Aerocat R509 Road Bike

High Performance Carbon Monocoque road bike. Available with Shimano 105, Ultegra SL, Dura Ace or SRAM Rival, Force, and Red or Campy.

Submitted by GDub a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2013

Strengths:    Stiffness
Ride Quality
Handling
Internal Cable routing
BB30
Looks

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Stiffness and Ride Quality! This is a great race or overall bicycle. The handling of this bike is great also. I have been on many California mountain decent and smoked people with the confidence inspired handling. The Texas Roadhouse Cycling Team kicked but by winning over 330 races in 3 years on this frame. Not to mention the old "AeroCat" team winning big races. But, when you get it out for a 5 hour ride the way it handles the road imperfections is amazing! Just because you have not heard of AeroCat does not mean this bike can't compete or be better than any big brand out there. You will not be disappointed with this ride!!

Submitted by Adopted Hoosier

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight, stiff, smooth, build quality, warranty, comfortable, good value.

Weaknesses:    I have none to speak of.

Bottom Line:
This is my 3rd road bike, first carbon frame. I made a HUGE step up to this bike. I was on an aluminum frame with Tiagra (Shimano). I have re-engaged in riding due to a foot injury and caught the bug to do sprint tris now that I am feeling better. This bike is every bit as good as you will find in the $3k to $6k price range for sure. I looked and looked at various manufacturers and while those manufacturers may have better capabilities in terms of bike painting abilities they don't have the upper hand when it comes to bike performance.

Dave, Tim, Dan and the rest of the staff were great to work with and are the epitome of making what you love your living. These people just love biking, racing, tinkering with and talking bikes.

As someone who works for a manufacturing company I can tell you that they are putting the right things together to churn out quality bicycles.

In terms of performance: (R509 with Ultegra Di2) This bike transfers power to the back wheel and in a hurry. I hit 25mph today on a flat straight away, something I have never done before. In addition, I took a nice curve at 22mph and couldn't believe how smoothly the bike handled the corner.

As a disclaimer, I am a performance for the value type of person: AeroCat is incredible performance for the money. Get in on the ground floor before they hit the big time!

Submitted by Will Nielsen

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2012

Strengths:    I have to say this was the best bike purchase I ever made from start to finish. Working with Tim from Aerocat made the experience all that much more enjoyable. He was hands on, in depth as far as my sizing and any upgrades that I needed. I went with the 509 with SRAM Red, which was all SRAM including the chain. A lot of companies pitch that you are getting RED but short change you on the chain and various other parts. Not with this bike! I upgraded the seat to the Selle Carbonio flow, which is a superlight seat (115g) and for me prevents any numbness on long rides. I have been riding Aluminum for 18 years and always have wanted a Carbon bike, but could not afford one that I felt would be decent as far as a groupset and wheels ect..So get this, Full Carbon (other than the handlebars) that I will soon upgrade, Easton Aero wheels, and SRAM red with a Selle Carbonio seat, Built and shipped for under 4K! Certainly with my team connection I saved money, and once this company goes global, which I am sure they will that price will go up rightfully so, as I have compared this to other bikes and the price point I could see this bike easily being around 6K. I have only put in a few 30 mile rides and feel like I could do another 30 no problem each time I have rode it, and unlike Aluminum this bike is so much more forgiving on the body. At 38 years old I really started wondering if I would be able to consistently log 50 miles a day again. Now I know that I will have no problems getting back to optimal shape. Seriously could not be more stoked about this purchase!!!

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is the Aluminum handlebars, but with a $130 upgrade I will change out to Carbon handlebars soon enough.

Bottom Line:
If you want a Smooth, good, clean bike with a price point that is not going to drain the bank and have a quality carbon bike right up there with the Trek Madone's and high end Cervello's this is a no brainer purchase for any cyclist. You don't need to be a racer to be able to appreciate this bike. The constant looks, and even when I took my bike into to local shop to have them true the back wheel after i received it, the local mechanic did not wanna let me leave, in fact he was doing unneeded adjustments as he and the other shop mechanic drooled the whole time. The pictures do this bike little justice, in real life it has saaaweeet written all over it! Love it, love it, love it!!!

Submitted by D-Town Denver Biker Dude

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2012

Strengths:    Pure Awesome! Along with all the other countless strengths everyone else has mentioned.

Weaknesses:    Minor Detail, I though it would have turned me into a superhero when I get on it but alas no luck but pretty darn close!

Bottom Line:
I am a proud new owner of the R509. Tim over at Aerocat is awesome to work with. It is rare nowadays to find people personable and great customer service.
Specs: R509 Frame, Force Grouppo, Rotor BCD110 Crankset with Sram Red Rings 52/38, Mercury S5 Tubulars. Total weight came in at 15.13lbs
For the Value of the bike I dare you to find a bike that is as stiff, responsive and lightweight.

Testride: After getting everything dialed in I took it out on the northern bike routes of Denver. Speachless. After all the years of riding Aluminum/Carbon frames there is no comparison. Pure Direct transfer of your efforts into the pavement. I wish I had made the jump sooner.
Out of the saddle with the more aggressive geometry it was an adjustment in centering in order to control the front end better on the sprints. The Mercury S5's are a match made in heaven along with Psimet Carbons.
I am glad I had went with Tubulars as the frame is very stiff so the tubulars smooth out the edges in cornering sketchy Crits.
As the other guy mentioned the internal cable routing is stellar for a build. Very clean cable management. You have to look close to realize its not a Di2 Bike hah!

Submitted by matthew a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2011

Strengths:    definitely the stiffness!!!

Weaknesses:    none that i have been able to find!

Bottom Line:
I have a 2011 Aerocat R 509 and absolutely LOVE the bike. I have full durace 7800 groupo, with zipp 606 wheel set. This bike is for racing,no doubt about it. I'm a cat 2 junior road racer, and 183 ibs.sprinting is my thing. So i'v all ways needed something as stiff as i could possibly get. My first bike was a cannondale System Six. First of all its an awesome bike! its crazy stiff and very stable. I loved it. The problem with it is, its extreamly unforgiving, and is a brutal ride. But you gotta expect that with a really stiff bike. Next bike was a Six 13. Again loved the bike. very stiff, EXCEPT the head tube. I can put out 1800+ watt sprints, and when I would really get on it, the head tube did have some flex. not bad, but enough that I wanted stiffer. So I heard about the R 509 and how stiff it was, and went and checked them out. Dave poole and the guys at Aerocat are awesome. SUPER helpful, and will do any thing to make sure your 100% happy. The R509 has the best of both my cannondales and more. It is JUST as stiff as the systemsix but a good bit smoother,and not so harsh. And compare to the six 13 its definitely a lot stiffer on the front end, and more stable. I do not have 1 single bad thing to say about this bike at all! if your a big power guy who races, get this bike and you will not have any regrets!

Purchased At:   aerocat