Argon 18 Gallium Road Bike

4.57/5 (14 Reviews)

Frame: Monocoque 6050 carbon frame fabricated in a single piece in a mold that shapes the frame for maximum rigidity, with massive, asymmetrical chainstays and an oversized BB shell and head tube. Alloy rear dropouts with interchangeable rear derailleur hanger. Braze-on front derailleur mount. BB86 bottom bracket. 1100g.

Submitted by Robert Bishop

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2017

Strengths:    I have loved riding my Argon18 Gallium as an avid amateur cyclist (3-4k miles per year).

Weaknesses:    Unfortunately, I can no longer recommend Argon18 as a company.

Bottom Line:
Recently, an Argon18 dealer became concerned about my Gallium frame seeing striations in the paint above the front fork. These striations appeared in the first year of use but honestly I didn't think anything of them. The dealer contacted Argon18 on my behalf and they asked for pictures, purchase receipt, etc. After all was said and done, they hid behind a technicality. Since I had no proof that the striations occurred in the first year and I had purchased the frame a little under 4 years earlier, their original 3-year warranty (now 5 years if you register) had expired. So, WARRANTY DENIED! Apparently Argon18 is willing to stand behind their product for 5 years but not the one that I purchased. What I find particularly distasteful is their claim that the striations are only in the paint and not the carbon fiber frame. Then, in the same breath they recommend that I not ride the bike just in case. Yeah, like that's going to happen! Adding insult to injury, they provide contact info for a group in the US that can repair the carbon fiber, if desired. So there you have it... #argon18bikes #gallium #galliumpro #warrantyweasels #roadbikereview

Submitted by Antonio a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2016

Strengths:    Not common, corners well, stiff but comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Not as aggressive or light as other models.

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2016 Gallium several months back and it is the bike I ride most often. I've put it through a lot of climbing. While waiting for the bike to arrive I rode the shop owner's Gallium Pro. In comparison the Gallium is not as twitchy or fast out of the gate. This is to be expected since this isn't the race model. The bike is comfortable while riding long distances and as long as there is gas in the tank it accelerates well. One thing that I have noticed fit wise is that my knees tend come up near the stem while climbing out of the saddle. I'm 5' 9" and am on a small. I have yet to hit the stem with my knee but thought I would mention it. Also I haven't been fit to the bike but I think when I do they'll get me on a longer stem.

If you are looking for a good comfortable bike I'd recommend this bike. If you are looking for a race bike I'd look at the Gallium pro. I like this bike but it doesn't have that extra umfff that other race bikes have.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Supersix

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra, Dura ace Wheels

Submitted by hello

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2015

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
nono

hello world

Submitted by Britt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    I am currently riding the new 2013 Gallium and love the way it feels on the road. It has a smooth feel even on rough roads. It corners well with its low center of gravity. Overall, fast bike and one I look forward to riding for a long time.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I can think of is the slightly higher price point over other comparable bikes however Argon 18 continues to be a high end, boutique bike brand.

Bottom Line:
I love how the bike handles. The ride quality is smooth and supple. You can take high speed cornering with confidence. The Gallium comes from the same mold as the Gallium Pro however has a slight downgrade in carbon quality. Built with SRAM Red and Hed Jet/6/9 wheels it weights 16 lbs. even. I purchased mine from www.TriVeloSports.com and received free shipping and reward points. I highly recommend their shop. Talk to Britt.

Purchased At:   www.TriVeloSports.co

Bike Setup:   2013 Argon 18 Gallium frame, SRAM Red-Black drivetrain, 3T components and HED Jet 6/9 wheels.

Submitted by Guy N a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    Very stable, excellent cornering, good power transfer but comfortable on long rides, 3D head set system. Fast down hill...yes I said down hill.

Weaknesses:    Stupid wheel catches on front forks (filed them off)

Bottom Line:
I mainly shopped for a new frame and fork to find something stiffer then my current ride and I found it. This is a very stable smooth ride. Corners very well at high speed. Rides a strait line at high speeds when descending. Great power transfer both in and out of the seat. I used to think my Mavic Ksyruim wheels were mushy because when I stood on climbs my breaks would rub on the rims. It was not the wheels and I no longer experience this issue.

This is a great bike and for me a great price. I found a 2011 model new in box at a clearance price. Under budget and over expectations.

Purchased At:   VeloMine.com