Bacchetta Bicycles Strada Recumbent Bike

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Frame: Bacchetta Custom ovalized, cro-moly Size: M/L Wheelbase: 46" Fork: Kinesis "Classic", 650c, aluminum Weight: 29 lbs.

Submitted by way too many bikes a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2009

Strengths:    fast, well-equipped, multipurpose vehicle

Weaknesses:    weak brakes, could be lighter

Bottom Line:
I am 49 years old and have loved bicycles since age 14. I do not know how many diamond framed bicycles I have but it is probably more than 50. Eight years ago I badly injured my lower back which has limited my riding ability on diamond framed bicycles to 25 miles or less or I begin having big problems.

The Strada is probably my fifth recumbent bicycle. I started with a bike E (out of business), linear recumbent (out of business), vision R40 (out of business), Ryan duplex (out of business) (do we see a trend here?) And now the Strada. I have had many types of diamond framed bicycles including full carbon racing bicycles, touring bicycles, mountain bicycles, single speeds, tandems, etc.

In my younger days I enjoyed racing. Now I ride recreationally (usually group rides with other people on high-level racing style bikes), go on overnight tours and commute.

The Strada is truly an excellent bicycle and fills so many roles. In no particular order:

I feel like an impostor on the group rides. The Strada drops like a stone going down hills because of the reduced wind resistance. If we are coasting the Strada pulls away downhill over the other bikes. On the flats, again because of the reduced wind resistance, I can more easily maintain a higher speed with less effort. It does follow in a pace line although it does not give as much advantage to somebody who is drafting me. Handling at these speeds is also fine. In terms of these speeds-I am not in very good shape but we probably average 16 mph on the group rides.

Long-distance riding on pavement is excellent. There are no pain issues. Quite the contrary, I find that riding a bicycle reduces back problems for me (more blood flow to the back maybe?). Perhaps the only discomfort issue is that I have this seat dropped as close to level as possible and that causes me to hold my neck in a more forward than natural position. I fix this by leaning back and looking down my nose as I ride.

I have tried the Strada on the Chesapeake and Ohio towpath for about 20 miles. It comes with narrow tires and the bicycle did OK as set up. It could handle the bumpy, dirt and gravel path fairly well but I believe it would do better with wider tires. The rear triangle would easily accept probably a regular mountain bike wheel (26" x 1.95") because it has ample clearance and V brakes. The aluminum fork has more narrow clearance and a side pull brakes and could probably only accept a 26" x 1.25" front tire. Nonetheless, I think that would help and would improve stability and comfort.

I have not mounted panniers. I have looked at other Stradas and it appears that I could put a rack on the back or put mid ship racks on there. I do not believe there would be stability issues but cannot give an opinion.

I commute on this bicycle on a regular basis and with a mirror, lights front and back, Bell and computer feel very well-equipped. The bicycle is high enough off the ground that I do not believe that invisible rider is a factor. As usual, on a recumbent it is very difficult to turn your head over your shoulder so you really need to rely on your mirror.

The equipment on this bicycle is certainly sturdy if not approaching high-end. I used the euro mesh seat. I added some padding under the seat. The bicycle came with a carbon seat and I had comfort problems with that and traded to the euro mesh. The euro mesh I also initially had some comfort problems but I believe that we have gotten used to each other and it is fine now. One issue is that you get wet back syndrome in the summer because your body sweat goes through your back and into the seat.

Shifting is excellent and I have no complaints. The drive train is very quiet. The brakes are somewhat weak and it even has cool stop pads in the back. I have never felt threatened by their lack of power but there certainly are stronger stopping brakes out there.

I am 6'3" tall and the high seat height of the bicycle is not a problem for me. You should consider the height of the bicycle. I am told that it might be difficult if you are under a certain height. Test ride the bicycle. There can be interference with the front wheel and your feet when paddling at slow speeds and making turns. Likewise, the handlebars will tangle with your legs when making turns at slow speeds. This is not a problem at any speeds above I would guess 5 mph.

Customer service was very good. I purchased this bicycle used and the original carbon seat had significant instability-I felt everything shifting under me and swaying. I called customer service and they sent me some strut braces which held everything in place very nicely.

Favorite Ride:   Bacchetta Strada

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Bike E, linear recumbent, vision V40

Bike Setup:   see my description above

Submitted by thomas canale a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2007

Strengths:    Overall build quality
Smooth ride and handling

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
After test riding a whole bunch of Bacchettas, Giro, Strada. I found and bought a 2003 Strada used from Angletech in Colorado. Only one word describes this bike......WOW! I normally ride DF bikes, Lemond Zurich...but this thing just blows them away!! I could easily maintain a 22-24 mph with not trouble...Bacchetta has my vote for one of the best bikes that I have ridden. No neck pain, no wrist pain! Best part is that you can go very fast and still spend your time looking at the scenery.

