Argon 18 Gallium Road Bike

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

Frame: Monocoque 6050 carbon frame fabricated in a single piece in a mold that shapes the frame for maximum rigidity, with massive, asymmetrical chainstays and an oversized BB shell and head tube. Alloy rear dropouts with interchangeable rear derailleur hanger. Braze-on front derailleur mount. BB86 bottom bracket. 1100g.

Submitted by Britt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    I am currently riding the new 2013 Gallium and love the way it feels on the road. It has a smooth feel even on rough roads. It corners well with its low center of gravity. Overall, fast bike and one I look forward to riding for a long time.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I can think of is the slightly higher price point over other comparable bikes however Argon 18 continues to be a high end, boutique bike brand.

Bottom Line:
I love how the bike handles. The ride quality is smooth and supple. You can take high speed cornering with confidence. The Gallium comes from the same mold as the Gallium Pro however has a slight downgrade in carbon quality. Built with SRAM Red and Hed Jet/6/9 wheels it weights 16 lbs. even. I purchased mine from www.TriVeloSports.com and received free shipping and reward points. I highly recommend their shop. Talk to Britt.

Purchased At:   www.TriVeloSports.co

Bike Setup:   2013 Argon 18 Gallium frame, SRAM Red-Black drivetrain, 3T components and HED Jet 6/9 wheels.

Submitted by Guy N a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2012

Strengths:    Very stable, excellent cornering, good power transfer but comfortable on long rides, 3D head set system. Fast down hill...yes I said down hill.

Weaknesses:    Stupid wheel catches on front forks (filed them off)

Bottom Line:
I mainly shopped for a new frame and fork to find something stiffer then my current ride and I found it. This is a very stable smooth ride. Corners very well at high speed. Rides a strait line at high speeds when descending. Great power transfer both in and out of the seat. I used to think my Mavic Ksyruim wheels were mushy because when I stood on climbs my breaks would rub on the rims. It was not the wheels and I no longer experience this issue.

This is a great bike and for me a great price. I found a 2011 model new in box at a clearance price. Under budget and over expectations.

Purchased At:   VeloMine.com

Similar Products Used:   Serotta (steel), Look Carbon

Submitted by max kaldenberg a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2011

Strengths:    feels strong- power go to the wheel--very confortable 3-4 hr rides I always feel in control--looks great

Weaknesses:    none to date

Bottom Line:
Iam a very luckey I have both a 2010 and 2011 gallium pro--yes I have 2 great bikes the 2011 ive had for only a few weeks but have put about 600 miles on it and ride the 2010 about the same amount. the 11 feels a little stiffer and corners a tad better. They are both great bikes.

Favorite Ride:   pacific coast hwy, so calif.

Purchased At:   cycle pro--lake fore

Bike Setup:   campy super record--dt wheels

Submitted by StevefromToronto a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable fast

Weaknesses:    Nothing yet

Bottom Line:
Initial impression is very positive. My second full carbon bike. Being a full out performance bike I expected a a much harsher ride than my last "comfort" set up. Bike is very comfortable vibration is nil sucks up the cracks and bumps of the road. Comfortable, climbs like a goat and converts all your energy to the wheels efficiently. First impresion is great.

Purchased At:   Wheels of Bloor

Bike Setup:   Ultegra 6700, Mavic Kryserium SL,

Submitted by BlurRoubaix a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2010

Strengths:    Nice looks, solid cornering, not too twitchy - but not too slow. stiff enough for me.

Weaknesses:    I've had the headtube extenions loosen a couple times. The metal headtube extenions have chipped the finish on the headtube.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike. Great combination of speed, stability and comfort. I ride this bike on short and long (100+ miles) rides. It is comfortable.
No downsides - if you are looking for a race-worthy bike that won't beat you up and has a Euro-tour ride feel - this is it.

Favorite Ride:   WI Hills