Trek 7.5 FX Hybrid Bike

4.3/5 (20 Reviews)

• Light and rugged. Fast and strong. You get the best of both worlds with Trek's 7.5 FX! Its FX Alpha hydroformed-aluminum frame provides an efficient, comfortable ride, while the Bontrager carbon fork is super light and damps vibrations for a velvety-smooth ride. You'll also appreciate the light Bontrager SSR wheels and the Bontrager Race Lite Hardcase tires, which are equally at home on roads, paths, and trails. Plus, the 27-speed drivetrain gives you the right gear for any hill and pace, and the linear-pull brakes offer total control.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Steven a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2015

Strengths:    Light weight, very smooth ride. Upright riding position, Deore rear derailleur. Feels like a road bike.

Weaknesses:    Shifting on front chain ring is somewhat poor.

Bottom Line:
    Just got a 2014 model on sale at lbs. This bike is definitely worth the price! The Isozone and carbon fork smooth out all the road vibration and I like the road bike gearing. The compact double still allows for me to climb some steep hills in the saddle. The Deore rear derailleur shifts very crisply every time. I like the black paint. The only complaint is the "clunky" shifting on the front chain ring. I had a 2010 7.3 FX that I rode on BRAN in 2011, after that bike was stolen I missed it for almost 4 years but no more, the 2014 7.5 FX is awesome! A road bike in disguise!

Favorite Ride:   To work

Purchased At:   Trek Store

Similar Products Used:   2010 Trek 7.3 FX

Submitted by Michael Young a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2013

Strengths:    Let me start by saying this is not a hybrid. Trek classifies this as a fitness bike. As an in town commuter, this is quite simply the best bike I've ever bought. It's fast,agile, and extremely reliable mechanically. Mine is the 2011 model with the hydraulic disc brakes. As for those that say the brakes are finicky, I can't say that I've seen that on mine, even with me putting over 3000 miles on mine in the first year. In fact,other than adjusting for cable stretch, I had absolutely no mechanical issues with mine. None. The only thing I changed on mine was the tires, I switched the factory tires for the 110 psi Racelites, which boosted the top end performance immensely.

Weaknesses:    The only problem I could point out is that it's not terribly good on loose surfaces. So I simply modified my routes to avoid areas that have loose gravel etc.

Bottom Line:
    This was an outstanding bike for the money. It's a shame Trek dropped it in their 2013 line up. If you can get one used, I wouldn't hesitate to say grab it.

Purchased At:   Bicycle X-Change Sho

Submitted by PF

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2012

Strengths:    Light & Responsive. Carbon fork is easy on the elbows. I never had a problem with the seat once I started wearing cycling shorts. It is like a road bike for people who don't want a road bike. Well built.

Weaknesses:    Lever for front derailleur (left hand) is tough on the thumb as a lot of pressure is needed to change the gear. Not a problem with the rear (right hand).

Bottom Line:
    I have a 2009, bought in September of 2008. Previously, I had had a GT hybrid for 13 years. This Trek was much lighter. I have never had a flat tire with this one! I bought the bike at Metro Bikes, NYC. I brought it in for yearly maintenance. It never needed anything else, except new brake pads. I did upgrade, after several years, to pedals that I could clip into . Eventually, in Sept. of 2012, I decided to up the ante and ride with a bike club. They all ride road bikes, so I am making the switch. Also, for me, I thought that the varied hand positions on a road bike would be better for the health of my upper extremeties as I begin to approach and will soon exceed 50 mile rides. But for 35 mile casual rides, this bike fits the bill!

Submitted by Randolph Coble

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2012

Strengths:    Great bike for the price! Have had it 18 months now and put 3400 miles on it. Changed tires and went with Continental Gator Skins, just for a change and I'm well pleased with them after about 250 miles. Ride is smooth and changing gears a breeze. At 70 years old, both of these is a real plus. Had a vine catch my helmet last month and got a double flip off the back end of the bike with a lot of road rash to my knee, leg and arm. Bicycle took it hard laying down on the pavement. Twenty min. At the bike shop and she was looking just as good as before the accident.

Weaknesses:    None considering the price.

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line, I'm More than satisfied. It answers my need for exercise and a daily hobby. In my area, seashore NC , we enjoy pretty good winters most years so I'm able to use the bike year round. Looking forward to many more thousands of miles, God willing. Two Wheeler Dealer in Wilmington, NC is where I purchased the bike and all my incidental equipment, clothing, etc. Can't say enough good things about them and their staff. Very professional and helpful in every way.

Submitted by Craig

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2012

Strengths:    Have put 200 miles on my 2013 Carrera Blue 7.5 FX and I truly LOVE this bike. My previous ride was a 7.3FX and I'm very happy with the upgrades which include carbon front fork, monostay rear frame and 24 spoke rims. The carbon fork and monostay frame do seem to smooth out the ride. This the derailer is the same as what I had on the 7.3 but this thing shifts liek a dream, fast & sure. The brakes are outstanding. I ride paved roads, side walks and bike trails and this this performs like a dream. Added a node 2.1 computer, rack and new seat.

Weaknesses:    Seat was not comfortable, changed it before I brought the bike home

Bottom Line:
    Putting lots of miles on this bike, riding it is a pure joy, very pleased with the purchase. When Trek added the monostay frame and offered the 7.5 in Carrera Blue, made the decision to buy immediately. Loved my 7.3 but everything about the 7.5 is more refined, more high performance. Getting used to 18 vs 24 speeds. I'd probably prefer 24 but the move to 18 is not that big a deal, use every gear and have had no issues. Was a little concerned about the 700x28 tires on sidewalks compared to 700x32 on the 7.3. No issues, they wear like iron and handle like a dream. The paint job and graphics on this bike are outstanding, I love just looking at the bike. Very happy with my Trek 7.5FX, intend to own this bike for a very long time and log thousands of miles. .