Calfee Design Dragonfly Pro Road Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

Our lightest and most technically advanced frame. Although it weighs only 2 pounds in a 54cm size, they are plenty stiff. 25 year warranty. We weight all our frames according to accepted industry standards: with no finish or paint, without the seat binder and bolt, no water bottle hardware, and with 1" head tubes. - High tech Boron/Carbon fiber Hybrid tubing. - High modulus Carbon fiber pressure molded lugs - Extra profiled Titanium dropouts

Submitted by hedonisticbikerboy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2005

Strengths:    Low weight, quiet. Traditional appearance using lugged construction reminiscent of the steel bikes of the past.

Weaknesses:    Price.

Bottom Line:
This review is on a 2005 Dragonfly Pro frame. Compared to my former Litespeed Classic this frame one pound lighter, rides quieter, and is considerably stiffer. I find I am able to ride farther without the usual fatigue. Workmanship is rated an "A minus" as there are some flaws in the finish of the raw carbon fiber. Overall a good purchase. I think I will be a satisfied Calfee owner for some time to come. Weight of the entire bike is 15.5 lbs.

Favorite Ride:   Mid September downhill

Purchased At:   Hub Bub Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Classic, Schwinn Paramount, Cannondale.

Bike Setup:   Neutron wheels, Campy Record drive train and shifting. Chris King HS, Phil Wood BB, Deda HB & stem. Fizik & USE seat and post. Frog ti pedals. Zero Gravity brakes.

Submitted by flythebike a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2004

Strengths:    light, stiff, comfortable, fast, looks beautiful

Weaknesses:    pricey new although I got a steel of a deal on eBay for mine, so for me a $4K bike w record and zipps that equals a five value. If I paid 7-8K I'd still probably rate it 5s.

Bottom Line:
Extremely light, stiff, and fairly comfortable bike. Tracks straight, but offers great handling (esp. when paired with an Alpha Q fork). Ride is like butter, very very smooth. Extremely rigid frame as far as resisting flex goes. Effortless to ride at very high speed. Much higher comfort level than my previous bike a ti/carbon stays bike.

Favorite Ride:   commute

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Look KG series from mid 90s, this bike reminds me of that but is much lighter and more comfortable

Bike Setup:   Campy Record Ultra 10 Speed. Zipp 202 wheels. Fizik Arionne. Alpha Q fork. Phil Wood Ti BB, Chris King headset. ITM Millenium (round) Bar, Oval Concepts Stem, Zipp brake pads, Coombe pedals, Wipperman Chain (broke once). Rav-x cages

FS: Calfee Dragonfly Pro Carbon/Boron Frameset

I purchased a classified, but just wanted to get the word out. [url]http://shorterlink.com/?Z8TAM3[/url] Thanks for looking, PM me with questions. ChrisRead More »