Specialized Sirrus Sport Hybrid Bike

4.87/5 (15 Reviews)

Specialized Sirrus Sport: Combining the heart of the world's best road bikes with a flat-bar, urban-friendly form, Sirrus Sport redefines the notion of versatility. 27-speed Shimano gearing keeps your pedaling efficient over varied terrain...

Submitted by DT Ramone a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2015

Strengths:    Quality aluminum frame, comfortable saddle, price

Weaknesses:    heavy, slow (but hey, its not a road bike!)

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2010 Sirrus in 2013 and since then have ridden hundreds of miles including several CicLAvias and a lot of Meetup rides. What was meant to be a casual cruising bike has become my urban runabout, fitness bike and commuter.

The base Sirrus I have (in gray with white accents) has decent quality Shimano components; nothing like SLX/XT parts on my other bikes but will do the job well. It is a 3x8 with 48-38-28 crankset and 11-32 cassette so there are plenty of gears to suit any road or path. Keep the shifter tuned properly and you will never have any problems. Brake lever feel is good and doesnt need a hard squeeze to stop the bike.

The bike is comfortable to ride with an upright riding position. The saddle is a specialized BG and is comfortable even without bike shorts/padding/chamois. Just make sure the saddle is adjusted correctly. At 5'10" the stem doesnt feel too long at all and for shorter riders the stem is proportionate with the bike's size.

There are a few changes I had made to the bike. I bought the bike used and it already came with Origin8 ergo grips with bar ends. I hightly recommend getting ergonomic grips with bar ends to anyone who want to ride for distance or fitness. It makes a huge difference in riding comfort.

I replaced the OEM Specialized handlebars with an aftermarket flat bar. The stock riser bar felt too high and too upright for fitness riding. With the riding position biased towards neutral, cruising speeds of 13 MPH can easily be done.

I replaced the pedals with wide, flat pedals that are similar to BMX/downhill MTB for casual and commuter duties. For longer rides I swap out it out to Shimano SPDs.

The stock rear Alex rim had split, perhaps the previous owner went off too many curbs with it so it was replaced with a Weimann rim with Shimano hub. Its heavier than the Alex rim but its definitely heavier duty to suit commuter needs. The rear Specialized All Condition tire had a bad flat spot; the previous owner did too many skid stops and was replaced with a Specialized All Condition Armadillo in 700 x 28 width. Armadillos for flat resistance and 28mm for faster and less rolling resistance. The front wheel stayed stock with the Alex rim and All Conditions tire in 32mm. Once the front tire needs replacing, it will be changed to match the rear tire.

The brake pads when I acquired the Sirrus was covered in greasy stuff that looked like Armor All, Why someone would put tire dressing on bike tires and severly compromise braking is just beyond dumb. I replaced the front with Avid brake pads and cleaned the front pads and sanded it down (for a fresher layer of rubber) and installed it in the rear.

With the current setup I have (ergo grips, flat bar, SPD pedals and Armadillo tire), it has the ability to go on long, multi hour rides comfortably. Its no road bike in terms of speed but capable of being a flat bar touring bike. Future accessories would be a rack and pannier for some real touring.

I would recommend the Sirrus for those looking for a bike for casual riding, fitness/cardio rides or commuting. if you want a faster, aggressive bike, look for a road bike instead. By the way, the Sirrus would do fine on light gravel or hard pack trails if outfitted with cyclocross tires.

Always wear a helmet, ride with lights when its dark and always be mindful of traffic when commuting.

Favorite Ride:   The one I'm on

Purchased At:   Private party

Similar Products Used:   My stable: above mentioned Sirrus, Specialized Allez Sport, Fisher Hi Fi Plus FS and Vassago Bandersnatch 29er HT

Bike Setup:   Forte flat bar, Origin8 ergo grips, Redline BMX flat pedals, Weimann rim (rear), Specialized All Conditions Aramadillo, SKS Xtra dry rear fender + Planet Bike Grunge Board for post rain rides. Cat Eye cyclometer, Cat Eye front and rear lights/blinkers and GeoManGear 900 lumen front light.

Submitted by BigDaddy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2014

Strengths:    Well Built, components work very well with the bike as a whole, quick shifting, excellent wheels/tires. Excellent fast commuter. All for only $490.00 plus tax. LBS included a bell and water cage (Woohoo!! Sold!)

Weaknesses:    None....oh wait - Made in China. I took care of that and had the Made in China removed before riding out the door of my LBS

Bottom Line:
2013/2014 Specialized Sirrus Sport. I use this mainly for commuting to give make my mountain a bike a mountain bike and my road bike a road bike. I can put racks front and back if needed. This bike can handle a load. Commuting isn't the only thing this bike is good for, it would excel in being a touring bike. It really is well built and light. I was surprisingly impressed with this bike.

Purchased At:   Calmar Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Stock. Front and rear lights, Shimano XTR pedals, Rear rack (55lb load)

Submitted by Brad

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight yet very sturdy. I like the handling and easy shift and balance at low and higher speeds.

Bottom Line:
A great option for everyday road use with flexible options for changing out tires for more rugged rides.

Submitted by Bob Knott

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2014

Strengths:    Easy shifting! Great handling.

Weaknesses:    Poor choices of colours. This may be a small complaint but the only colours available were black or REALLY RED!

Bottom Line:
I had not ridden a bicycle for nearly 40 years. After a knee replacement I needed the sort of exercise bike riding provided. I love it and ride almost every day. The only real adjustment I needed to make was to put on an adjustable yoke to raise the handlebars about 1 cm.

Submitted by Tom

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2014

Strengths:    Great bike for the money. Smooth riding and better shifting than I thought would have. Very light

Weaknesses:    Non

Bottom Line:
I tried Focus which is a great German bike but this was much more comfortable