BMC Race Machine RM01 Road Bike

The BMC Race Machine is a brand new, from the ground up design. While it shares a lot of the same DNA as its big brother, the Team Machine, it is still uniquely its own bike. Using new technology that BMC refers to as "Tuned Compliance Concept," they are able to create a frame that is equally suited to your next century ride or the weekend Criterium. This is accomplished by designing zones of the bicycle that will flex vertically, yet remain rigid torsionally. This all adds up to a bicycle that is more comfortable and maintains better contact with the road, while just waiting to explode out of the next corner. Complete with all features of the next generation of bicycles: -Tapered steertube with integrated headtube -BB86 Bottom Bracket -Semi-integrated seatpost

Submitted by Rain a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2013

Strengths:    Stable handling, very comfortable for performance level, superb finish. You won't feel like you're wasting any energy.

Weaknesses:    None for me. I'm really reaching here. . If you're a kw level sprinter and need BB30 look elsewhere. The pf86 BB limits you to Dura ace.

Bottom Line:
This size 50 frame replaced a 52 CAAD9 and is a noticeable improvement. The handling increases confidence and yes, I have repeatedly taken drinks and gels at over 25mph. Yet somehow there's sufficient agility for sudden changes in direction. Somebody worked long and hard on this geometry and it shows. Like a CAAD9, this frame demands and rewards larger size chainrings as a compact is laughable unless you're in true alpine country. The head tube length is such that you won't need more than one of the provided 10mm spacers, if that, on a properly fitted build. The ride quality is damped like every other carbon frame I tried and disappears chip seal a bit better than my old frame. This frame lets me into the zone where I could care less about compliance and all the current "Gran Fondo" hype anyway. After all it's called a race machine and if that's what you want than you wont be disappointed. The handling seems a bit slow until I've been hammering along for hours and then realize and appreciate the value of stability as my reaction time increases.

Favorite Ride:   2-3 hours at 80%

Purchased At:   Competitive

Similar Products Used:   You name it I test rode it. This ones as good as any and for the price I paid for the frame kicks butt.

Bike Setup:   Dura 9000 c24 wheels with Vredestein fortezza slicks, 6700 Ultegra with 5700 rear derailleur, Cheesy store bikes sometimes have budget parts with a token high end rear derailleur. Being a smartass, I slapped some Tacx bearing pulleys on a 105 just to make a point! It works like my old 7900 for 50 bucks. I've grown outa weight weeniness and this thing still comes in way under 16 pounds.

Submitted by Wolfgang1976 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2012

Strengths:    Very Light, Climbs Well, Extremely Stable at high Speeds, Handling is surprisingly good despite fork rake angle. Geometry of bike allows you to get a smaller bike than competitors (I'm 6"2 on a 57cm - hard to believe). Bike is very unique and interesting- it has character.

Weaknesses:    no major weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I wanted a bike that was unique, had character and would be responsive, fast and comfortable. I am an amateur racer, usually do crits and road races. I also enjoy doing ultra endurance rides. I find this bike to be a huge improvement over my last bike (Klein Quantam Pro). For one it is lighter and climbs much faster. I noticed that getting out of the saddle on a climb is much easier and more stable, and your effort translates into snappy accelerations. That is something I struggled with with on my last bike being a bigger guy (6"2, 190lbs). I typically stayed in the saddle while climbing. The change has let me stay with the race leaders on longer climbs. In racing, these small differences pay off. The bike is also much smaller than my last bike. It is a 57 compared to a 59 or 60cm that I usually ride. I think that makes handling a bit easier as well. Finally on long rides, the bike is great, it's comfortable enough to use for a 100+ mile ride. I considered getting the team machine for 1K more, but most people familiar with the bikes, told me to go with the race machine frame and use the savings towards my components. I went Campagnolo Super Record 11, with Campagnolo Eurus wheels, Easton carbon bars and stem. Bike is sub 15lbs. I would recommend the Race Machine very favorably. Swiss Power!

Favorite Ride:   Old La Honda

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Stockli Boy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2011

Strengths:    Stable, fast, smooth. Extremely stiff bottom bracket. No twitch, goes exactly where you point it. Stable enough to grab a bottle at 40MPH; I never would have done that on my Orca.

Weaknesses:    Slack head angle means it's more work in high-speed tight corners than my Orbea.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic stable, smooth ride. Climbs very well, smooths out road chatter. Excellent century bike. Very comfortable, quiet ride.

Favorite Ride:   the one I'm on right now

Purchased At:   ProBike Tucson

Similar Products Used:   2008 Orbea Orca

Bike Setup:   SRAM Red 39/53, 11-26. DT Mon Chasseral Wheelset, Tufo tires, FSA K-Wing Bars. SLR saddle. 16.04 lbs with cages, pedals, spare tube & CO2.

Submitted by sgh a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, climbs great, very stable, light.

Weaknesses:    No major weaknesses, if I had to pick minor things - SRAM Force brakes instead of SRAM Red and Selle Italia SL seat with manganese rails instead of an SLR with carbon. Wheels may have also been a weakness, but I had them removed at purchase.

Bottom Line:
Purchased this bike when my favorite bike shop started carrying BMC. I had been wanting to get a full carbon bike, but also wanted to get something that wasn't overly popular like Trek or Cervelo. I went with the Race Machine over the Team Machine at the suggestion of the shop owner due to the beefier rear dropouts on the Team Machine. Both bikes share the same geometry. I had the Easton wheels it came with removed and had my Kysrium SL Superlight Premiums put on. Great bike, I would highly recommend it.

Favorite Ride:   BMC Race Machine RM01

Purchased At:   Jubilee Cycles, Burn

Bike Setup:   BMC Race Machine RM01
SRAM Red groupo
Mavic Kysrium SL Superlight Premium
Sigma 2209 STS computer

Team Machine SLR01 vs Race Machine RM01

Greetings, Can anyone speak to what you get for the extra $1000 when you opt for the Team Machine? Aside from 140 less grams what else am I getting for the extra grand. Right now I'm tempted to put the money towards a good set of wheels. thoughts? MRead More »

Race Machine RM01

Does anyone have any experience on a Race Machine RM01? If so, what are your thoughts, how does it ride, climb, etc.? I am curently on a Cervelo R3 but will be trading in the new frame after a warranty claim. Thanks.Read More »

Colnago CLX 2.0 vs. BMC Race Machine RM01

I am replacing my Cervelo R3 with either a Colnago CLX 2.0 or a BMC Race Machine RM01. Does anyone have any expereince with the Colnago CLX 2.0 or the BMC Race Machine RM01? Pros or Cons to either. Thanks.Read More »