Home | Reviews | Road Bike | BH

BH Connect Road Bike Road Bike

4.75/5 (8 Reviews)

The BH Connect will surprise you with its powerful and exhilarating performance. It is only 890 grams but has short chainstays for exceptional climbing prowess and stable geometry for ripping downhill.

Submitted by Nicholas Maravell a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2012

Strengths:    Overall responsiveness, low weight, geometry, finish quality

Weaknesses:    31.6 seatpost size (remedied w/U.S.E. shim & 27.2 post), my knees occasionally hit the wide top-tube

Bottom Line:
Awesome frame: handles great through tight corners and fast descents, nice power transfer during out-of-saddle efforts, tallish headtube is refreshing to see on a pro-machine, vibration dampening is highly appreciable.

Favorite Ride:   Mt. Washington

Purchased At:   Private sale

Similar Products Used:   LeMond OCLV/Steel Spline Maillot Jaune, C-Dale CAAD10

Bike Setup:   SRAM Rival&Force, Easton SLX fork, FSA Carbon wing bars, DT240/Mavic Open Pro, Conti 4season tires, Gore cables, EC70 post, Aspide Gel saddle. 16.2 lbs w/ pedals & cage in size XL

Submitted by Eric Brandt a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff and efficient even in largest size 59.5cm when sprinting or hard cornering. I have broke every personal record I achieved in 20+ years of riding when I started with my 6700 equipped BH CONNECT. I have ridden several century rides with this bike and felt comfortable enough to go another hour if need be. I like having a bike from a manufacturer with a long history who strive to still make cutting edge bikes. It is nice to have a unique ride too as the world seems to be filled with the big S, Treks, Scotts and Felts of the world.

Weaknesses:    I don't care for the appearance of the 2008 fork. I noticed they changed it on the 2009 and 2010 to match the G4. Graphics seem a bit dated now, but when you are passing guys with ease who cares.

Bottom Line:
I can't say enough about my 2008 BH Connect. It is comfortable, predictable, efficient, handles like a performance car and light enough to be built into a UCI illegal configuration. What I like is that I don't feel like I have given anything up. Some super light carbon bikes flex and wiggle out of control when the hammer is down and you are sprinting or climbing out of the saddle. For me that is the last time you want to feel like your bike succumbing to your riding inputs.

Just last week, I was hammering through a intersection on a well timed light. I really was feeling the love and kept dropping gears as I accelerated out of the saddle. It wasn't until I got home and downloaded STRAVA to see it was a 45 mph crossing of that intersection. I had some tailwind but it wasn't gusting, I hope it is accurate because I will be trying that sprint again real soon.

Favorite Ride:   Ronde de Santandria

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Club Fuji, Fetish Penna, Serotta Nova, Parkpre Ultralight Prestige Fixed Gear, Specialized Allez Sport in Aluminum, Trek 2000, Specialized Allez in Steel, Nishiki Prestige

Bike Setup:   Shimano 6700 with Dura Ace 7900 crank
FSA SLK Compact carbon bar
Michelin Pro Race 3 tires on Torelli Bormio wheels

Submitted by alba831 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2010

Strengths:    Power transfer, stiff but comfy, smooth descender.

Weaknesses:    Not the most beautiful paint job in the world, but I don't really care about that kind of stuff. I didn't even know what color my frame was going to be when it was ordered.

Bottom Line:
Last year after a race the Thule roof rack my bike was on had a product failure (completely Thule's fault, they were total jerks about replacing my bike) and my bike went flying onto the pavement at 60mph. My bike shop was able to find a deal on a BH Connect frame, so I built up a new bike around this. I could not be happier with it.

I've ridden a variety of bikes and even was able to get my hands on a Healthnet team frame. None of them compared to the BH. The BH Connect has really stout, squarish tubing. There's very little flex in the BB when I put power down. It's also very stiff laterally in the headtube area, so when you're cranking the bars side to side you don't lose your power. Power transfer is great, and so this baby is a solid climber.

Descending is also blast on this. Descending used to be one of my biggest weaknesses, but the BH Connect frame started building my confidence. It's not twitchy at all, it absorbs a lot of vibration, and it carves big swooping lines. I've never had any problems with it on tight, fast descents either.

The bottom line is that this bike goes up faster, down faster, and is more comfortable than any of the other bikes I've ridden. I would absolutely recommend this to a friend and buy it again.

Favorite Ride:   Tunitas Creek

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse Cycles

Similar Products Used:   2001 Marin Argenta (made in Italy, actually), Raleigh 500, 2006 Team HealthNet Giant TCR.

Bike Setup:   Shimano Ultegra/Dura Ace gruppo, Specialized Phenom saddle, Garmin 500, Alx440 SL wheels, Conti 4000s tires

Submitted by Tom a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2010

Strengths:    Very good power delivery.
Stable geometry,
Pretty light

Weaknesses:    None Really, Ride quality is good, but chip seal and larger pavement irregularities are felt. This may also be in part do to the 31.6 diameter seatpost.

Bottom Line:
I've enjoyed the BH a lot. The geometry is really to my liking, the head tube is about half a degree shallower than most brands and the bottom bracket is a little lower, the result is a bike that is very stable and handles well in cross winds. The frame was a little heavier than expected (mine is a 59cm which I believe is there largest size) at 1100 grams. Power delivery is excellent, on par or better than anything else I've ridden. I consider the ride quality good, not great. This may be effected that I'm 175 lbs, not super light but lighter than other reviews and my other bike is a Time VXRS, which just has an amazing ride.

Favorite Ride:   205 in NC

Purchased At:   Ebay - Frame & Fork

Similar Products Used:   Time VXRS, Trek Madone, Giant TCR Composite, Colnago Oval master, Steelman Stage Race, Casati Challenge

Bike Setup:   Mostly Sram Rival.

Submitted by docky a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2010

Strengths:    smooth over bumps, stiff, great climber and sprinter, descends awesome.

Weaknesses:    None / 0

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best carbon bike I have raced on. Stiff.. fast.. great sprinter.. and hill climber. Out of the saddle this bike wants to go go go and hits turns so smooth. I now am a fan of BH after riding this bike this will be a great year for racing :)

Favorite Ride:   pv loop