Trek 7.2 FX Hybrid Bike

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

• You'll enjoy yourself and get in shape, too, on Trek's sporty 7.2 FX. This versatile machine features Trek's light Alpha SL aluminum frame with easy-rolling 700c wheels, a combination that lets you ride further and faster with the same effort. Plus, it sports a hill-flattening 24-speed drivetrain and confidence-inspiring linear-pull brakes. And, you'll love the puncture-resistant tires that keep you pedaling worry-free.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Tom Boland a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Strengths:    Great around town
    Great for up to 20+ miles
    Great all-purpose bike

Weaknesses:    Vibration in forearms
    stiff ride (some of which is my fault)

Bottom Line:
    Purchased in 2008. 5000 to 7000 miles on the bike. Great first "real" bike. I use this as my everyday bike, including grocery runs with a bag and paniers on the back. Love it, love it, love it.

I live in Los Angeles coastal area, which means hills. Handles them very well. This bike is better stoplight to stoplight around town than a road bike. I know this because a) I have one and b) I blow the road bikes away (for shorter distances) and I get very surprised looks when I do it.

To fix the vibration issue would take a carbon front fork, which is way too much $$$ at this point.

There really is no mileage limit. Often, I would start out only going for a short 10 mile ride and would end up going 50. Easy peasy. It does not keep up with road bikes on longer rides, but that's OK by me. As good on a 5 mile ride as a 25 mile ride. When going 50 miles, I probably should have gone home and changed to my road bike. That's what road bikes are for, I guess.

Minor changes required:
    * Original seat had to go because of Bike Saddle Neuropathy. Seat replacement is almost a requirement in the first month or so anyway, so I don't blame the bike for this one. Sometimes you get lucky, most times you have to plan on a new seat.
    * Put on 700 x 32cc higher pressure (60 psi) tires on it - makes a big difference in speed, but does make the ride stiffer. It comes with 700 x 35cc (45 psi). Rider's choice on this one.
    * Needed ergo oblong grips because original ones were round profile and started to spin around very soon after purchase.

Maintenance:
    * - Rear wheel needs to have spoke work and be trued up every year or so. Not bad. Still on original rear wheel.
    * - Had to replace front wheel because of user error - mounted too close to the exhaust when on a car bike rack. Driving down the road. "What's that rubber smell?" POP! Wheel went too far out of round and heat damaged it.
    * - Had to replace front brakes ($10) due to rusting on one exposed part. New version of brakes has coating on that part.
    * - Rear tires wear out at 2 to 3 times the rate of the front. Very standard.
    * - Very good on flats (2 or 3 in over 5 years). That is more a function of road surfaces, which are good around here.
    * - Brake pads when necessary - no more than once every 18 months or so.
    * - No cable replacements so far.
    * - Standard clean and lube.

Favorite Ride:   Souht Bay Bik Path

Submitted by Yasin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight
    Effortless, fast ride
    Quality gears and brakes that require minimal maintenance

Weaknesses:    At first feels a little bumpy on trail paths, but you get used to it

Bottom Line:
    I used to have a Carrerra Subway 2 that got stolen, I got the FX 7.2 as a replacement. It turns out the theft was a blessing in disguise. I used to labour with that carrera (especially up hills) with this everything seems so effortless and it's is so much faster.

I cycle to keep fit and mainly use roads and trails. During the first couple of weeks I felt the ride was a lot bumpier than the carrera on trails... but now | barely notice it it.

I keep it clean and oiled. Thus far I haven't had any maintenance problems (have had it for about 6 months). The brakes are still pristine, the tyres have minimal wear and the gears function perfectly.

I really love this bike, the best bike I've ever owned.

Submitted by Chad a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2012

Strengths:    Just wants to go.

Weaknesses:    I have to eat and sleep.

Bottom Line:
    Broke my leg above the ankle 4 months ago. Haven't rode a bike in approx. 2 years. Im 6 feet tall, weigh 235 lbs and 42 years old.

The first day, I rode about 5 miles to see if my leg could tolerate the stress, adjust the seat height, and feel the bikes character. Saddle feels like being slapped with a cactus.

Day two, short ride ( 6 miles) with a gel cushion over original seat. Saddle now feels like being slapped with a mushy cactus.

Day three, internet search for gel seat.

Day four, rode 22 miles. Im in LOVE. I call her Thelma.

Day five. To this point, I havent really pushed the bike. Have to keep my leg in mind and its been a couple of years. Thelma's design just eats miles for me, but today, I couldnt help myself . Short run, up and down hill (NW Baltimore count and city, 12 pothole filled miles). I put in a little work. Thelma is --very--fast. Im now looking for a good aero bar as well as a soft saddle.

I began as a BMX rider. Haven't rode a street bike since we called them 10 speeds. Im to rough for a rode bike, so I have riden mountain bikes in the street for many years. Hey, I might happen across a nice jump or stairway, so I stuck with mountain bikes, but you can keep the suspension forks. I ride city. I like traffic. Worked as a bicycle messenger for 7 months before I went to boot camp (Go Air Force!).

So, I cant plow down a trail, (the H2 tires dont even like damp grass) and I dont see the AT-750 rims holding up to much curb diving, but hey, im 42. Thelma has taken more abuse in 5 days than I assumed she could. Potholes are not an issue (proper tire inflation).

With that said, im giving myself two months to condition my body to go all out. Thelma is encouraging me to go mental NOW.

