BMC Road Racer SL02 Road Bike

• Crankset: Shimano 105, 50-34
  • Cassette: Shimano 105, 11-28

Submitted by Matthieu Constanzo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    Design, light, looks, comfortable, responsive, internally routed cables, full Ultegra

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
My review is not for the SL02 but its cousin the SL01 Shimano Ultegra fully equipped. What could I say ? It is my first serious road bike weighing approximately 17 lbs. Full carbon, I love this bike, the way it handles roads and its precision in curves. Very safe with powerful braking, Acceleration is very easy and so exciting. The wheels of the SL01 are DT Swiss 1700 and I can tell you that they even if they could be upgraded for Mavic Ksyrium SR, they are enough to start with and the quality of the Tricon hub is really appreciated. As for the full Ultegra system, it is fast, reliable, light and nothing to complain about for its decent price. I am a beginner and I instantly started riding this bike for rides over 55 miles which for me is a feat since I had never considered riding for so long. I am 5'2 tall and weighs 112 lbs so very short and light and riding this bike is such a pleasure (even if my average speed is between 17 and 18 miles an hour on flat ground with some wind against) so I highly recommend this bike for recreational riders and more serious ones : you will really love it. Yes the only drawback is its suggested retail price but I could find a good 26 % discount on a 2011 model (only the colour changed) so... go for it !

Purchased At:   http://www.monvelo.c

Bike Setup:   Standard set up, Look Pedals

Submitted by YZF571 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2011

Strengths:    Strong accelleration, stiff, nimble, agressive but not overly so! Comfortable enough. Internally routed cables, decent running gear.

Weaknesses:    Rear end will get light if standing up in a sprint on choppy roads and skip around a bit. Not really an issue with me but it does get light. As long as the rearend doesn't pass the front end I'm okay! Same could be said for heavy braking on the front, if in an agressive stance and you have to grab a habndful, expect the rear end to get light and skip around a bit.

Bottom Line:
Let me start by saying I am a long time Mountain rider. All Mountain, XC, DH, DJ I like bikes and ride a lot! I had never considered road riding, recently when a friend of mine upgraded his 21 year old Cannondale Criterium Series (?), I bought his 21 year old bike from him (brakes barely stop, 6X2 set-up) for 100.00 I rode it for about 500 miles and..........loved it! Once I started looking for a serious road bike the Road Racer SL01 kept coming to th efrount as far as bang for the buck. I bought it and now have around 500 miles on it. I would discribe it as awesome, seriously I don't know much about road bikes but, 2100.00 for a full carbon Ultegra equipped bike that handles like a dream and moves out like a rocketship! I would say buy it, ride it, love it! Seriously, if your fitness isn't in question, noone will be running off from you. I especially like that it is a one of a kind, nothing looks or performs like it locally. You seriously break the local mold with this thing. Meaning it is no Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Scott, Fuji, or Focus. It is a great bike at a decent price. Mine came all but completely assembled, all it needed was a couple of minor adjustments to the brakes/shifters. I flipped the stem for a bit more comfort, readjusted the seat position and am loving it. I am 6' 185#'s with a 33" inseam, I bought the 57CM an it is perfect. I probably should say that I tend to like bigger bikes. My Ibis Mojo is an XL as is my Titus El Guapo, I like them (bikes, not the ladies) big! Can't wait for spring so I can put some big miles on it and figure things out. Competitive Cyclist is really good to deal with too. Plus there is a extended 5 year warranty, just sign up online!

Favorite Ride:   Haven't found it yet

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   None, less than 1000 road miles ever. Cannondale Criterium, then this.

Bike Setup:   Completely stock, flipped the stem to be at +7 degrees, made it mush more comfortable to me, at the expense of a tighter tucked position.

Submitted by Chris a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2011

Strengths:    Full 6700 Ultegra group. Light, responsive, internal cable routing, seat post design. Climbs well and sprints like a champ. Great value!

Weaknesses:    Wheels are not high end but are good training wheels. The neck and bars are a little bland in the design area.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Road Racer SL01 size 60. Full Ultegra group. Bike weight out of the box was 16lbs, 13oz. Very light for $2100 (on sale). The bike looks really good close up (If you like the way BMC's look).

Price Paid:    $2099.00