Argon 18 Radon Road Bike

4.67/5 (3 Reviews)

The Radon is a proven, efficient bike in any situation. Combining aluminum and carbon, this frameset is race-ready.

Submitted by Andy Gunn a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2009

Strengths:    Very fast and excellent feel on hills. Very good response to acceleration. Quite a nimble bike.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This is my second racing bike, and tested several newer bikes before settling on this. It is an interesting mix of being very stiff on curves and fast downhill runs while being a smooth ride. It handles rough roads (common around here) with ease.

Favorite Ride:   The Argon

Purchased At:   Calgary

Similar Products Used:   Tested Cannondale CAA8 and Guru Strada with near identical components.

Bike Setup:   Stock bike with Shimano 105 and ultegra components, Mavic wheel set. Retrofitted with a carbon handlebar and seat post.

Submitted by chriscpad a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2009

Strengths:    Good stiff frame, nice strong wheels. Responds beautifully, brakes well, runs very straight and true, corners smoothly and evenly. Plenty of acceleration available. Very comfortable, quiet, corners easily and reliably (compared to the Giant), not twitchy at all - very smooth. Excellent paint job on the frame, very well finished.

Weaknesses:    Lots of torque reqd on the seat post clamp - single bolt. I have moved from Ultegra (2005) to 105 (2009), so far that is not an issue at all and apparently will not be.

Bottom Line:
What a fantastic bike, strong and stiff, I love the geometry of the frame and front forks - they work very well together especially when the power is on. Have only done 1 steep climb, (another coming tomorrow) and it just ate it up - faster, quicker, smoother and I know I put less effort into it than on the Giant, Tracks very true, smooth, flattens the bumps, good frame weight. Spins very easily with the ceramic bearings, I am very pleased I got these fitted. Size large - I am 186 cm & 82 kg, the frame was easy to set up, very carefully measured and adjusted by Cyclespeed. I have read some disparaging reviews on the Ultremo tyres, so far I disagree with those reviews, I have found them marvellous, plenty of grip on downhill corners and the grip they offer certainly saved me from a fall on my last ride.

Favorite Ride:   Beach Rd Melbourne

Purchased At:   Cyclespeed - Gardenv

Similar Products Used:   Moved up from Giant OCR zero and glad I did.

Bike Setup:   Radon 2009 frame, 105 gears, brakes,
Upgrades - DT Swiss 1900 wheels, Ultremo tyres, added on ceramic bearings in bb. Ultegra pedals from other bike - thinking of putting on Speedplay Zero st.st

Submitted by Jo Lunn a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2007

Strengths:    Aluminium triangle, carbon forks and stays

Bottom Line:
Well designed, very good value, sharp looking bike

Favorite Ride:   Banff Park 1A