Bianchi 928 Carbon Road Bike

4.52/5 (31 Reviews)

Here carbon fibre research reaches the pinnacle of both design and performance. The use of UHM/IM Ultra High Modulus Graphite carbon fibres, which are 47% more resistant than the standard fibres currently used in the market, feature a tensile strength of up to 2.800 N/mm2. Designed and oriented by means of FEM (Finite Element method) software. The exclusive design from Bianchi Reparto Corse, which combines the down tube and the oversized seat tube with the rear Monostay, improves the resistance to twisting and lateral bending thus resulting in a good transfer of power to the rear triangle.

Submitted by jojo a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2011

Strengths:    - stiff yet comfortable
- great road feel
- superb handling
- not crazy light but feels sturdy
- excellent climbing and sprinting bike and also a superb randonnering bike (makes no sense but this thing is comfortable)

Weaknesses:    - They stopped making it!!!! Why! Oltre is expensive, regular 928 is beautiful as well so might have to get one of those next.

Bottom Line:
I got this as a cheaper bike for crits so I would not crash my Look 585, but I ended up riding this bike more than anything else. It us superbly comfortable and yet super stiff when it counts. It is so effortless and easy and climbs extremely well. I have tried a lot of bikes and have yet to find one I like better. Too bad they do not make the T-Cube anymore. Has great road feel (does not feel dead like a top of the line Trek or Specialized carbon bike) and handles perfectly. I really like this thing. Have full 7900DA on it and various wheels sets eg. I also do long rides and brevets 200-600kms on this and am perfectly comfortable, no aches or pains from this one except the old pain in the butt after sitting many hours on my selle italia flite. Superb bike, you notice Bianchis 100 years of experience building bike while riding this thing. Must count for something.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride

Purchased At:   Various

Similar Products Used:   - Look 585
- Seven ID8
- Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3
- Trek Madone 5.2

Bike Setup:   Shimano DA7900, Hed Ardennes, Shimano Utlegra with tubeless Hutchinsons, Mavic Axium race, Mavic R-sys SL, and Reynolds DV3 tubulars. Look keo max, selle italia flite saddle, easton EA50 bar and bianchi carbon stem.

Submitted by STS_PA a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    Very good climber with no noticeable flex, although I'm not a powerhouse at 145 lbs. Tracks straight at >40+ mph and decends well. Very light, good looking frame that feels robust. Quality detailing on the frame (badges vs. stickers, etc.). Veloce shifters/brakes have worked flawlessly. Good value at price I paid.

Weaknesses:    Ride is pretty stiff. The frame is only 1 KG, but Veloce components and supplied wheels, bars, stem, seat, etc. are heavy. I got a deal on mine, but never would have paid full sticker ($3500) for these components. Handling not as inspiring (to me) as the CLX.

Bottom Line:
I have around 4K miles on my celeste 928 T-Cube, which replaced a Colnago CLX destroyed by a car. The 928 feels more hard-edged than the CLX. Its stiffer and the quicker handling requires more attention, although it holds a line very well. Attractive bike that retains a classic look. Definitely behaves like the pro level frame it is.

Favorite Ride:   Southern Chester County

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Colnago CLX (Great bike), Merlin Extralight, Fondriest Status, Pinarello Asolo.

Bike Setup:   2008 928 T-Cube, Veloce 10 speed. Upgraded to carbon Centaur cranks, Easton Wing bars, San Marco ERA saddle and Shamal wheels. 17.5 lbs

Submitted by unclerock a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    climbing, accelerating out of corners

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Review is for a 2008 T-cube w/Veloce and Fulcrum 7 wheels. I just bought the bike about 2 months ago and only ride it on weekend long & group rides, ~250 mi on the bike so far, frame arrived truly like new & components had 0 miles. This is my first all-carbon bike. It came with a Bontrager saddle, not stock. Replaced with SLR vanox, best saddle I've owned. This bike accelerates superbly, and climbs like a dream. Truly the best climbing bike I've ever ridden, seems to accelerate up hills. Its very stable on the flats and the carbon frame & post soak up larger bumps pretty well. I have noticed a goodly amount of hand buzz from poor condition chip-seal roads, wondering if a carbon bar might help with that. The bike is amazingly light and very nice finish - Bianchi Green!

Favorite Ride:   Chappell Hill, Pattison-Bellville loop

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   '86 Falcon 6spd, Reynolds 531 steel
'06 Guru chron'alu tri-bike

Bike Setup:   Veloce 10spd all around, mid-size cage rear derailleur, Selle Italia SLR, KEO carbon, Fulcrum 7 wheels, all else stock

Submitted by fliowa a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    Great bike for centuries and tours. Bike came with lifetime frame warranty and my LBS threw in free maint. for life as well.

Weaknesses:    The shifter cables rub on the top portion of the fork. The rubber sleeves around the cables are suppose to prevent this but don't because they slide up and down. It is a cosmetic issue only.

Bottom Line:
2008 C2C with 105. I have put about 3500 miles on this bike since purchase in 2008. I have done a century ride and a 270 mile three day tour on it. I can't imagine a more comfortable bike for long rides. It really absorbs the bumps. If you are looking for a high miler this bike would fit the bill.

Favorite Ride:   Police Unity Tour

Purchased At:   Plan B Port Orange,F

Similar Products Used:   Raleigh, Cannondale

Submitted by Bianchi Jim a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2008

Strengths:    Appearance - Very nice looking frame. Very stable especially descending at higher speeds (> 45 mph)

Weaknesses:    It cracked! Also, it was not as light as it could have been. I also noticed some heavily discounted frames - after I purchased mine. I could have gotten one cheaper.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this frame as an upgrade to a 2002 steel Bianchi Veloce. I then upgrade all of the Campy Veloce goup to Record. I thought I had the bike setup just the way I wante it. While I enjoyed the new frame and liked the appearance I was very disappointed when cracks appeared in two spots on the frame near the seatpost. Bianchi stood behind it, with a fee to upgade to the new 928 SL since they no longer made the frame or had any in stock. It took quite a while to get this change over complete.

Favorite Ride:   Hills East of Rochester NY