After riding both, I chose the 7.2 over the 7.3 for the steel fork. Heavier but a smoother ride. Shifting is accurate. Stance on the bike allows for creativity and various upgrades. Cruise around the neighborhood or do 20 miles. The 7.2 is ready.

Plan on getting 25 X 700 tires for speed and distance runs, and the mentioned aero bar and respectable saddle. ...Rode cyclist beware.... I will be the guy passing you wearing cut offs and tennis shoes, then jump a curb while you wait at a stop light.

Thank you, 7 series owners for your reviews. Your opinions helped guide me to this exceptional hybrid.

Paid $499.00 for the 2013 bike and $10.00 bucks for Bontrager pedal clips and straps. Joes Bike Shop. Get the bike, toss the seat.

Submitted by Edwin a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2012

Strengths:    Incredibly smooth ride. Anyone would be able to hit great speed with minimal effort. Gears work perfectly. A feature that people seem to overlook at times are breaks; for me, breaks are the most important thing on a bike. And these breaks work exactly the way I need them to be.

Weaknesses:    A little heavier than I'd like it to be. The stock saddle isn't too comfortable; I have already adjusted its angle and will probably just replace it with another seat/saddle.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike just a few days ago and have only rode it for a handful of miles so I can't comment on the lifeline of this bike, but it seems that this bike will provide its riders an incredible value for its price. Would recommend this bike to anyone who commutes often and/or rides for recreational or fitness purposes.

Purchased At:   International Bicycl

Submitted by Isabeau a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth ride, stable, absorbs shocks well. I've had no problems with the shifters-they are smooth. A little clicking on the first front sprocket/high gear-third front sprocket/low gear combos, but that's to be expected.

Weaknesses:    Stock seat was wretched! Truly painful! I had to replace it once I started doing 7+ mile rides. The grips were also sub-par.

I've had a lot of problems with numbness in my hands since I started riding, but that's a personal issue and not necessarily the bike's fault. I've made adjustments that help (the new grips and end grips and of course gloves) and the bike has been properly fitted to me.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike on June 1st of this year, so I've actually been riding closer to six months than three. It's also a 2009 model-I couldn't select that on the drop-down. I am big, overweight woman (5'10-237 lbs.) and wanted a bike to ride for fitness. I specifically said that I did not want a road bike (I did not know how serious I would be about riding and I was scared of them) and looked at commuter bikes, but the salesperson steered me towards this bike. It was a good choice. I've probably put about 600 miles on it (a guestimate) since I bought it. The longest ride is 19 miles so far.

I rented a road bike (low end Jamis) recently to see if I was ready to try one and I will eventually, but I think I will keep riding this bike over the winter. Some of the roads I ride on have rough and broken pavement, and this bike handles them more comfortably than the road bike did, though it is certainly heavier. It also gears down lower than the road bike did and I am still having to gear way down to get up hills. Road bikes zip past me all the time when I'm riding, but I didn't get it to race. It is certainly a more stable and secure-seeming ride for someone who hadn't ridden in decades like me, and the geometry is very basic and upright. Overall, I think it is a good value for the money, and a good entry bike for someone just getting back into riding. With some effort, you can get up some decent speed, and it performs well enough not to be frustrating. I don't know enough about bikes in general to know if the frame is good enough that it would be worth upgrading the bike's components. Even if I buy a road bike, I will probably keep this one around for standard commutes and rides to the grocery.

Favorite Ride:   Trek 7.2 FX hybrid

Purchased At:   Scheller's-Lexington

Similar Products Used:   A Takaya road bike way back in college days.

Bike Setup:   Ergon grips, Lookin coolxsenium 60 degree moderate seat, handlebar end grips, a rear rack.

7.5 FX vs 7.2 FX ....Is it worth the money?

I am sorry if this post is not in the correct thread. I bought a 2014 7.2 FX for my son and I actually like it better then my Specialized Hybrid. So I am thinking about getting a 7.5 FX I am just wondering if the $500 difference is justified. I am a fitness rider on paved and hardpack rail trails an ... Read More »

Trek 1.2 vs 7.5 FX

Hey all, Just looking for some opinions on a bike. I'm looking for a bike that I can commute with (wearing a backpack) 10 miles, can use for physical fitness, and also take on some weekend rides with my girlfriend. I'm looking for something quick, and also comfortable. I had my heart set on a ... Read More »

Carbon Hybrid Bikes- Cannondale Quick Carbon 2 Vs. Trek 7.9 fx

Hi Gang - This is my first post to the forum and could use some advice about 2-3 bikes I am looking to purchase this next week. All bikes are 2010 models. I am considering one of the following bikes: [B]Cannondale Quick Carbon 2[/B]. It is priced at $1899.00 [B]Trek [I]7.7 fx[/I][/B]. It ... Read More »

Trek FX 7.5 or Giant Rapid 2

I am in the market for a new bike and have been looking at the Trek FX 7.5 and the Giant Rapid 2. Which bike has the better components?Read More »

Specialized Globe Vienna 2 vs Trek 7.2 FX

I'm looking for a new bike. I ride mostly on the road, but take the occasional dirt path or through a wooded area. No hard core mountain trails and no street marathons. I've tested out a few bikes and narrowed it down to the Specialized Globe Vienna 2 and Trek 7.2 FX. I liked them both but can't dec ... Read More »