Trek 7700 Hybrid Bike

4.2/5 (5 Reviews)

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: 71.5 head, 73.5 seat
Sizes: 15", 17.5", 20", 22.5"
Colors: Charcoal/Brushed
Pedals: Shimano PD-M324 SPD
Tires: 700 x 35c Bontrager Select

Submitted by Neil Foster

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2012

Strengths:    Study frame, high-quality components (1998 model) and very comfortable.

Weaknesses:    The early models had high-end components. Newer models are not as good

Bottom Line:
Bought one of the first bikes out of the factory in 1998 AWESOME BIKE

Submitted by Bruce Wakefield a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2010

Strengths:    Light,stable,economical when you figure the amount of comfortable miles I have on it.Lots of XT components-tricked out nicely for the price of bike.7700 good for serious old man rider like me. Comfy, but business like. Wheels have not needed truing in 5 years.

Weaknesses:    Suspension seatpost,long cranks.Spinning is better for knees than pushing 175's. Would rather have fixed stem, but adjustable ok

Bottom Line:
Good commuter bike-light and able to handle Maine back roads that suffer from cold winters. Very stable, and fairly impervious to flats. Good century bike.Very good on gas(sorry Mid-East)Must after purchase,lose the suspension seatpost-Yes you hit bumps, but every time you pedal that baby squishes up and down-even if just a little-it wore on my knees after hundreds of miles.Also for a 17.5" bike-crankarms 175. Changed to LX 170's- much better.I'm 5'8". Frame fine fit, cranks too long. Make dealer change when you purchase.

Favorite Ride:   Trek 7700

Purchased At:   Cape-Able Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Also have C'dale H600, I feel equally as good as 7700,components not as nice, but rides almost better than Trek. C'dale has studded winter tires-700c-remarkable on ice. Never gone down-really stable on black ice, famous in Maine.

Bike Setup:   Seat height=1.09 inseam bare feet, bottom of pedal stroke to top of seat. Stem@10 degree rise,monkey bars. Fore-aft-knee over pedal w/plumb bob

Submitted by Rocsolid Biker a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2008

Strengths:    Drivetrain, wheels, tires,seat,post shock,

Weaknesses:    The Bontrager SPA fork. It completely ruins the bicycle experience. I would give this bike 5 stars for price and quality, unfortunately this bike really only ends up being spare parts.

Bottom Line:
I actually have the 2008 model, really wish I had gotten the 2007. This bike is absolutely awesome as far as weight and drivetrain. Sometimes the shifting is so smooth I really don't feel as if I have shifted at all. The new Shimano LX Front shifter has a two way down shift which can cause problems while trying to shift up gear you often hit the other shifter thus jamming it. The Tires run through gravel and dirt on the side of the road excellently. All but one of the small flaws in the bike can be fixed except the front fork shock is terribly under tensioned causing the shock to collapse to about 10mm travel instead of 35mm. This causes the shock to bottom out on even small shocks when set to max tension. Due to the bottom of the boot not being connected in anyway and the impact it takes on almost all bumps the boot will rise up anytime your full weight is not on the bike causing dirt and grime to get in and destroy the shock piston. Trek refused to admit to these problems and gave quick fixes such as to glue the boot to the bottom which didn't work due to the bottom getting slammed over and over again. This bike may work for someone of about 140lbs maybe less with the shock set at max tension. I would not reccomend it to anyone though really. Its just too much money for such a primary equipment flaw. I'd highly reccomend the Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra over this. The Bad Boys more expensive, with some lower end parts, but atleast it can be upgraded. Thats my new bike as soon as I can get a refund or credit for this bike. I really don't think I could even sell this bike in good conscience.

Favorite Ride:   Route 11 from Carlisle to Hagerstown approx 60 miles

Purchased At:   Coles Custom Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh C40, which cost 700 less and was a better bike, just due to the front shock being useful.

Bike Setup:   Bontrager rear rack with interchange, deluxe Trek Interchange bag, Onguard Skewer and seatpost lock.

Submitted by Douglas Jenree a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2007

Strengths:    This bike gives great handling over bad pavement and trails . The shifters and brakes are more than adequate for the job.

Weaknesses:    None that I have found over many hundreds of miles .

Bottom Line:
Smooth riding , excellent handling , very responsive !! The quality of the components is first rate , never any trouble at all . My dealer takes excellent care of me .

Favorite Ride:   Trek 7700

Purchased At:   Wheelcraft , Wheelin

Similar Products Used:   Trek mountain bikes , Trek pilot 5.0 .

Bike Setup:   Factory except for nitropro gas seatpost and Serfas mens rx seat .

Submitted by scott a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2007

Strengths:    nice bike at the time

Weaknesses:    o

Bottom Line:
o

Favorite Ride:   ms150

Purchased At:   plymouth schwinn

Similar Products Used:   7500

Bike Setup:   0

10 speed Sram cassette on a 7700 DA hub

Would a newer model 10 speed Sram cassette fit on the older model 7700 DA hub?Read More »

DA 7700 brake caliper spring tension

Spring tension seems to have weakened. The calipers no longer snap back when the lever is released and are actually slack when the brake qr is flipped. I Have tried new 7900 cables but no change. The 7700's do not have the set screw adjuster like the 7800 and 7900 calipers. Any suggestions?Read More »

Shimano Dura Ace 7700 BB question

I have the BB noted above and after 20,000 or so miles, it seems a bit grainy when I spin the crank arm. Can these BBs be rebuilt (new ball bearings)? If not, can anyone tell me where I can get a good price on a new one (I prefer the 7700)? Thanks in advance!Read More »

Good chain for Old Dura Ace 7700 group

Hello all: My brother and I are putting an older bike together for him with some older parts/frame. Thanks to the good graces of a member of my bike club we got into a 7700 group in pretty good shape. We need to put a chain on it. I have used the SRAM powerlink chains and like them but should ... Read More »

$7700 prototype! Unique!

This looks like it was designed by someone who has never rode a bicycle...can't imagine what the steering and handling must be like. I'd bid ten bucks tops. [url=http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Pi-Cycle-1-unique-36volts-Electric-Bicycle-One-off-Prototype-cost-over-12-000-/221169955736?pt=Road_Bikes&has ... Read More »