Favorite Ride:   any ride !

Purchased At:   angletech

Similar Products Used:   Lemond Zurich, Binachi Giro, Trek 720

Bike Setup:   All Ultegra with Dura Ace bar end shifters, 26x1" tires

Submitted by flying1960 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2005

Strengths:    comfortable, fast and good looking

Weaknesses:    needs higher end components for the price. This may have been addressed in the 2004, or 2005 models.

Bottom Line:
My Strata is actually a year end 2003. The Strata is a great ride. Comfortable on long rides the frame has just enough flex to keep you comfortable over most road surfaces. It is also fast and climbs pretty well for a heavy bike. My only complaint is for this much money you should get higher end components

Favorite Ride:   Bacchetta Strata

Purchased At:   Silver Comet Depot

Bike Setup:   Mavic Ksyrium elite 650's with conti tires (I love these wheels)
Sram 9 speed trigger shifters
Koolstop brake pads (way better than stock however still not adequate for stopping this heavy a bike on steep decents.)
Naviion computer I love this toy too

Submitted by e3photo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2005

Strengths:    Comfort and speed.

Weaknesses:    Uses different muscles. Takes a short time to get used to.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! I used to have a montain bike, but I had not ridden it off road for a while, so I decided to look for a new bike.I wanted something for commuting and to go on longer rides with friends.I tried many different bikes,but when I tried a recumbent, it was love at first ride. I could not believe how comfortable it was. I knew that If I was serious about riding,I had to get something I would be comfortable on for several hours. The bike seemed a little twichy at first, but after the first three rides,it became more natural.I first thought that recumbents were odd, now after riding all day and getting off feeling good,I think DF's are strange. My back is happy,no sore wrists and arms, and my butt is definitely happy. If you like riding for enjoyment and/or to stay healthy, you owe it to your body (especially your butt and hands)to try a recumbent,and Bacchetta's are beautiful bikes made in America.

Favorite Ride:   Bacchetta Strada

Purchased At:   Clean Machine

Submitted by CheriMO a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2004

Strengths:    Light and fast. Flashy too!

Weaknesses:    gearing too high for steep climbing

Bottom Line:
This bike is a great ride! It's light, stable, fast and a pretty good climber for a recumbent. The seat is comfortable and easy to adjust. The tweenie handlebars are intimidating at first (thought I'd bop my knees) but I quickly got used to them. I've found that rolling hills are not a problem but steep hills require either lower gears than this bike has or stronger thighs than I have. I'm going to try an 11-32 cassette and see if that improves the situation.

Purchased At:   Springdale Bicycles,

Motobecane Super Strada Shimano Ultegra - Thoughts?

[url=http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/super_strada_xiv.htm]Save up to 60% of new Shimano Ultegra 6800 22 Speed Road Bikes | 2012 Motobecane Super Strada Road Bikes Sale | Save up to 60% off your next new Road Bike[/url] In April of this year I finally hit rock bottom with my health an ... Read More »

Somec Super Air 2001 Crono Strada

Hey guys, my name is Michael and I am new to this forum as I am from Germany and since now didn't really had to look for parts overseas. Now I have to. As I am building this exquisit Somec Super Air Crono Strada I am looking for 1st Gen Campagnolo C Record parts with pantos. I do have a stem and se ... Read More »

Battery life for Cateye Double Strada wireless computer

Hi, What is average battery life people are seeing with computer, speed sensor and HR sensor? ThanksRead More »

New Motobecane Super Strada

Hey, What do you think about Motobecane Super Strada Shimano Ultegra 22 Speed Road Bike deal from BikesDirect? [URL="http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/super_strada_xiv.htm"]Save up to 60% of new Shimano Ultegra 6800 22 Speed Road Bikes | 2012 Motobecane Super Strada Road Bikes Sale | S ... Read More »

Newbie's First Bike(s) - CAAD10 v. SuperSix v. Colgano Strada

Hey, all Looking to get into the sport and thereby need to pickup a couple of bikes for my fiancee and I. After some research, found a LBS that is clearing out 2014 CAAD10 105s for about $1200.00. This appears to set us up with two good/great quality bikes for less than $2500.00 total. While I ... Read More »