Trek Navigator 300 Hybrid Bike

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: 70.5 head, 72.5 seat
Sizes: 14.5", 16.5", 18.5", 21", womens 14.5", womens 16.5", womens 18.5"
Colors: Blue/Silver, Silver/Black Chrome
Pedals: resin
Tires: 26 x 1.95" Bontrager Comfort HC

Submitted by emv3003 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2005

Strengths:    Very comfortable
Easy riding
Free through my bonus program.

Weaknesses:    The bike is quite heavy.
Saddle.

Bottom Line:
Work has a bonus points system that requires you to chose from several items from Cyber Gift World. There are a few different bikes one of which was the Navigator 300. This is normally not a cheap bike and because I wanted something to use when riding with my wife and kids I checked it out. I am only 36 years old and used to doing alot of hard road training on my Trek 1400 all aluminum. Just purchased a new Trek 5000 but won't be able to use it until the weather turns. To say the least there is absolutely nothing similar between this bike and the road bike other than they are both aluminum. The riding position is very upright and comfortable which is great when riding with the family. This same description of course makes it very difficult to ride the bike hard. The saddle is spring loaded and sits on a shock absorbing post. I would prefer a narrower saddle but that is personal preference. Front forks are shock absorbing with adjustable compression. This is a great feature. I have it dialed to firm as I am only riding on the road. The bike is generally intended for an older generation as it is very easy on the back. I would have preferred one of the Trek 7000 series of Hybrid bikes but I didn't have that choice. My wife has a 7200 which she absolutely loves. For its intended purpose this is a great bike. The grip shifters have worked flawlessly though they take some getting used to and I am glad that the ends of the grips are not part of that system as at least you have something to hold onto during out of the seat climbing. Other wise I can see changing gears with wrist torque during more aggressive riding which is very problematic. Overall I am very happy with this ride. (Can't wait to get on the new 5000).

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere off the beaten track