Specialized Sirrus Hybrid Bike

3.82/5 (28 Reviews)

Combining the heart of the world's best road bikes with a flat-bar, urban-friendly form, Sirrus redefines the notion of versatility; with Shimano 8-speed gearing for reliable performance.

Submitted by Rick Fohl

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2015

Strengths:    I bought a Specialized Sirrus in April on a trade in from a Trek that I had put 6,000 miles on. The Sirrus is a great bike, love pretty much everything about it. At $500 it's a great deal and compares well to other bikes that are much more expensive. So far I have 1,400 miles on the bike and it's like new. I find myself riding my road bikes less in favor of the Sirrus.

Weaknesses:    I did have a problem when I first bought the bike with the tires. I think that they were defective. The rubber seemed too soft and stones would readily go right through them.. I took the bike back to the shop (Toms Pro Bikes) after several flats. Tom took one look at the tires and said that they were defective and that he would replace them right away. Since then it's been an awesome bike! Love it..

Bottom Line:
I love the bike. I have nothing bad to say about it. I ride this bike pretty much every morning in all kinds of conditions and just love it.. I highly recommend it.

Submitted by DT Ramone a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2015

Strengths:    Quality aluminum frame, comfortable saddle, price

Weaknesses:    heavy, slow (but hey, its not a road bike!)

Bottom Line:
**This review is for the 2010 Sirrus**

I bought the 2010 Sirrus in 2013 and since then have ridden hundreds of miles including several CicLAvias and a lot of Meetup rides. What was meant to be a casual cruising bike has become my urban runabout, fitness bike and commuter.

The base Sirrus I have (in gray with white accents) has decent quality Shimano components; nothing like SLX/XT parts on my other bikes but will do the job well. It is a 3x8 with 48-38-28 crankset and 11-32 cassette so there are plenty of gears to suit any road or path. Keep the shifter tuned properly and you will never have any problems. Brake lever feel is good and doesnt need a hard squeeze to stop the bike.

The bike is comfortable to ride with an upright riding position. The saddle is a specialized BG and is comfortable even without bike shorts/padding/chamois. Just make sure the saddle is adjusted correctly. At 5'10" the stem doesnt feel too long for me with the right amount of reach.

There are a few changes I had made to the bike. I bought the bike used and it already came with Origin8 ergo grips with bar ends. I hightly recommend getting ergonomic grips with bar ends to anyone who want to ride for distance or fitness. It makes a huge difference in riding comfort.

I replaced the OEM Specialized handlebars with an aftermarket flat bar. The stock riser bar felt too high and too upright for fitness riding. With the riding position biased towards neutral, cruising speeds of 13 MPH and up can easily be done.

I replaced the pedals with wide, flat pedals that are similar to BMX/downhill MTB for casual and commuter duties. For longer rides I swap out it out to Shimano SPDs for smoother pedal stroke and better cadence,

The stock rear Alex rim had split, the previous owner probably went off too many curbs with it so it was replaced with a Weimann rim with Shimano hub. Its heavier than the Alex rim but its definitely beefier to suit commuter needs. The old owner had done too many skid stops so the rear All Condtions tire had a bad flat spot and was replaced with a Specialized All Condition Armadillo in 700 x 28 width. I chose Armadillos for flat resistance and 28mm for faster and less rolling resistance. The front wheel stayed stock with the Alex rim and the stock All Conditions tire in 32mm. Once the front tire needs replacing, it will be changed to match the rear tire.

The brake pads when I acquired the Sirrus was covered in greasy stuff that looked like Armor All, Why someone would put tire dressing on bike tires and severly compromise braking is just beyond dumb. I replaced the front with Avid brake pads and cleaned the front pads and sanded it down (for a fresher layer of rubber) and installed it in the rear.

With the current setup I have (ergo grips, flat bar, SPD pedals and Armadillo tire), it has the ability to go on long, multi hour rides in comfort. Its no road bike in terms of speed and handling but capable of being a flat bar touring bike. Future accessories would be a rack and pannier for some distance touring.

I would recommend the Sirrus for those looking for a bike for casual riding, fitness/cardio rides or commuting. if you want a faster, aggressive bike, look for a road bike instead. By the way, the Sirrus would do fine on light gravel or hard pack trails if outfitted with wider, cyclocross tires.

Always wear a helmet, ride with lights when its dark and always be mindful of traffic when commuting.

Favorite Ride:   The one I am on.

Purchased At:   Private party

Similar Products Used:   My stable: the above mentioned Sirrus, Specialized Allez Sport, Fisher Hi Fi Plus FS and Vassago Bandersnatch 29er HT, plus other bikes I have ridden thru mtnbikeriders.com

Bike Setup:   Forte flat bar, Origin8 ergo grips, Redline BMX flat pedals, Shimano 505 SPDs (for long rides) Weimann rim (rear), Specialized All Conditions Aramadillo (rear), SKS Xtra Dry rear fender + Planet Bike Grunge Board for post rain rides. Cat Eye cyclometer, Cat Eye front and rear lights/blinkers and GeoManGear 900 lumen front light.

Submitted by Jacob Pernula a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2015

Strengths:    It looks like a nice bike.

Weaknesses:    Specialized doesn't honor their warranty.

Bottom Line:
The bottom bracket on my new Specialized Sirrus broke, causing threads on the frame to be destroyed. Specialized refused to honor warranty and send a new frame. I'd seek legal action, but I don't have the time or energy to deal with them. I would absolutely not recommend this brand to anyone. Now I'm out $500 and a bicycle.

Submitted by Robert P a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2014

Strengths:    I purchased my Specialised Sirrus flat bar road bike during 2012 in the northern inner suburbs of Adelaide. The price whilst expensive, was value for money, or at least I thought it was. I was easy to maintain and stylish good looks.

Weaknesses:    My crankshaft had to be replaced after about 18 months, my spokes had to be replaced after 2 years as the originals spokes did not conform to specs. After about 28 months, the rear wheel collapsed with small cracks developing and causing the rear wheel to buckle and wharp beyond repair.

Bottom Line:
When I spoke with the bike shop staff I was advised that the wheel broke due to rough treatment. I am a 57 y.o. Man, I ride my bike daily to and from work and occasionally for leisure. The bike has never been off road and I have maintained the bike regularly, apart from the defects as discussed. I would never buy another specialised bike and urge any readers to very careful when selecting this bike. I was disgusted with the attitude of the bike shop staff and would not recommend them to anyone at all.

When I questioned the staff, their response and attitude was alarming, stating that they had honored their obligations to meet the warranty conditions. I believe that the wheels should not have failed after a couple of years of casual riding and they just said that specialised sirrus is all about the bike frame and not the wheels??? Buyer beware.! I know have a useless bike and have to buy another road bike somewhere else.

Purchased At:   Northern suburbs of

Submitted by will Markhardt

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2014

Strengths:    I've used this bike as a commuter bike for several years. Very speedy and light weight compared to my mountain bikes

Weaknesses:    Recently I noticed the pedals feeling spongy and the chain coming off frequently. Crossing streets in heavy traffic became very scary because I didn't know when the chain would derail. This morning I noticed that the whole bottom of the bike was twisting as I pedaled. That when I realized that the angle beam was almost broken in two down near the pedals. luckily I have another bike to ride home on because the frame on this one is toast.

Bottom Line:
I'm not a big guy and this frame should not have broken.