Bottecchia Bottecchia Sprint BZ 78 Team Road Bike

SADDLE
BOTTECCHIA

Submitted by djnewelly a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2011

Strengths:    lightweight
unique weight distribution for specialized uses
sprinting (obviously)
ultegras
xrp rims and stock tires have had ZERO flats... i approve!
commuting bc of the decent shock absorption but if you really want smooth get a bianchi

Weaknesses:    turning sharply on mountain downhills
weird weight distribution
not the most versatile
grip came loose

Bottom Line:
you know i gotta be honest, i might be a little biased but some of you might understand. I tend to, naturally, root for the underdog..or..smaller companies. with that said, i have ridden most of the high end common brands and decided that i prefer bottecchias over all except Bianchi. there's just something about the smoothness and speed. not quite as fast as my bottecchia though on straights.

Favorite Ride:   downtown portland or skyline/germantown/zoobomb

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   oh lord, i could write a laundry list but i've tried 'em allllll : D

Bike Setup:   stock but with a hi-vis anklet to keep pants out of chain : )

Submitted by deaconmark1 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    Great buy for the money a full carbon frame for $1000 and ultegra fr and rear derailers. Good solid ride cannot find this similar in this price range.

Weaknesses:    The wheels are heavy but they have been true and well built. I am 6'2 weight 178 and they have done ok just wish they were lighter.

Bottom Line:
This is a 2009 Bottecchia FC662. Out of the box it was fine got it from e bay. Now that I have road it about 1800 miles I did upgrade the to Ultegra Brakes the Cane Creek scr 3 were ok but I did not like the response of the rear and cane creek sent me a new one after I complained. Bike is stable and pretty light at 20.2 pds in my 61 frame with 2 water cages and pedals. Lighter wheels would help but these Vuelta's are strong. Looks great and I am happy

Favorite Ride:   nice 40 miles in the county

Purchased At:   e bay

Similar Products Used:   mercier and schwinn traveler

Bike Setup:   50/34 compact crank. Swapped cassette to 11-23 from a 12-25. Now have Tri Comp tires.

Submitted by smikep a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2008

Strengths:    Good value for the price. Needs upgrades for fit. Finish on the frame/fork is superb. Shifting was flawless out of the box. I would recommend this bike to anyone wanting to not spend big $$ on a new bike. Get questions from other riders after I pass them. Ha! This bike looks good and is a fun ride. Got this to quite smoking and it worked ! That's the best stength of all.

Weaknesses:    Cane Creek brakes are bad. Vuelta wheels are mediocre at best. The seat hurts and the seatpost, stem and bars are boat anchors. Upgrades make a huge difference with this bike. No problems with the cranks but, first hint and it will be Dura Ace to the rescue.

Bottom Line:
I'm 6' and 176 lb and got the 58 cm 2008 Bottecchia Team carbon. The bike is Dura Ace 7800 with bad brakes and FSA carbon crankset.I upgraded the brakes to DA with a huge improvement. got a new seatpost,seat,tires,stem and bars. The bike handles, climbs and descends well. Next improvement is Mavic wheels. Not sure yet about the cranks. The bike is fun, tight and fast. Not bad at 16.5 lb with Time carbon pedals. I can switch to a different frame and fork next year.

Favorite Ride:   The Rose Bowl

Purchased At:   Huston, Texas

Similar Products Used:   Last bike was a Serotta Colorado with Mavic wheels and full Campy Record. I miss the Campy stuff but honestly the Dura Ace is flawless.

Bike Setup:   58 cm frame with the stock carbon fork with alloy tube. Time carbon pedals, Easton carbon seat tube, Fizik carbon seat. Deda stem and bars. Dura Ace brakes. Mavic Ksyerium ES wheels. Handles like a dream and goes like the wind. Can always switch to a new frame and fork later. I actually like this bike alot!

Submitted by borre13 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2008

Strengths:    Looks cool, get the full dura-ace, solid carbon-frame, medium weight

Weaknesses:    seatpost, headset/stem, wheels...

Bottom Line:
I decided to get this bike instead of getting a used better brand for the same price (carbon frame) I figure the full dura-ace and crank probably comes close to the price anyway...I have around 3000 miles on it already and I honestly couldn't complain. Of course I had to get better tires, and I would definetley change stem, seatpost, and probably handlebars. The wheels aren't good either, but I ride in and out of downtown Los Angeles, these wheels are tough, heavy but tough...I recomend it for the budget conscious...

Favorite Ride:   Any away from cars...

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R700 Double Caad5 (Ultegra), Giant TCR (For about a month) and older Schwin Steel...

Bike Setup:   Bottecchia Sprint CF78, Carbon Frame, Full Dura-Ace, Crane Creek calipers, FSA Carbon Crank...Crapy Vuelta XPR Wheels, headset and handlebars...

Submitted by bluestar1968 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2008

Strengths:    Weight - 16.5lbs w/upgraded wheels, price, Dura Ace of course.

Weaknesses:    Cheap stem, seat, handlebars, and seatpost.

Bottom Line:
I'm pretty happy with my new Bottechia. The frame is very well made and the bike is very light. I decided to get it with Ritchey WCS Protocol wheels after reading some bad reviews on the Vuelta XRP Pro. The Ritchey wheels are much lighter at only 1500g. The drivetrain is all dura ace with an FSA carbon crank. I paid $45 at my LBS to get the cables trimmed and tune up the shifting. Now Shifting is incredible and the bike handles great.

Favorite Ride:   Bottecchia Sprint BZ78