Specialized Sirrus Hybrid Bike

3.88/5 (25 Reviews)

Combining the heart of the world's best road bikes with a flat-bar, urban-friendly form, Sirrus redefines the notion of versatility; with Shimano 8-speed gearing for reliable performance.

Submitted by Robert P a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2014

Strengths:    I purchased my Specialised Sirrus flat bar road bike during 2012 in the northern inner suburbs of Adelaide. The price whilst expensive, was value for money, or at least I thought it was. I was easy to maintain and stylish good looks.

Weaknesses:    My crankshaft had to be replaced after about 18 months, my spokes had to be replaced after 2 years as the originals spokes did not conform to specs. After about 28 months, the rear wheel collapsed with small cracks developing and causing the rear wheel to buckle and wharp beyond repair.

Bottom Line:
When I spoke with the bike shop staff I was advised that the wheel broke due to rough treatment. I am a 57 y.o. Man, I ride my bike daily to and from work and occasionally for leisure. The bike has never been off road and I have maintained the bike regularly, apart from the defects as discussed. I would never buy another specialised bike and urge any readers to very careful when selecting this bike. I was disgusted with the attitude of the bike shop staff and would not recommend them to anyone at all.

When I questioned the staff, their response and attitude was alarming, stating that they had honored their obligations to meet the warranty conditions. I believe that the wheels should not have failed after a couple of years of casual riding and they just said that specialised sirrus is all about the bike frame and not the wheels??? Buyer beware.! I know have a useless bike and have to buy another road bike somewhere else.

Purchased At:   Northern suburbs of

Submitted by will Markhardt

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2014

Strengths:    I've used this bike as a commuter bike for several years. Very speedy and light weight compared to my mountain bikes

Weaknesses:    Recently I noticed the pedals feeling spongy and the chain coming off frequently. Crossing streets in heavy traffic became very scary because I didn't know when the chain would derail. This morning I noticed that the whole bottom of the bike was twisting as I pedaled. That when I realized that the angle beam was almost broken in two down near the pedals. luckily I have another bike to ride home on because the frame on this one is toast.

Bottom Line:
I'm not a big guy and this frame should not have broken.

Submitted by GLORIE MORROW

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2013

Strengths:    I've put approximately 2,500 miles on my 2011 Specialized Vita (Sirrus) despite having nerve damage from a past auto accident...this great handling bike is extremely comfortable! Used to favor road bikes, but now I'd never go back!!!
This bike is so well designed, really...I can't fault it, especially as I only paid $440.00 on sale, at a Specialized store in Huntington Beach, CA. I've owned approximately 100 bikes (hobby) but this one is a "daily driver " and with-out the right bike would no longer be able to ride, because of intense pain..so now ... I'm especially great full for this happy and responsive little hybrid...yes I'd highly recommend it...as I'm totally jazzed with it!

Weaknesses:    It really works perfectly as a "daily driver" for errands+exercise, love the responsiveness, styling, quickness, smart engineering..have received a lot of compliments on the bikes styling (esp. from men) so for the sale price of $440.00 it was clearly a find and I have absolutely no complaints!

Bottom Line:
The Men's version is called a Specialized Sirrus and Women's version is called a Specialized Vita, both versions have several component trim levels,depending on what level of performance a rider is seeking. I greatly appreciate the fit of my Vita as because of the women's specific sizing of frame and certain components the Vita works perfectly for me. I might add that this bike did very well in past testing by consumer reports magazine. I've owned much more expensive bikes in my past, however, this little bike is my favorite and the absolute best value I've ever gotten in a new bicycle purchase in
my 40 + years as a bicyclist. happy cycling!

Submitted by Dave-O

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfortable, great for commuting/weekend paved or crushed gravel trail rides.

Weaknesses:    Out of the box, cannot adjust head piece, separate part must be purchased and installed at bike shop.

Bottom Line:
I just purchased mine, and have ridden it enough that I can safely say I am in love with this bike. I tried one of the higher end Sirrus models, and the only difference I noticed from those was more speed and nimbleness. This bike is a great balance between a road bike and a mountain bike for sure. Great on uphills with the 24 speed gearing. My old Huffy was nothing like this, and I love the quick access to the shifters over the twist shifts of my old bike. A great value for sure!!!! Love the lightweight aluminum frame and everything about this bike!

Submitted by treadtread

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2013

Strengths:    Commuting

Weaknesses:    Front derailleur, lack of hand positions

Bottom Line:
I setup the Sirrus as a commuter - for commuter specific modds, see http://treadrightly.blogspot.com/2013/01/specialized-sirrus-my-daily-commuter.html

Sirrus Comp

I just got a sirrus comp, and the weight is right at 23 lbs. Would like to get it down to 20. Has anyone done this and what would you recommend, thanksRead More »

Bridgestone RB-3 vs 1997 Specialized Sirrus

[COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica Neue]I'm looking to sell my Bridgestone RB-3 road bike (early 90s, good condition) to a lighter, newer bike, and I found a possible buy: a 1997 Specialized Sirrus, also in good condition. It has the index shifters and lighter chro-moly frame that I've been looking for, ... Read More »

Vintage Specialized Sirrus or Allez Steel Frame?

I'm looking for a 1987-1988 vintage Sirrus or Allez frame, 54cm, in really good shape. Short of lurking on ebay, is there any sort of "bicycle classified section" for the entire U.S.?Read More »

New bike, Specialized Sirrus Elite

Went to my LBS and found a Sirrus Elite, I got it for a pretty decent price. Roughly $600, this is pretty much my first Road/Hybrid bike. I'm pretty excited to get some miles on this! [ATTACH=CONFIG]283954[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]283955[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]283956[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]283 ... Read More »

Need some help - Specialized Sirrus

Hello, I was hoping some of you experienced folks could take a look at this bike and let me know your thoughts. Is it worth the asking price? Does it look to be in good shape? Thanks in advanced! [url=http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/3866086341.html]vintage specialized sirrus[/url] AdamRead More »