Bianchi Eros Road Bike

Pedals: Victor VP-109
Tires: 700 x 25c Continental Sport 1000

Submitted by manfromcolorado a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2008

Strengths:    Rock-solid steel frame and carbon fork, Mavic Aksium wheels (the best--always stay true), Campy drivetrain.

Weaknesses:    The saddle (Bianchi Velo) is not a weakness, but for me, the width of the saddle is. My sit bones measures 150mm, the Bianchi Saddle is, I believe, 140. But for $699.00 there really are no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
For what I paid, this is the best bike on the market, bar none. At the time I did not want to pay a lot for a carbon bike because I wasn't sure if I would stick with cycling. The sales person recommended a Specialized Alez, a Trek (?) and the Bianchi Eros. The Specialized and Trek were outfitted with Shimano Tiagra and 105 and the Bianchi with Campy Mirage. After riding all three, the difference was like day and night. For my money, the Bianchi won hands down. I've ridden the bike in many, many centuries over the past 18 months and I can tell you that the bike is rock solid and, with the right rider, can blow past the more expensive, name brand carbon frames. The Mavic Aksium wheels are especially noteworthy. Their hubs keeps you gliding for miles. The Mirage shifts are, in my opinion, on par with Shimano's 105s although the Mirage drivetrain makes some noise when shifting. But when Bicycle Village warrants the bike for as long as you own it, you can't go wrong. My bike is stock except for the tires, handlebar and seat post. I replaced the non-folding, wire bead tires with Performance's Forte, installed a 42cm carbon handlebar and installed a 350 carbon seatpost. Oh, one more thing, I also installed Mr. Tuffy tire liner. Not one flat with over 2000 miles. The result is effortless cycling.

Favorite Ride:   anything over 50 miles

Purchased At:   Bicycle Village, Col

Similar Products Used:   Fuju Team Carbon (61 cm) (Shimano Ultegra/Dura Ace drivetrain, Ritchie handlebar, carbon stem, carbon seatpost, selle smp trk saddle, speedplay light pedals, Vitorrio Rubino tires)

Performance's Scattante (60 cm) (Shimano 105/Ultegra drivetrain, Ritchie handlebar, carbon stem, carbon seatpost, shimano, Look capatible, pedals, Vre

Bike Setup:   VP AheadSet, 1 1/8" threadless; Handlebar 42cm Forte; Stem Bianchi Componenti,Brakes/Levers Campagnolo Mirage brakes / Mirage ErgoPower levers;
Crankset Mirage, 30/42/52T; Bottom Bracket
Cartridge;Chain SRAM;Cassette Campagnolo, 13/26T 9spd; Pedals shimano 105; Wheels
Mavic Aksium wheelset; Tires Vittoria Rubino, 700x23C; Derailleurs, r/f;
Campagnolo Mirage 9spd / Mirage 28.6mm;
Shifters Campagnolo Mirage ErgoPower;
Saddle Bianchi Velo;Seatpost Forte Carbon, 27.2mm

Submitted by Epquist a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2008

Strengths:    Value, comfort, duribility and good looks. Performance (for its class)

Weaknesses:    Weight. My bike (61cm frame) probably weights 22 pounds.

Bottom Line:
The Bianchi EROS was my first road bike and I will always remember it as the bike that got my addicted to cycling. When I first bought it I was shocked by how good looking it was, especially b/c it’s Celeste (Bianchi light blue color). Maybe its just the color but the bike will definitely turn heads. I put about 60 to 80 miles on it a week and completed a century as well as a many other 60 plus mile rides. The Steel frame makes it very comfortable. That being said I don't feel like the bike is slow as I can outpace many of my friends on new carbon frames. The Campy Veloce components have been problem free, durable and a pleasure to use. This bike is perfect for someone who is new to cycling and looking to get serious or for someone who wants to get in better shape by riding distance. Out of all the bikes I have owned no other bike has a value like this one. I frequently choose to ride it over my BMC!

Favorite Ride:   Manayunk, Outside Philadelphia

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   2007 BMC Team Machine

Bike Setup:   Fizink saddle, original Campy Veolce, look peddels.

Submitted by James a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2007

Strengths:    Frame is outstanding for comfort, love the Mirage drivetrain, Mavic Askium wheelset is strong (I'm 220) and I have hit some serious potholes and remain absolutely true. Beautiful welds and falwless paint (love the Celeste color).

Weaknesses:    Seat is not comfortable and replaced with Specialized Avatar.

