Trek 7.7 FX Hybrid Bike

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

• Trek's 7.7 FX delivers unparalleled versatility — it rockets along roads, cruises along bike paths and can even handle dirt roads. Its Trek FX Alpha Black Series aluminum frame is light and strong, providing easy riding for years to come and even features carbon seatstays to cushion your excursions. Plus, the carbon Bontrager Satellite fork with built-in elastomers damps road vibrations for an ultra-smooth ride. And, the list of awesome components is practically endless and includes easy-pedaling Bontrager Select wheels, a precision Shimano 30-speed drivetrain, quick-stopping Shimano V-Brakes and even clipless pedals.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by trekernut a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2012

Bottom Line:
    This is a 2012 FX 7.7 . Love the color . Very comfortable bike to ride . I am a 70 year old Snowbird that spends the winters in Tucson Az . Handles the climbs & rolling hills in Tucson Az The Shimano 105 components are well suited for this smooth riding bike . Fast , light & handles very well. The IsoZone Monostays absorbs the road bumps nicely as advertized. I put Schwalbe Ultrimo 28cc tires on for more comfort , they are slick & enhance the appearance & are fast . Also swapped out the pedals for Shimano Duro Ace . I have no more numbness in the hands with the Ergo Grips. I ride about 100KMS a week & wanted a fast comfortable flat bar , & this is it .
    In my opinion this bike is well worth the $.

Favorite Ride:   Tucson Az

Purchased At:   Bikes & Beyond Wpg.

Submitted by Bert a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2011

Bottom Line:
    very , very good bike . Difference in price compared to 7.6 definitly worth . Much lighter and much better components .

Favorite Ride:   Trek 7.7 FX 2011

Purchased At:   Dupont , Kortrijk ,

Similar Products Used:   other bikes : Specialized stumpjumper FSR '07 ; custom Trek 8000 '01 ; Time Edge first racebike

Bike Setup:   shimano 105 , Bontrager race

Submitted by jeffpoulin a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is very light without being too stiff for long rides. Great components. 105 crank, cassette, and front dérailleur. Ultegra rear dérailleur. Handles very well.

Weaknesses:    I wish it had better brakes (e.g. XT instead of M431, or disc brakes would be nice too). When I put on my front brake while going downhill, the whole bike shakes. This doesn't happen with the rear brake. The 24-spoke wheels, while fast and light, do not seem very strong. My front wheel went out of true after hitting a pothole and I had to spend some time truing it back up. By contrast, my 36-spoke touring wheels on my Cannondale have never gone out of true despite taking far more abuse.

Bottom Line:
    Bought the 2008 7.7 FX three months ago at the LBS for 1200 euros (about $1750) primarily for commuting to work 40 km/day. I actually wanted the Trek Portland, but they don't sell them outside the U.S., so I settled for the FX instead. At first, I was not too excited about the style. In fact, I thought it looked rather ugly. However, it had everything I needed to make it a worthy commuter and good hybrids are hard to find around here (most bike shops here only carry high-end road or mountain bikes with nothing in-between). I've since put 1600km (about 1000 miles) on the bike and I must say that I'm very pleased with it. It handles beautifully... smooth and fast. It's such a joy to ride that I even look forward to my commute in sub-zero temperatures. The bike weighs just under 10kg (about 22 lbs), so it's quite light for a hybrid.

Favorite Ride:   Bike path around lake Annecy

Purchased At:   Veloland in France

Similar Products Used:   First hybrid I've owned, although I've ridden road, mountain, and touring bikes for years.

Bike Setup:   Stock with added bar ends.

Submitted by Jeff a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Favorite Ride:   Bike path around lake Annecy

Purchased At:   Veloland in France

Bike Setup:   Stock with added bar ends.

Submitted by Andy Young a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2009

Strengths:    Fantastic ride on pavement. I'm looking forward to testing it out on crushed limestone bike paths. I switched from 700 x 28 to 700 x32 tires to accomodate the trails better. My wife received her 7.7 a few months before me and was kicking my but on the trails. On the paved roads, I'm able to take the lead again and set a good pace. The components on this bike are incredible. It's also incredibly light in comparison to the hybids. Great bike for the money if you plan on doing lots of riding.

Weaknesses:    May want to avoid bike paths/trails that are too rough. This bike is more responsive/delicate than the hybids.

Bottom Line:
    I received my new 2009 Trek FX 7.7 about a month ago and am absolutely thrilled with it. My wife has the same bike only the 2007 model. She has had her bike since September of 2008. Prior to the FX bikes, we both had Trek 7300 hybrids. Most our riding has been on crushed limestone and some paved bike trails. The Fx 7.7 is by far more efficient than the 7300 hybids (great climber, quicker acceleration and faster cruising speed). We will be planning some longer trips this spring summer and fall.

Favorite Ride:   Trek FX 7.7

Purchased At:   Trek of Pittsburgh

Similar Products Used:   My wife and I moved up from the Trek 7300 hybrids to the FX 7.7 to icrease our ride efficiency. We are both over 50 and wanted to stay with a flat bar bike that could keep up with the road bikes and still negotiate bike paths that were decent condition.

Bike Setup:   I swapped out the 700 x 28 tires with 700 x 32's to better handle bike trails. I also swapped out the Wellgo pedals with Shimano 540's.

Trek FX is the FX 7.7 worth the price vs. 7.4 or 7.5

I have decieded to purchase a Trek FX bike. Took a test ride on a 7.2, 7.3 and a 7.5. After a test ride... ruled out the 7.2. Wanted to ride the 7.4 and the 7.7 but they didn't have any available. The 7.5 seemed to shift and ride better of the 3. Do I upgrade to a 7.7? Is it even a better ride than ... Read More »

Upgrade components on a Trek 7.1 FX

I have a 2012 Trek 7.1 FX with a mix of low-end Shimano 7 speed components. I don't like the shifting on it and I am considering upgrading the components. Here is the build: Brakeset Tektro linear pull Shift Levers Shimano EF-51 EZ Fire 7spd Front Derailleur Shimano Tourney Rear Derailleu ... Read More »

Trek 7.4 FX disc , anyone know any similar bikes?

[url=http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_4_fx_disc/]7.4 FX Disc - Trek Bicycle[/url] What I'd like for the winter: Flat bars Disc brakes (hydraulic) No carbon (unless in the fork, which is fine) so alum. or steel is okay Rigid (no suspension) The 7.4 FX seems to fit th ... Read More »

7.5 FX vs 7.2 FX ....Is it worth the money?

I am sorry if this post is not in the correct thread. I bought a 2014 7.2 FX for my son and I actually like it better then my Specialized Hybrid. So I am thinking about getting a 7.5 FX I am just wondering if the $500 difference is justified. I am a fitness rider on paved and hardpack rail trails an ... Read More »

7.3 fx wsd

Hi all. Not sure if this is the appropriate forum (I know it's ROAD bike review...), but thought I'd ask regardless. My wife just picked up a 2013 7.3 FX WSD. After bringing it home from the LBS, I noticed that there's a gap of approximately 0.5" between the bottom bracket area and the non-drives ... Read More »