BMC Team Machine SLR01 Road Bike

It might not be about the bike, but maybe; just maybe; the bike can help you find that missing edge and land you squarely atop the podium. It might not be the Tour de France, and you might not be Cadel Evans; but winning is winning. Is it because of the BMC Team Machine that Cadel won the Tour? It's not the only reason, but as he and any other professional will tell you; without the best equipment, you're not going to win any race, let alone the Tour de France. With nearly one decade of ProTour pedigree, and now a victory in the world's biggest race, you will not find an inch of this frame that hasn't been refined to perfection. BMC has approached the concept of comfort and efficiency from many angles and every solution is present in the 2012 Team Machine SLR01; comprising a system they refer to as "Tuned Compliance Concept." The seat stays, seat post, and fork have all been designed to provide ample vertical compliance to keep you comfortable and in perfect contact with road, while always keeping an eye on performance. This allows you to keep pedaling as hard and efficiently as possible, on even the rougest of roads. As what seems to be an all too common practice in bicycles these days, BMC provides us with plenty of three-letter acronyms to describe their design process; no matter what they're calling it, it's working! Their ideologies, vision, and practices have produced a bike that is undeniably BMC; at the pinnacle of performance and design. Complete with all features of the next generation of bicycles: -Tapered steertube with integrated headtube -BB86 Bottom Bracket -Semi-integrated seatpost

Submitted by Saki a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2013

Strengths:    Great climber and accelerates very quickly! Light weight strong bike with a beautiful carbon finish

Weaknesses:    none so far except for the price lol

Bottom Line:
I love my Team machine! I recommend a carbon handlebar for a smoother ride. Climbing is so much easier due to the placement of the rear geometry .I did not pay an arm and a leg because i bought this on ebay for 700$ frame only, I know right? what a deal! I am lucky

Favorite Ride:   chantry flats

Purchased At:   ebay

Bike Setup:   Sram force! Mavic Kysriums sl carbon hub 3T fork 3T stem Specialized phenom saddle

Submitted by Cory a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2012

Strengths:    Solid, smooth and efficient ride. Comfortable. Great design. Lightweight. TdF winner

Weaknesses:    Price. BB86 bottom bracket (good design, but you will need to buy a new bottom bracket if you plan on using your current crankset)

Bottom Line:
The carbon on the top tube of my '09 Pro Machine failed and BMC sent me a 2012 Team Machine SLR01 under warranty! Kudos to BMC's customer service. The Team Machine is hands down the best all around road frame BMC has made. It has all of the characteristics that I loved about my Pro Machine, however, it is stiffer, more efficient and more comfortable. The bike is solid. The geometry is similar to the Pro Machine allowing it to track a straight line. Cornering is significantly improved thanks to the added lateral stiffness. The TCC design works. All of the annoying road chatter that would transmit through the seat tube and fork is eliminated or significantly dampened. The end result is a more comfortable ride.

BMC offers a unique product that performs and backs it up with equally good customer service.

Similar Products Used:   BMC Pro Machine

Bike Setup:   SRAM Force Gruppo
Ksyrium K10 wheels

Submitted by eric gosalvez a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2012

Strengths:    Light, Responsive, Fast, Color Scheme (red/black)

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
This is a very nice bike. You get what you paid for. Very light on the climb (as if it climb by itself) and stiff on the descents (fun). I hate climbing and i'm scared on the down hill, but this bike made me love those ascents and descents. On the hills i used a Reynolds 32mm and on the flats i use the Edge 50mm. Now i can keep up with the gang and never been dropped since. It absorbs the bumps with my Continental Gran Prix 4000s (25mm).

Favorite Ride:   San Gabriel River Trail, Glendora Mountain Road, Hwy 39 Crystal Lake

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Six, Cervelo S1, Look 566, Colnago CLX, Colnago E1

Bike Setup:   Campagnolo Record 11s group, Reynolds 32mm or Edge 50mm, Deda Presa Handlebar, Deda Zero Nero Stem, Selle Smp Dynamic saddle, Speedplay Zero pedals, Deda carbon look bar tape, Continental GP 4000 s 25 mm, Garmin 805

Submitted by Joe a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    Efficiency, looks, comfort, design, distinction, climbs like a billy goat, it won the TDF last year !

Weaknesses:    You have to write a big check to own one. People will hate you when they have to try to keep up with you.

Bottom Line:
I now know what people mean when they say "this is a fast bike". This bike is truly just silly fast. It almost feels like you get 105% forward motion when you put in 100% effort. I am coming off a Carbon/Ultegra bike and this bike just feels better in every regard. It also looks fantastic. I absolutely love this bike. I do not like getting off of it! Just rode the Trek 100 (mi) ride on it and can vouch for it's all day comfort. 5 hours in the saddle and it never got old. It almost feels like cheating!

Favorite Ride:   Holy Hill

Bike Setup:   Force, EC90 Aero wheelset, EA90 stem and bars. Sell Italia

Submitted by Dee a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff but comfortable, lite an fast.

Weaknesses:    Could have a taller head tube.

Bottom Line:
I looked at a Trek Madone 5.2 and Cannondale SuperSix Evo. Was going to pull the trigger on the Trek and ran into very great deal on the 2011 BMC Team Machine. I went with the Team Machine because the reviews was more favorable. With my current setup the bike weights 15.7 pounds. It excellerates great, corners beautifully without the need to force it into a turn. It climb well (only hit a few small rollers so far). Based on the BMC website I thought geometry would have a taller head tube, but it has the geometry of straight up racer. I will have to adjust the stem to make it more comfortable for me. Most of all the bike comfortable to the max and absorbs the road good, but not better than the Madone 5.2. The real reason I purchase the bike was because it was SEXY.

Favorite Ride:   Bike path from Marina Del Rey to Palos Verde

Purchased At:   CompetitiveCyclist.C

Similar Products Used:   Coppi Aluminum with carbon fork.

Bike Setup:   SRAM Force, Mavic Kryrium Elite Wheelset. Look Keo Max2 Pedals, Prologo Sratch Pro Saddle with Nack Rails.

Colnago cx-1 vs BMC Team Machine SLR01??

Hi new to the forum so I hope i'm in the right place. I have been an avid cyclist for most of my life but have got into the road bikes quite seriously since 2009. My initial purchase was a colnago arte with a 105 running gear. I love the bike, the way it rides etc and even dont mind the lit ... Read More »

Anyone running a non BB30 crankset on 2011 Team Machine SLR01?

Im thinking about changing over from SRAM Force to the Shimano Dura Ace 7900 group on my SLR01 and using the Praxis Works Conversion Bottom Bracket. Anyone using this BB30 Bottom bracket converter? Anyone using a non BB30 crankset on a 2011 SLR01? Any problems? Thanks!Read More »

Need a picture of Team Machine SLR01 Size 50

Hi' I would appriciate if someone riding a Team Machine SLR01 size 50 can post a picture. I would really like to see it in reality. Thanks Today if possible:-)Read More »

BMC Team Machine SLR01 or Cervelo R3?

I'm thinking about replacing my Look 585 with either the Team Machine SLR 01 or Cervelo R3. I'm wondering if either the BMC or Cervelo will be a significant improvement over my Look 585 and worth the upgrade? Lots of hills in my area, so I'm looking for a bike that is a capable climber and descender ... Read More »

Team Machine SLR01 vs Race Machine RM01

Greetings, Can anyone speak to what you get for the extra $1000 when you opt for the Team Machine? Aside from 140 less grams what else am I getting for the extra grand. Right now I'm tempted to put the money towards a good set of wheels. thoughts? MRead More »