Bianchi 1885 Alu Hydro Carbon Road Bike

4.54/5 (13 Reviews)

1885 - The year the “Mechanical Workshop Edoardo Bianchi” was founded.

Redesigned after the experience acquired with the Hydroforming technology, the frame has been slimmed down while keeping it’s performance characteristics unchanged. Constructed from aeronautic grade 7000 series aluminium, with resistance features comparable to those of steel yet with 1/3 density, it enables the Reparto Corse designers to work out tube sections and gauges, obtaining an appealing design with high levels of performance and limited weight.

Submitted by Grzzzly_Admz a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2009

Strengths:    The frame - superb craftsmanship for the price, the snap of AL, plus carbon for improved vertical compliance. Hand made by Reparto Corse. Campy Veloce group, esp brakes- much stronger than Shimano

Weaknesses:    I swapped the stock Selle San Marco seat for Selle Italia SLR after several long rides. Other posters have cited the weight of the wheels; however, they are sturdy, and the increase in $/g rises sharply for lighter wheelests.

Bottom Line:
After 7 years on a steel Schwinn Traveler s/s, I was intent on finding a good value, entry-level roadbike that I could use in multi-day rides as well as Cat4/5 racing. I tried various manufacturers but settled for the Bianchi, because ultimately, it was the most fun to ride. I tested numerous bikes, and this is the only one that left me grinning like a fool after the test ride.
The Italian-made Reparto Corse frame provides the stiffness of Al, while the carbon seatstays, fork and seatpost soak up some vibration. The bike comes nicely spec'ed for under 2K.
Bikes BiKyle's comprehensive fitting ensured this was the most comfortable bike I have owned. I had heard stories about Campy gear requiring time to bed in, but the group was set up correctly from the start and has performed flawlessly for nearly two years. This bike makes me want to ride as much as I can. I highly recommend it to the sport-rec rider who wants to get into racing.

Favorite Ride:   Haast Pass, South Island

Purchased At:   BiKyle - Bryn Mawr,

Similar Products Used:   Trek, LeMond Al frames, Trek 5000, Orbea, Felt F3, Bianchi Virata and Seven Elium SG (The most frighteningly efficient translation of human energy into forward momentum that I have experienced!); various tiers of Campy and Shimano groupsets.

Bike Setup:   Stock Campy Veloce 10sp, Khamsin wheels, Selle Italia SLR, ITM Wing-shape bar.

Submitted by mcgroup53 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2008

Strengths:    Stiffness with reasonable comfort, excellent price, great build with the Campy version.

Weaknesses:    A bit heavy, but what do you xpect for a CF/aluminum frame. I could cut 2 pounds easily off this by changing the wheels, the cassette and saddle, with more weight to be saved by changing the seatpost, stem and bars.

Bottom Line:
I am VERY picky about bikes, and have owned a lot of high-end gear. The 1885 is a wonderful frame and fork set. Stiff enough to climb and spring well, but soaks up road shock well with the CF fork and wishbone seatstay.

If you buy this bike, stay away from the cheaper Shimno component versions and spring for a full Campy Veloce equipped version. Mine has Campy Khamsin G3 wheels tht are a bit heavy, but are surely bombproof, and the Veloce gruoppe brakes and shifts better than Shimano or SRAM gear at twice the price.

Favorite Ride:   Hilly Hundred

Submitted by Snufkin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2008

Strengths:    A great package, comfortable agile and responsive.

Weaknesses:    Not the best seatpost or seatclamp.

Bottom Line:
I have to say, I've always had a major lust for Bianchi bikes but this is the first one I have owned. I'm relieved that it is so good. My model sits at the bottom of the B4P range that bridges the gap between the full on race HC range and the sportif styled C2Cs, and it does an admirable job for its intended purpose, It's comfortble in 150 mile rides and responsive and agile in sprints and decents. The Veloce groupset is very nice, the hoods are comfortable and the shifts are precise. The crankset is admirably stiff, the brakes are powerful and confidence inspiring. The carbon wrapped bar and stem look the part and function well. Whilst the carbon seatpost adds to the comfort the seatclamp doesn't offer a great deal of micro adjustment for tilt, so my saddle nose seems either slightly too high or too low. The seatclamp was also not man enough to stop the post slipping but a replacement was cheap enough.
The Khamsin wheels may not be the lightest out there but the are tough and stiff.
I've marked the value down at 4. If you are purely interested in bang for your buck there are probably better deals to be had. But, if you are prepared to spend a little extra you'll be getting an Italian made frame with all the glamour and romance that brings, and for me, that was worth paying for.

Favorite Ride:   None in particular

Purchased At:   Pedal Revolution

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R600, Giant Bowery

Bike Setup:   2008 Bianchi 1885 Hydro Carbon Veloce, stock (except for replacement seatpost clamp). NB Price paid was £1000 not dollars.

Submitted by perezracing a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2008

Strengths:    Great value. Still handmade Italian Frame.

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy but nothing to complain.

Bottom Line:
This is my first "real" road bike and I can't get enough of it. If you are not a hardcore racer, this one is a real bang for your buck. Very responsive steering, with carbon ITM wing handlebars, stem and fork. Stiff frame make it a well mannered climber. Stock 105 components do the job but deserves a future up-grade.

Favorite Ride:   Vail Pass, CO.

Purchased At:   Mountain Sports Outl

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   Carbon Wingshape ITM handlebar, stem, seatpost combo, Fizik Arione Bianchi-Liquigas edition, Michelin Axial Celeste tires, Carbon FSA SLK cranks, Ultegra Cassette, Shimano WH-R560 Wheels, Look KEO Sprint Pedals. Elite Bianchi Celeste bottle cages.

Submitted by them-apples a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2008

Strengths:    The frame is very stiff. I like the way the bike responds to my sprinting on the flats. As someone said in a previous posting, the bike is bombproof on descents with pinpoint steering. The carbon fork, stays and now my recently added Record carbon Seatpost does much to soften the ride.

Weaknesses:    The stock alloy w/ carbon covered seatpost was a bit of a dud - a pain to adjust the saddle angle. Price in Seoul. Bianchis tend to be overpriced in Korea as the natives have an appreciation of venerable lineages such as Bianchi, Campagnolo, Mercedes, BMW, Cartier, etc....

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I am the maniac riding crazier than the insane cab drivers in downtown Seoul on my way to the nearest mountain or the Han River. I recognize that this is not your $6-8K uber machine. BUT - I love the machine!

Favorite Ride:   mountain rides in and around Seoul