Trek 7.3 FX Hybrid Bike

4.13/5 (23 Reviews)

• Whether cruising to work or to play, Trek's 7.3 FX is the ideal ride. Trek's Alpha-aluminum frame is lightweight for easy pedaling and excellent handling, and the fast-rolling 700c wheels let you ride further and faster with less effort. Plus, this great machine sports a hill-flattening 24-speed Shimano drivetrain and confidence-inspiring Avid linear-pull brakes.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by manolo

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2013

Strengths:    One of the best bikes I ever owned ! Now it is 5 yrs old, and it is in good shape. Only things I had to replace were the brake pads. This year I had to replace the pedals for the first time. Last season I had made 1500 km mainly on the roads with various surfaces. Bike is built from good quality parts.

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
    One of the best bikes I ever owned ! Now it is 5 yrs old, and it is in good shape. Only things I had to replace were the brake pads. This year I had to replace the pedals for the first time. Last season 2012 I had made 1500 km mainly on the roads with various surfaces. Bike is built from good quality parts.

Submitted by Timothy Takemoto

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2013

Strengths:    Strong, durable, faster than an MTB, mudguards are fittable, frame style, sporty commuter

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, upright, slower than a road bike, rattles your teeth on old tarmac, not really a touring/recreational long-ride bike unless you are pretty heavy

Bottom Line:
    I have had mine for about 6 years mainly for my daily 5 mile commute at bout 20mph (30kph). This bike is exceptionally durable and strong. I have recently (i.e. after more than 5 years of use) changed the plastic pedals for some aluminium ones, replaced a rear brake (one of the tensioner springs broke and they were not sold separately) and the rear wheel (a spoke broke and the rim was worn down) but I think that I have had the same tires since new. I may even put the old rear tire on my new wheel since it has better grip! The only flats I have had were pinch flats from not keep enough air in the tires.

At the same time I had hoped that I would be able to use the bike recreationally, as I did my previous commuter which was an entry level Giant road bike converted to a hybrid style with flat handlebars. I was able to use the lighter Giant for both recreation and commuting. I did try taking this bike for 25km runs but it is a bit too heavy, and the sturdy frame transfers too much of the road surface irregularities to the rider. I ended up purchasing a carbon bike for recreational use - my best purchase ever.

So I recommend that anyone that wants to do more than commute should at least get the 7.5 with carbon forks, or put some carbon forks on this (they can be had cheap from China). I also recommend removing the stem (the 10cm bit of tube that holds the handlebars to the headset at the top of the front fork), flipping it over so that it is angled down, and moving the spacers from below to above the stem for a more sporty / less upright ride. I also put some clips on the pedals. I don't do them, so I can get out easily, up but just stick my toes into them. Finally, to improve ride comfort I put a center-hollow Selle SMP Hybrid saddle on it.

Bottom line: Good reliable fast A to B commuter.

Submitted by Desertdawg6

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good in Gray. Bike is light and responsive as well as shifts smoothly

Weaknesses:    Brakes wore out quickly. Factory seat is pretty hard

Bottom Line:
    Had this bike for 1 year now and I love it. I commute about 6 miles a day on it, but ride 10-15 miles on any given day for exercise. Bike is light and responsive. It also has a great look to it. Not sure I would buy this bike if I were riding 50 miles at a time. The handle bars keep you upright which can get tiring on long rides. In addition, riding upright does not let you cut down on wind resistence during longer rides. Having said that, if you are looking for a great bike at a great price that you can ride 10-20 miles at a time and feel proud of, then this is it.

Submitted by Ben Kotvis

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2012

Strengths:    Looks good. Tires and wheels are nice.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket is junk.

Bottom Line:
    I bought this bike and didn't ride it much for the first 9 months. Then I started commuting to work with it and noticed my bottom bracket had way too much play in it. I took it to the Trek store and I had to pay $50 to replace the BB. I was told that they used the cheapest BB they could find when they made this bike. Nice to hear. I wish they would have told me that before buying it.

Submitted by Cary

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2012

Strengths:    Light and agile, but still durable. Fast. Not too flashy. The tires won't quit if you pay them.

Weaknesses:    Brakes are not the best. Can be a bone shaker on rougher roads.

Bottom Line:
    After having put over 2000 miles on this bike I feel I am in a place to give a proper review. When I bought the bike I weighed 215 lbs and I was not easy on it (although now thanks to the bike I am around 185 lbs) so that tells you a little about the durability. I came to this bike from a mountain bike and the difference in speed is amazing. I don't go off road very often but on grass and packed gravel it does just fine. The frame is extemely stiff, which is good when it comes to going fast, but will rattle your brain when riding on rough roads at speed. A carbon fork would most likely help out on that. The tires are beasts. I have roughly 2200 miles on them and they are still going strong, not a single flat. I don't know how many piles of glass and jagged rocks I have flown through on my daily commute and still not a single problem. The saddle takes a little getting used to, like all saddles, but I actually like it. The brakes are not the best. Really, the brakes are probably just fine, I just have terrible luck with brake pads. Even the cheap orignal resin pedals lasted about 2000 miles. All in all, I love this bike and I will most certainly put another 2200 miles on it before I look into buying another. However if you can afford it, I would go for the 7.5 with the carbon fork for a smoother ride.

Trek 1.1 or 7.3 FX

Hey everyone, I'm looking at starting to ride more for exercise and enjoyment. I currently have a mountain bike but want a little more speed. I mainly ride on bike paths and go an average of 20-30 miles each ride. I'm kind of stuck between the Trek 1.1 or the 7.3 FX. They are both pretty cl ... Read More »

Trek 7.3 FX vs Giant Rapid 3

I'm looking to start commuting to/from work (6 miles one way) as well as longer rides on the weekend to work on losing weight and improving overall fitness. I've been looking at three bikes, a 2009 Giant Rapid 3($579), a 2009 Specialized Sirrus($499), and a 2008 Trek 7.3 FX. The Trek was found in ... Read More »

My new 2009 Trek 7.3 FX

Hey all. I just picked up my new Trek 7.3 FX in candy apple red a few days ago. I love it! I added the Trek 8i Incite wireless comp and toe straps. More to come. Here's are some pics from day 1. I apologize for the crappy photo quality; cell phone images! I love my Trek! [IMG]http://image ... Read More »

Trek FX 7.3 2008 vs 2009

Trek FX 7.3 2008 vs 2009 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi I was about to buy a 2008 and it seems that the 2009 is either out or coming out. The question is what is the difference between them or is this just mental masturbation. I w ... Read More »

Trek FX 7.3 2008 vs 2009

Hi I was about to buy a 2008 and it seems that the 2009 is either out or coming out. The question is what is the difference between them or is this just mental masturbation. I will be using the bike as a casual rider for trips from 5 to 25 miles at a time and mostly on bike paths and stree ... Read More »