price (esp. the Ultegra rear derailleurs found on racing bikes at twice the price). A Ferrari Modena for the price of a Porsche 911 ... The bike just goes and goes! A 5-mile trip is nothing at all, just a warm-up. Bikes at half that price were maybe 50% heavier - a big difference. We will probably never need another bike ... unless I start to ride seriouly at amateur racing level (unlikely!). Not the cheapest but the best value.

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles, Kingst