Argon 18 Krypton Road Bike

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

A 100% carbon frameset, the Krypton is a remarkably versatile and effective machine at home in most every setting.

Submitted by Chooka a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    Strong Frame - wide TT, thick chainstays and BB
Black & White colors with nice finish
Stable on descends
Climbs ok but nothing spectacular
Versatile - integrated head set where u can raise/lower riding position.
Comfortable

Weaknesses:    Frame isn't super light
Limited color choice
Average handlebars

Bottom Line:
I think Argon or their suppliers in OZ are no more and I was able to purchase the bike for 1/2 price 2nd hand almost new.

This bike makes me feel safe and I like it. My concern was/is due to me being 95kg I may break a 2nd hand carbon frame that wouldn't be warranteed, no such concerns with this frame. I tried a number of brands before purchasing and there are many good bikes out there but there is nothing wrong with this frame. I read that Argon reduced the frame weight and increased stiffness on their later model bikes.

I would classify this bike as a good all-rounder or training bike but when i lose some poundage over the next 18 months I'll probably get something like a Cervelo R3

Favorite Ride:   Cervelo

Purchased At:   Private

Bike Setup:   Ultegra Groupset and Mavic Aksium wheels with a sram 12-28 cassette for the hills.
Below is what I swapped out on the bike:
Shimano Pedals Clipless - Road Ultegra SPD-SL 6700 Road Pedals Pair - Silver
2 x Continental Tyres - Road Gator Hardshell Folding Tyre Black/Hardshell
3T Handlebars Road Ergonova Team Drop Bar - London Edition 46cm Carbon (heavily discounted)
3T ARX LTD Carbon Fiber Stem (less than 1/2 price guess where)
Easton Handlebar Tape Road Bar Tape White
Elite WaterBtl Cages-FibrComp Custom Race Resin Bottle Cage White Glossy - Logo Black
Spoon saddle
+ I bought some new aero wheels that I haven't used yet but I actually don't mind the original aksiums at the moment.

Submitted by miketraz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2011

Strengths:    -Value
-All carbon frame
-Smooth shifting SRAM Force gear mech
-SRAM Rival shifters are great and save some coin
-Very cool looking frame

Weaknesses:    -Aksium wheels might need upgrading to a lighter, racier set

Bottom Line:
**Please note this is for the 2009 model...I didn't have the option of choosing it in the menu here.

This is my first road bike and I am planning on using it for my first triathlon. Since it is a 2009 model, I got a great deal. Despite the fact its a 2009 and not a 2011, it is an amazing bike. I never imagined this all-carbon bike would be so light and fast!

I hear the frame isn't the lightest on the market, but I think thats just weight weenie talk because its pretty darn light to me. The geometry seems versatile allowing for really aggressive sprint positioning in addition to a comfortable upright as well. The bare carbon and red is pretty sweet looking btw.

On another note, I love the doubletap shifting by SRAM...its pretty easy to pick up and is very intuitive. Shifting is very smooth on this bike...chain doesn't slip off the rings. The zeroloss shifting for the front also makes shifting the front derailleur easy. The Mavic Aksium wheels are solid, but probably weigh the bike down a good deal.

Overall I love the bike so far and the bonus is the great value you get. Where are you going to get an all-carbon SRAM Force/Rival mix bike for less than two grand? Nowhere I've seen except with the Argon 18 Krypton. I fully trust this bike for my triathlon and my training.

Favorite Ride:   N/A

Mavic Aksium wheelset
Michelin Pro3 Race tires

Submitted by TriGuy404 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2008

Strengths:    Fit
Comfort
Price
Looks

Weaknesses:    Weight (component-limited)
Stock handlebars

Bottom Line:
Got a pretty good deal on this bike. It's great for the price, especially considering that it used to be their top of the line bike just a few years ago. It's a vast improvement from the aluminum Scott Waimea I'd been riding on in terms of comfort, while still being as, if not more, stiff in the bottom bracket. It isn't the lightest bike, but it's mostly because of the components, not the frameset. As my first all-carbon bike it's been great so far and has left me wanting for little else(except maybe some lighter wheels, internal cable routing, and a full ultegra or DA setup)! It even has aerodynamic aspirations with tapered down and seat tubes (the seat tube even has a slight rear wheel cutout), although it is nowhere near as slippery as say, a Soloist.

Oh, and the white pain combined with the naked carbon along the top tube combine for a great, distinctive look.

Favorite Ride:   Highway 2