Bianchi Vigorelli Road Bike

Pedals: Wellgo clipless
Tires: 700 x 23c Vittoria Rubino Tech

Submitted by NurseCycle a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2017

Strengths:    A joy to ride for a fat girl. Much easier on hills than my previous aluminum bike. I have been riding this bike for more than ten years now. The comfort and ease of downhill speeding makes this bike thrilling. It's easy to ride without hands, or doing the YMCA song while clipped in. I wasn't able to do that with an aluminum frame, which made my ride more unstable. I tried out some carbon bikes over the years, but always went back to the steel. The extra weight was worth the better feel and smoother ride.

Weaknesses:    The only problem I've had with this bike is that sometimes it doesn't shift well on uphills. Not a big deal, considering ten years of great riding. The top tube is a bit long for my short body frame, which isn't a weakness in the bike, but it does make it hard on my neck on longer rides. It's made for a man's longer torso, and I never could adjust the stem to fit me well enough.

Bottom Line:
I have loved this bike, and enjoyed taking it many places. It's been a commuter, a training bike, a weekender bike, and helped me raise over $16,000 for the MS Bike Rides. My neck is in need of something else, and I have given this bike to someone who needs it more than I do, and fits the bike better than I did. I truly hate to part with it, as it's the best bike I have owned. However, my other bike is also a Bianchi steel touring bike, and I enjoy it very much, too. When I get another road bike, I will look for a Bianchi.

Favorite Ride:   All of them!

Purchased At:   United States

Bike Setup:   Stock components, adjustable stem, aerobars, SPD pedals, WTB saddle, iPod with iSpeaker, fun attitude

Submitted by philipaparker a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride, traditional geometry, high quality.

Weaknesses:    Wheel set

Bottom Line:
I bought a new 2010 Bianchi Vigorelli because I wanted a steel frame bike with traditional geometry, seems as most of the shop bike mechanics around San Francisco ride steel frame bikes. I have a carbon frame bike which is very stiff and unforgiving. I felt every pebble in the road. For a long distance the Bianchi is really comfortable. I don't race, just ride with my club, do Charity rides, centuries and Gran fondos. The bike with pedals weights 19.2 lbs vs 17.4 lbs on my carbon bike with peddles. So the weight isn't a that much of difference. I did change the wheels to Mavic Aksium everything else is stock. Really didn't have to change anything else. Very good quality and am very pleased with the bike overall.

Favorite Ride:   Hills of West Marin

Purchased At:   American Cyclery San

Similar Products Used:   Look 555

Bike Setup:   Stock, 105 build, upgraded the wheel set to Mavic Aksium Race.

Submitted by BDM a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2009

Strengths:    Ultegra group. Steel frame.

Weaknesses:    Heavier than alu. I notice it on the hills.

Bottom Line:
I ride on the back roads, beat up bike paths, etc. Steel is durable, reliable, and predicatble. My 2006 is all Ultegra-and it just works.

Favorite Ride:   TOSRV

Submitted by Steve a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth ride. I'm getting a new bike but will keep this one as my work horse; great for commuting to work and running errands in town.

Weaknesses:    Climbing is truly a nightmare on this bike.

Bottom Line:
I have only owned Bianchis. I loved this bike until I went on a 6 day, 80+ mile per day ride with lots of hills. Climbing is a huge chore. I came to realize that this bike is maybe a bit more comfortable than the lighter, carbon bikes but that trade-off is not worth the extra effort on the hills.

Favorite Ride:   PCH north of Malibu

Submitted by just_ryd a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2006

Strengths:    Comfort - nothing rides like an Italian designed steel bike!

Weaknesses:    Climbing is a chore. This is possibly due to weight (22+ lbs with an underseat bag and two bottles). Original stem too long for even a 6'4" rider on a 61cm.

Bottom Line:
An excellent bike for the money. It came with a FULL Ultegra group and Mavics for a good price. It is a comfortable steed for long rides or commuting, possibly light touring. It can be a bit flexy on out of the saddle climbs, even more than some other steel frames. Climbing is not my specialty, but I notice a big difference between this bike and my Cannondale al-frame flyweight. Having said that, I am sure this rig will be with me as long as I can ride, 'cause steel is real! I'm sure I could spend a small fortune making it lighter, but that could undermine the reliability of this bike. Three years of riding and the only needed repairs have been tires and tune-ups.

Favorite Ride:   Auburn loop

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list...

Bike Setup:   Out of the box stock except for stem. The bike is perfect for what I use it for.