Bacchetta Bicycles Corsa Recumbent Bike

Frame: Bacchetta Custom ovalized, cro-moly Size: M/L Wheelbase: 46" Seat: M5 Fiberglass Seat Height: 23" Fork: Kinesis Carbon Road 650c

Submitted by jeffssmith1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    speed
comfortable seat

Weaknesses:    maneuverability

Bottom Line:
2006 Bacchetta Corsa

So far I'm very impressed with the Corsa. I'm 6'1", 177 lbs and I've
ridden it to work a couple of times in Boulder Colorado (hilly area).
I got the medium frame (good for people up to 6'2").

I test rode the Strada and Corsa. The Strada was slightly more
components. A $2200 investment in the 25 pound Corsa seemed like a
better deal than spending $4000 to shave 3 pounds of weight (the Aero
weighs 22 pounds).

The Corsa does quite well on the hills. I use clip-in pedals/shoes (of
course), and the push-pull action really gives me good power uphill. I
had read a racer's post (of uprights and the Aero) who said that the
Aero is faster on grades up to 6% and the upright is faster over 10%
grades. So far, I'd have to echo that assessment (even though I'm no
racer myself).

Yesterday I rode from Boulder to Lyons, a popular ride with nice rolling hills. Most of the climbs were only 4-5% grades, with a couple 6-7% climbs too. Coincidentally, a triathlon was being staged on the route, so there were quite a few bikers. I passed about 30-40 of the triathletes and was never passed myself (to be fair, they had just finished the swimming leg of their event and were far from fresh, of course). But they were riding racing upright bikes and yet I passed them up and down modest hills. The Corsa really flies.

On one section of a little bit steeper climbs (7%), I fell back a little bit from an upright rider I was chasing, but I caught back up with them on a downhill and then passed them on a 3% incline. The aerodynamic advantages of the Corsa really help.

Although I haven't ridden up a very steep hill yet (just 10% grade), it
seems to me that the gearing is about right. I don't think I'll need
any lower gears (at least on reasonable hills < 15% grade). If anything, I could use another high gear because I tend to "spin out" at 35 mph.

On flats, I can cruise in the low 20s (mph). I can go faster, of course, if I push myself.

The Euro mesh seat is awesome.

The Corsa, like most recumbents, I suppose, isn't very nimble with
regards to maneuverability. Last week I chose my mtn bike when I needed to
ride just a couple of miles on bike paths, over curbs, and through
pedestrian traffic to have lunch in Boulder. If this is your primary
riding, you might want the Giro 20 or a plain old mountain bike.
Another reason I rode the mountain bike--I don't worry about people
cutting my bike lock and running off with a beat up old mountain bike! :-)

But if you want to travel longer distances and move at higher speeds,
the Corsa is a good choice.

I hope this review helps someone. Several posts/reviews I read here
and other places on the internet helped me zero in on the Corsa.

Favorite Ride:   30 mi Boulder-Lyons

Purchased At:   bike store in Longmo

Submitted by Pat Dunn a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2005

Strengths:    Great design. Very comfortable but hard core road bike. Well designed and built. Little need for upgrades. Great support.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found.

Bottom Line:
Bike riding has been my main form of exercise for several years. In 2002, I had disc surgery, and my efforts to get back on my diamond frame road bike were painful at best. Reluctently, I checked out recumbents.

I was surprised to find that they have come a long way, and, through the efforts of the folks at Bacchetta, have introduced a line of what we call "high racers" that are just as sleek and just as fast (some say faster) than the best df road bikes out there.

I was a little intimidated by the foot forward position, so I started with a Giro. It has a 26" tire in the rear and a 20" in the front so your feet aren't quite as high. Unfortunately for my budget, I got the bug pretty quickly and within a year, I was looking to increase my speed and road feel. So, I got my dealer to sell my Giro for me and bought a Corsa.

It is a beautiful road machine that is well designed and built. It has dual 650c wheels. It has high end components throughout, and I have changed very little. It's not cheap, but neither is any high quality road bike that I've seen. However, the best part is that the ride, while equal to any road bike I've ridden, is virtually painless. I like to say that I went from balancing my stocky body on 6 square inches (my palms, the balls of my feet and my sit bones) to balancing it on 60 square inches. That's no exaggeration.

I ride our local MS 150 every year, and for the first time, last year I came back with no bruises, no chaffed skin, no sore feet and no numbness. On my df road bike, 40-50 miles was about the limit before the pain somewhere started. On the Corsa, I'm not sure I have a limit.

Finally, the best part is the support I've received from the folks at Bacchetta. They've established a forum for owners to discuss new ideas, as well as being quick to respond to any questions I've had since I bought the bike.

I can't say enough good things about this bike and this company. It's far any away the best bike I've ever owned and most supportive company I've ever dealt with. You're cheating yourself if you don't check one of their bikes out.

Purchased At:   Tailwind Cycles, Top

Similar Products Used:   Bacchetta Giro.

Bike Setup:   Ovalized monotube chromalloy frame
Kinesis carbon fiber 650c road fork
Classic Isis bottom bracket
FSA Carbon Pro Crankset
Shimano Ultegra deraillers
DuraAce bar-end shifters (It came with SRAM Rocket twist shifters)
ALEX 300Tri 650c 24 spoke Wheels
Kenda Concept 650c 110psi tires

Submitted by Brent a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2004

Strengths:    Awesome design and looks. Great performance and comfort.

Weaknesses:    As we know, recumbents aren't cheap. The Corsa is no exception.

Bottom Line:
I'm 38 YO and have been riding recumbents for roughly five years. I finally broke down and bought a Corsa earlier this year. I've never looked back. There is absolutely nothing that I dislike about this bike! As much as I love recumbents in general, we all know that many models leave a little bit to be desired when it comes to the "coolness" factor. Not so, the Corsa. It looks fast and it is fast. On RAGBRAI this year, I had dozens of performance-oriented riders asking about it. I've never seen another recumbent style immediately garner the attention and acceptance of the roadie crowd as does the "high racer" platform. The aerodynamic advantages were blatantly obvious on the headwind legs and downhills of RAGBRAI. Uphill performance is great as well, as I had no problems hanging with (or passing)the "fast" riders on any hill on this year's route. Shorter riders should not be intimidated by this bike. I'm 5'8" and can easily flat-foot both feet. My 5'4" wife can comfortably ride it as well. Even after consecutive 70-100+ mile days, I found the M5 seat extremely comfortable.

Favorite Ride:   RAGBRAI