Home | Reviews | Road Bike | BH

BH G4 Road Bike Road Bike

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

The BH G4 uses and adjustable (no cutting!) seatmast and nano-technology resins to create a frame that is feather light but still has the characteristics demanded by the most discriminating cyclists.

Submitted by MVanBiber a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2009

Strengths:    Light, Fast, Great handling.

Weaknesses:    None really... just when holding a track stand, my forward foot often hits the front tire... I need to watch this carefully.

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for a 2009 G4. I upgraded the wheelset and have the Ultegra SL set-up. This bike is awesome. Makes me a much better rider than I am. Very fast, and great climber. Very light, handles great.

Favorite Ride:   With friends who don't stop!

Purchased At:   Victory Velo

Similar Products Used:   Felt, Orbea, Trek.

Bike Setup:   2009 BH G4 with the Ultegra SL package. I upgraded the wheelset to Ksyrium SL's.

Submitted by Jed Darby a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2009

Strengths:    Everything about the bike is super, I'm not a big sprinter but won the Sundau team sprint and yes it was uphill, I was looking back to see what happend to everyone else. Someone mentioned where did Jed come from and the dude who finished second said he's just fast on that BH!

Weaknesses:    None, this is a super bike.

Bottom Line:
MY bike is a 2009 G-4, I also have a 5.2 Trek Madone and a Look 586. I just started racing after a 18 year layoff, I'm now 50 and race with the 123 dudes. I was racing my Look 586 in crits. and had a hard time taking turns at high speeds. I must admit the look is super light and quick. We'll I did some research on the BH and really liked it so I purchased a frame and built it with super nice componets. Sram Red except for Feather brakes, Zipp cranks, Look Ti pedals,FSA carbon CSI stem, Bontager carbon bars. I ride a 57.5 and it weighs with pedals and cages 12.45 pounds!! The first thing I notices was how the bike felt connected to the road and how quick it was, but most of all was how it could handle high speed turns. I'm not afraid to do crits. and more! The more I ride it the better it gets. We'll my wife had a Madone and she too was afraid of the turns so I surprised her for her BD witha BH G-4 buitl up just like mine, the first thing she noticed was who fast she could take the turns. She is a Triathalete and really never conciderd just bike racing but after the BH ride she will be doing her first stage race May 23-24th. She is 50 also but not a slacker in her first year of racing she was named in our Reigion Female Tri. of the year and usually has the fasted bike split for the women! I'll be doing my first race on my BH also and looking foward to mixing it up with the big boys. By the way one of my team mates rode my Madone and Look then my BH, well he now has a BH!! He was amazed at the accelleration! He is LAMBRA's cat 3 champion and is now a cat 2. He will be racing his for the first time this weekend in Shreveport at the Rocky Mountain Stage race.

Purchased At:   Precision Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Look 586 Trek, Trek Madone 5.2

Bike Setup:   Sram Red, Zipp cranks with ceramic bearings, Bontrager carbon VR bars, FSA CSI carbon Stem, Look Keo Ti pedals, Nokon cables, Sella carbonia saddle with carbon rails, Zipp 202's with Cont. Comps 19 mm.

Submitted by tomwaggener a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, very precise handling, and a demon on the climbs. The bike screams for more when you are giving it everything you have. Aesthetically it is drop dead sexy.
Price wise, this bike is very competitive given the plethora of 5k dollar framesets that don't hold a candle to it. The G4 Frameset retails for 3k.

Weaknesses:    Proprietary seat post is real pain. Otherwise, none.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 09 frameset. built up with a mix of SRAM Red and Dura Ace (so far, no one has outdone DA 7800 for front mechs and cranks IMHO) and Fulcrum 3 wheels this bike weighed in under 15.5 pounds in a 57 with keo pedals, bottle cages and a computer. A lighter wheelset would easily get this bike under the UCI limit, but with the Fulcrum 3's it is quick, responsive and agile as a cat.
Initial acceleration rewards the rider instantaneously and uphill efforts seem to encourage more speed out of the G4. This bike can dart in and out with laser like precision and yet it remains smooth and steady at cruising speed..
I absolutely love the laid back geometry of the G4 which the lower end Speedrom shares. The G4 differs in that it is lighter and has short chain stays which give it a lot of pep.
As far as lightweights go, this bike is really comfortable. It is plenty stiff for my 170 pound frame and still smooths out the bumpy stiff.
As far as weaknesses go, the only glaring issue is the seatpost adjustment bolt. A 13 mm UNDERNEATH THE SEAT! Man, what a bonehead design. I hear they are working on a new seatpost and I will have one as soon as they are released. Once ajusted and torqued to spec, you can forget about this glaring fault. If you are buying this frame, go ahead and invest in a racheting boxhead 13mm wrench, it is worth the 10 bucks.
I have the red and white version which is one sexy looking bike, but the Ag2r paint scheme is equally drool inducing.
I also splurged on Feather brakes, which I admit is over the top, but for light weight stoppers, these do an excellent job.

Purchased At:   Main Street Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Fuji SST, Schwinn Peloton pro, Trek Madone, Raleigh team, tons of alloy frames.

Bike Setup:   SRAM red shifters, RD, cassette.
Dura Ace 7800 FD and Cranks
Feather brakes
SSM Zoncolan saddle
Fulcrum Racing 3's with Vittoria Open Pro's

Submitted by spectre-73 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2008

Strengths:    light, stiff BB-more power transmitted, faster than my old bike, rare/abit exotic

Weaknesses:    Like vifa250 I also had trouble with the seat slipping. When the seat clamp bolt is tightened the lower seat clamp lifts off the serrated fitting and clamps on the side of the serrated fitting. Now the easy fix- I applied "screw grab" (course valve grinding paste may also work)on the side/outer faces of the lower serrated fitting and on the inner faces of the lower seat rail clamp fitting. Reassemble and tighten, recheck half way through first ride and after each ride for a week. I haven't touched it since, 4000km later still no slippage/problems.

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2006 BH global G2 frame
This is my first full carbon frame and I love the ride, the extra speed and the stiff BB. The ISP is also the way of the future.

Favorite Ride:   Mt Mee

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Trek 2100 bonded carbon frame.

Bike Setup:   Bh global G2, 2008 campagnolo chorus/record, fulcrum Racing 3

Submitted by Benjamin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2008

Strengths:    No cut integrated seat post. Made in Spain. Not that common. Have Had compements on bike.

Weaknesses:    A bit of a problem if large frame and bike case usage when traveling because of semi integrated post. Yet to try but is a bit of a concern. I probably would not buy another frame with integrated seatpost. Would rather sacrafice slight weight penalty for traveling with bike in a case.

Bottom Line:
Review for BH G3. This bike is made for racing. Light ( 7.1-7.2kg with peddles), stiff, quick handling. If you are after a good climbing bike this fits the bill. Regarding frame size, I have a large one. I am 188cm tall. Bike came with 130mm stem that I changed to 140mm stem so I could lower bars without hiting knees when out of saddle. I got a good deal on my bike so 5 for value. 5 also for being a well speced race bike ready to go.

Favorite Ride:   Humevale Rd Whitlesea Victoria Australia

Purchased At:   Terry Hammond Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Non, only second carbon road bike, last one was a Azzurri Forza with Ultegra (very flexy compared to BH, but cost only $3000.

Bike Setup:   BH G3 frame and fork. Campag Record and Neutron Ultra wheels. Deda Deep bars. Ritchey WCS 4Axis stem. San Marco Concor saddle.