Bottom Line:
If you enjoy any distance riding, you will quickly appreciate how smooth and comfortable this bike is. After riding almuinum frames, the Reynolds steel frame and carbon fork of the Eros, absorbs bumps, road imprefections, and chip seal asphalt like a sponge. Perfect geometry for any charity rides, longer distances, and flawless Camp drivetrain.

Favorite Ride:   n. california foothills

Purchased At:   village cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Test rode: Trek 1000 and 1500, sold my 2004 Specialized Allez. Aluiminum frames are great for racing, but after 10 miles you will appreciate the less jarring ride of quality steel with carbon fork.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for replacing the seat

Submitted by Lawrencer2003 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2006

Strengths:    Marvelous century bike, all day comfort and performance. Great upgrade platform. Mavic wheels are still true and strong. Super value. Braze ons, pump peg for light touring.

Weaknesses:    Mirage is just a shadow of the real Campi stuff. Impossible to tune, flimsy and imprecise. Very dissapointed that the frame failed as I had plans to upgrade the drive train. Cheap headset wore out quickly replaced by a Cris King.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike because Outside Mag. featured it a best buy. I'm a big guy 6' 225lbs and my wife said it looked like I was riding a greyhound. The rear wheel fell apart on the second ride but no problems therafter. The mirage shifters died in a crash, replaced by Chorus. I had to replace the headset with a Chris King. I put thousands of happy miles on this bike until the frame failed behind the headset last year. I cannot bring myself to toss it out but replaced it with a new Waterford RST22 this year. Great bike and fond memories.

Favorite Ride:   Boston To Cape Cod

Purchased At:   Cycle Craft - Parsip

Similar Products Used:   A string of older road & hybrid bikes and now custom Waterford RST 22.

Bike Setup:   Waterford RST22, Campi Centaur Compact, Mavic Aksium, Cris King HS, Ritchey Pro, Continental GP400; Terry Fly.

Submitted by Andrew Hinerfeld a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2006

Strengths:    Comfortable ride, yet responsive. Good gear range and nice overall geometry for long distance recreational riding.

Weaknesses:    Perhaps the weight, but how would I know after riding thousands of miles on a mtn. bike.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike as an upgrade from recreational riding on my 92 Kona mtn. bike with slicks. I toured across the country ten years ago and am an avid country road recreational cyclist. This bike suits me just fine. I like the combination of steel frame with carbon fork and the slightly relaxed position. The bike is definitely comfortable, yet plenty responsive. If you want a more aggressive geometry, tweak the stem and set. I tried this, but quickly went back to the stock geometry --so comfortable, yet still very ergonomically correct for aggressive riding. Also, I like the triple chain rings as we have some hilly terrain and I like to stay in the saddle and keep my cadence above 80. Oh, I instantly switched saddles --my Italia saddle is way more comfortable than the Bianchi saddle --which now resides on the 14 year old Kona! SO FAR, SO GOOD.

Favorite Ride:   32 mile loop north from Athens, GA

Purchased At:   Georgia Cycle Sport

Bike Setup:   All stock, except for an Italia saddle.

Used bike shopping: Klein Quantum vs. Bianch Eros

Not sure what model year the Klein is, possibly a 2000-02. It has the purple paint that changes to green depending on light. Shimano 105 triple. The owner states that it is a Quantum Race, but a little research doesn't turn up anything about the Quantum Race Triple having 105 so possibly the compone ... Read More »

Bianchi eros for $500?

Hi, I'm looking at this Bianchi Eros, seller does not know the year. He wants $500 firm. Campagnola parts. [url]https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/bik/4543012290.html[/url] is this a good price? Guy is maybe a bit shifty, since he says he hasn't ridden it much, implying low mileage, but via text ... Read More »

Dark Blue Bianchi Eros $420

Hi guys. This is my last resort. I do not know anybody into cycling, due to my young age. So I am asking for your help. I was wondering if this is a bad buy. He originally wanted $450, but he would only budge down $30. Its in lightly used condition, with campy parts. Here is the link to a bike pedia ... Read More »

Price for Bianchi Eros

Hello, I am interested in purchasing a used 2002 Bianchi Eros; appears in very good shape. Is $500 a reasonable price, with upgraded Mavic rear wheel? Thanks very much. MikeRead More »

Bianchi Eros frame with Campagnolo wheel

Anyone interested in this frame: serial #71055144R, fully lugged, double-butted cro-mo tubing. Plus a Campagnolo Melbourne 56 wheel. See pictures.Read More »