Trek 7.5 FX Hybrid Bike

4.26/5 (19 Reviews)

• Light and rugged. Fast and strong. You get the best of both worlds with Trek's 7.5 FX! Its FX Alpha hydroformed-aluminum frame provides an efficient, comfortable ride, while the Bontrager carbon fork is super light and damps vibrations for a velvety-smooth ride. You'll also appreciate the light Bontrager SSR wheels and the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires, which are equally at home on roads, paths, and trails. Plus, the 27-speed drivetrain gives you the right gear for any hill and pace, and the linear-pull brakes offer total control.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Michael Young a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2013

Strengths:    Let me start by saying this is not a hybrid. Trek classifies this as a fitness bike. As an in town commuter, this is quite simply the best bike I've ever bought. It's fast,agile, and extremely reliable mechanically. Mine is the 2011 model with the hydraulic disc brakes. As for those that say the brakes are finicky, I can't say that I've seen that on mine, even with me putting over 3000 miles on mine in the first year. In fact,other than adjusting for cable stretch, I had absolutely no mechanical issues with mine. None. The only thing I changed on mine was the tires, I switched the factory tires for the 110 psi Racelites, which boosted the top end performance immensely.

Weaknesses:    The only problem I could point out is that it's not terribly good on loose surfaces. So I simply modified my routes to avoid areas that have loose gravel etc.

Bottom Line:
    This was an outstanding bike for the money. It's a shame Trek dropped it in their 2013 line up. If you can get one used, I wouldn't hesitate to say grab it.

Purchased At:   Bicycle X-Change Sho

Submitted by PF

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2012

Strengths:    Light & Responsive. Carbon fork is easy on the elbows. I never had a problem with the seat once I started wearing cycling shorts. It is like a road bike for people who don't want a road bike. Well built.

Weaknesses:    Lever for front derailleur (left hand) is tough on the thumb as a lot of pressure is needed to change the gear. Not a problem with the rear (right hand).

Bottom Line:
    I have a 2009, bought in September of 2008. Previously, I had had a GT hybrid for 13 years. This Trek was much lighter. I have never had a flat tire with this one! I bought the bike at Metro Bikes, NYC. I brought it in for yearly maintenance. It never needed anything else, except new brake pads. I did upgrade, after several years, to pedals that I could clip into . Eventually, in Sept. of 2012, I decided to up the ante and ride with a bike club. They all ride road bikes, so I am making the switch. Also, for me, I thought that the varied hand positions on a road bike would be better for the health of my upper extremeties as I begin to approach and will soon exceed 50 mile rides. But for 35 mile casual rides, this bike fits the bill!

Submitted by Randolph Coble

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike for the price! Have had it 18 months now and put 3400 miles on it. Changed tires and went with Continental Gator Skins, just for a change and I'm well pleased with them after about 250 miles. Ride is smooth and changing gears a breeze. At 70 years old, both of these is a real plus. Had a vine catch my helmet last month and got a double flip off the back end of the bike with a lot of road rash to my knee, leg and arm. Bicycle took it hard laying down on the pavement. Twenty min. At the bike shop and she was looking just as good as before the accident.

Weaknesses:    None considering the price.

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line, I'm More than satisfied. It answers my need for exercise and a daily hobby. In my area, seashore NC , we enjoy pretty good winters most years so I'm able to use the bike year round. Looking forward to many more thousands of miles, God willing. Two Wheeler Dealer in Wilmington, NC is where I purchased the bike and all my incidental equipment, clothing, etc. Can't say enough good things about them and their staff. Very professional and helpful in every way.

Submitted by Craig

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2012

Strengths:    Have put 200 miles on my 2013 Carrera Blue 7.5 FX and I truly LOVE this bike. My previous ride was a 7.3FX and I'm very happy with the upgrades which include carbon front fork, monostay rear frame and 24 spoke rims. The carbon fork and monostay frame do seem to smooth out the ride. This the derailer is the same as what I had on the 7.3 but this thing shifts liek a dream, fast & sure. The brakes are outstanding. I ride paved roads, side walks and bike trails and this this performs like a dream. Added a node 2.1 computer, rack and new seat.

Weaknesses:    Seat was not comfortable, changed it before I brought the bike home

Bottom Line:
    Putting lots of miles on this bike, riding it is a pure joy, very pleased with the purchase. When Trek added the monostay frame and offered the 7.5 in Carrera Blue, made the decision to buy immediately. Loved my 7.3 but everything about the 7.5 is more refined, more high performance. Getting used to 18 vs 24 speeds. I'd probably prefer 24 but the move to 18 is not that big a deal, use every gear and have had no issues. Was a little concerned about the 700x28 tires on sidewalks compared to 700x32 on the 7.3. No issues, they wear like iron and handle like a dream. The paint job and graphics on this bike are outstanding, I love just looking at the bike. Very happy with my Trek 7.5FX, intend to own this bike for a very long time and log thousands of miles. .

Submitted by Bud Woods a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2012

Strengths:    Good riding position for an old guy with an 'iffy' lower back. Did RAGBRAI with it this year and had zero problems w/ it. Our team propbably ranked in the top 25-30% of finishers each day so we were not dawdling out there. Shifters work well [now better than when new]. Chain ring shifts are slow and must be held when shifting into big ring for a moment to avoid chain issues. Not a deal-breaker but I did have to adjust to its character. Brakes are superb; I have the disc brake model and they're fade-free wet or dry. My Trek bike shop exemplifies 'customer service'. It's a very smooth roller and often I an outcoast the racing bikes costing several thou more.

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket started making noises ~3 months old and a 'clicking' noise was there sometimes and then not - hard to diagnose. Finally, it was determined to be a bracket failure & Trek replaced in an expedited fashion. BB's have a 7K-10K? lifespan but I had less than 1K on it when it failed.

Bottom Line:
    Good, solid machine for what it purports to be. It's rugged [I'm a 215 pounder & it's taking me on nicely]. It's too heavy to be a pure road machine but if you utilize 700x23's on it, it will keep up with most of the traffic on a typical ride. I may add a graphite-framed road machine to my stable for use with the longer rides or to add that extra 2 mph to keep up with the kids. I'm 69. :-)

2012 Trek FX 7.5 or Giant 2013 Escape 0

[COLOR=#000000]Looking for an all around bike for cruising. Found both of these. The Trek is 50 less. [/COLOR] [COLOR=#000000]Any suggestions? They are willing to put same size tire on Trek so I can go on light trails. [/COLOR] [COLOR=#000000]Thanks in advance.[/COLOR]Read More »

Trek 1.2 vs 7.5 FX

Hey all, Just looking for some opinions on a bike. I'm looking for a bike that I can commute with (wearing a backpack) 10 miles, can use for physical fitness, and also take on some weekend rides with my girlfriend. I'm looking for something quick, and also comfortable. I had my heart set on a ... Read More »

Trek 1.1 or fx 7.5 touring

I have a trek 1.1 road bike but i can get a trek fx 7.5 used great shape. Will the 1.1 hold up to pulling a bob trailer for a two day trip.Read More »

Trek FX 7.5 or Giant Rapid 2

I am in the market for a new bike and have been looking at the Trek FX 7.5 and the Giant Rapid 2. Which bike has the better components?Read More »

My 1st China commute on my Trek 7.5 FX pictures

The first 2 pictures is where I am starting on the little commute. Round trip was 18.4 miles, and it took me 50 minutes each way to complete. [IMG]http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j220/turbocar/DSC00016.jpg[/IMG] Here in the 2nd picture is looking towards the mountain I need to get on the oth ... Read More »