Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged Road Bike

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)

The exclusive design from Bianchi Reparto Corse, which combines the down tube and the oversized seat tube with the rear Monostay, improves the resistance to twisting and lateral bending thus resulting in a good transfer of power to the rear triangle. Group Campagnolo Chorus, Handlebar and Stem ITM Four Super Over, Seatpost FSA Carbon Pro, Crankset Bianchi Componenti full carbon, Wheels Campagnolo Zonda.

Submitted by tonypet69 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2010

Strengths:    Beautiful and durable carbon finish w/. celeste accents. Very fast bike, corners perfectly, No compromise on any given criteria, whether climbing sprinting or descending. Bianchi heritage and knowhow in bike making. Inspires confidence and will definitely bring out the best in you as a cyclist.

Weaknesses:    zip, nada, none

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome bike that can do anything very well. A bit too stiff but well worth it. kinda on the heavy side, coz the lugs certainly did use extra materials, hence the extra weight. I compensated it a bit by using the bianchi 928 sl fork which saved me almost a couple hundred grams when cut. But when riding, it seems as if it's a much much lighter bike. I guess due to the fact that there is zero energy wasted coz it is just so laterally stiff and vertically compliant as well. Mine is the 2007 duraace version by bianchi w/ the ksyrium sl, all stock except the sl fork and an extra dr.dobermann cage, and an itm computer mount. This is basically one of the team bikes used by liquigas but improved w/ beefier chainstays. It is a perfect all around bike great for everything. When I first rode it I could'nt believe how easy it was for me to accelerate upwards compared to my other bike w/c is abianchi ducati corse xr also w/ duraace. Though the other bike is lighter by about 300 grams. Though the ducati's ride is much buttery and spoiled like you are some royalty, it is a great bike by it's own right as well. But I prefer to use the lugged for crits and shorter races.

Favorite Ride:   santiago canyon, nohl ranch rd.

Purchased At:   Jenson U.S.A.

Similar Products Used:   olmo scatto, khs flite 300, bianchi ducati corse, colnago c-50, csk

Bike Setup:   all stock except the sl fork and an additional bianchi dobermann cage, and a cf itm computer mount

Submitted by Umbaerto Carchia a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2008

Strengths:    Power transfer, comfortable ride, climbing, desending & cornering.

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
Awesome Bike! The ride is very comfortable, Power transfer is maybe it's strongest suit, strong bottom bracket w/ no flex, ensure excellent climbing & desending. I can't leave out the handling, this thing takes corners as if it's on rails. Hands free riding is a breeze. Also, I have to mention, that the Record groupset is absolutely fantastic as well, simply the cream of the crop!
Hat's off to Bianchi, I lOVE THIS BIKE!

Favorite Ride:   Peninsula, Ohio

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Giro, Specialized Tarmac.

Bike Setup:   2008 Campagnolo Record groupset, Ultra torque 39/53 cranks, 172.5 crank arms, 11/25 rear cassette, Campagnolo Zonda wheelset, ITM 4ever, stem, bar & seatpost, Selle Italia Flight saddle. Look sprint pedals.
Weight:16.5lbs.

Submitted by Cogito a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2008

Strengths:    Beauty, stiffness, tracking, value

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter I suppose but see strengths 2 and 4

Bottom Line:
This bike replaced my S Works E5 that was little too small for me and bit banged up from some race crashes. I had a Bianchi single speed mtn bike and was interested in an Italian brand with heritage. I don't think it's any faster than the E5 but it's more comfortable and way better looking. I love the different tube shapes. I agree with the other reviews on handling, though I never had any shimmy on this bike and I know what shimmy is. If your bike wobbles when you pull on the front brakes have an experienced mechanic look at it because there's something wrong with the way it was put together. I would add that it is super quiet and flawless to ride. I still think it's beautiful after two years. I've had Dura Ace 9 and Ksyriums on it but currently run 07 Chorus and Euros. Nothing wrong with the former but I like the elegance of Campy. I'd love to see this bike weigh sub 16 lbs but I think that will necessitate an upgrade to carbon tubulars. Right now it's 17.4 with everything on it. 56cm. The frame weighs 1190g stripped.

Favorite Ride:   Hills in dappled sunlight

Purchased At:   Adams Ave Bikes

Similar Products Used:   '03 Specialized S Works E5
Kestrel 200SCi

Bike Setup:   07 Chorus Gruppo with Carbon ultra torque cranks. Euros wheel set. S Works bar and stem

Submitted by fcurtis a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2008

Strengths:    Stiffness, looks, lugs, and it is Italian.

Weaknesses:    Fork wobbles during breaking, and shain stay geometry seems off.

Bottom Line:
I go the bike as a warranty replacing my beautiful 928 120th Anniversary frame that cracked along the down tube. It took a while for the frame to come int but once it did, it was well worth it. The lugged frame is an upgrade from my old 928. The ride quality is about the same from the 928 monocoque yet the stiffness that comes in the new lugged is superb. Accelerations feel lightning quick with this frame. I have noticed two drawbacks with this frame. The first is concerned with the full carbon fork. The fork begins to vibrate when the front brakes are applied and shakes the whole bike. Nothing to worry about, just an annoying. The second has to do with the frame geometry and chainstay placement. Whenever I am in my 34 chainwring and in any of the 4 smaller cogs in the rear, the chain rubs the front 50 chain ring. My LBS said there was nothing they could do and it was the compact gearing yet my other frame did not have these problems.

Purchased At:   Gran Fondo

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi SL3 Veloce, Bianchi 928 120th Anniversary

Bike Setup:   Bianchi 928 Lugged, Campy Record compact drivetrain, ITM K-sword bars and 4-Ever stem, Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Saddle

Submitted by otoman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2008

Strengths:    Cornering, comfort and stability.
Great durability - I have put 15K miles on this bike with no issues with the frame/fork at all.

Weaknesses:    not the lightest out there but certainly light enough. I believe the frame is 1350 grams in a size 60.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike. It is stable at 50+ mph speeds yet can carve a corner. Truly, the cornering is telepathic - it is not twitchy nor do I feel like I am pushing it through the corner. Very stiff with efficient power transfer but all day comfortable. The $4200 price I paid was without wheels as I already had a few sets laying around.

Favorite Ride:   Fernvale Loop