Cannondale CAAD10 Road Bike

4.66/5 (29 Reviews)

Performance to the Power of X. The new CAAD10 is the world's most advanced aluminum road frame. At just 1150 grams for a 56 cm frame, the CAAD10 is lighter, stiffer and smoother than most of our competitors' elite carbon frames. 1)SUPERLIGHT CAAD10 FORK. Housed in our externally machined, tapered head tube, the 390 gram, 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" tapered carbon steerer fork features offset dropouts, allowing more fork angle for vertical compliance without affecting the razor-sharp handling. 2) SAVE REAR STAYS: Comfort meets acceleration. Rear stays are shaped and butted to allow them to flex vertically but stay extremely stiff laterally. Wide seat stay spacing at top tube junction also improves lateral stiffness. 3) OPTIMIZED TOP TUBE For maximum torsional rigidity, the massive, horizontally ovalized top tube measures a huge 47.5x42 mm where it meets the head tube, narrows through the middle for knee clearance, then widens again to meet the seat stays.

Submitted by dave

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2014

Strengths:    I liked this bike from the second I tried it. Best feature: brilliant cornering. I don't really have the power to
get any advantage from the frame stiffness, but it corners like it's on rails. Rides no hands very nicely.
The bar tape sucked and so did the saddle. Have your bikeshop show you how to take apart the bottom bracket and clean it; you will be doing that alot.

All in all, the best thing I have ever bought. I really enjoy it and am very proud of it.

Weaknesses:    few. It sucked when I read the warranty: Cannondale will not stand behind fatigue failure yet boasts about all the fatigue testing they have done. Poor show.

Bottom Line:
good bike, great price.

Submitted by Andrew a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2014

Strengths:    Frame stiffness, full SRAM Force spec, overall weight

Weaknesses:    Stock saddle, no stock carbon seat post, stock cables & housing, paint scheme (subjective)

Bottom Line:
PROS: The frame has extremely efficient power transfer and is remarkably light for any racing frame, let alone aluminum. the 2013 CAAD 10 2 comes with a full SRAM Force spec which, in my opinion, is the best road groupset when taking into account price and performance. The bike stock is extremely light for the price (around 16 lbs w/o pedals)

CONS: The stock Prologo saddle did not work well with me. It would have been a nice and inexpensive touch for Cannondale to include a carbon seatpost, especially because the bike is aluminum. The stock cables and housing are pretty awful and have a lot of friction. I also did not really like either of the paint schemes, but that is more of a subjective opinion than a fact. Also, compared to my previous carbon bike the ride quality is noticeably rougher, but that is just an inherent property of aluminum.

OVERALL: The CAAD 10 is an excellent bike for a performance-conscious enthusiast, all the way up to a mid level racer. Around this 2000-3000 price point, it is impossible to find a carbon bike that will outperform this frame in any way besides ride quality.

Similar Products Used:   GT GTR Carbon Elite, Trek Domane 4.5

Bike Setup:   Kontact saddle, Bontrager RXL tubeless w/R3 tubeless tires. Otherwise stock

Submitted by Whizzer283 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2013

Strengths:    The CAAD 10 5 is my first road bike and I'm very happy with my purchase. It was an upgrade from a mountain/hybrid bike that I used for 25-40 mi weekend rides. Now I do 50-75 mi weekend rides, and a lot more comfortably. At first with the handlebars at max height the bike isn't very aggressive, but as you grow more comfortable with the posture you can lower them and the bike grows more aggressive.

Maybe the best feature is that I have no envy of the much pricier bikes that I see on the road. Zero buyer's remorse.

Weaknesses:    Despite the freakish man crush I have for this ride, I can discern a number of weaknesses.
1. Pro Logo Evo saddle - Uncomfortable - Remedied with Specialized Romin Comp
2. Schwalbe Lugano 700x23 tires - Harsh ride, slow ride - Remedied with Continental Grand Prix 4 Season, 700x25
3. Tektro 560 - Mediocre braking performance - Remedied with Shimano 105
*4. BB30 Bottom Bracket / FSA Gossamer Crankset - Creaky bottom bracket - Remedied with C- Bear Shim and Shimano 105 Crankset.

*I never had a bottom bracket problem until I replaced** my CAAD 10 frame with a substitute CAAD 10 frame purchased used on eBay. The original factory assembled bike had no issue.

**I had to replace the frame after t-boning a car at relatively low speed. Neither I nor the wheel suffered any injuries, but for the frame it was catastrophic.

Bottom Line:
Great first road bike. Great for long rides. Why buy an entry level carbon frame when you can have the top-of-the-line aluminum frame?

Favorite Ride:   Brooklyn - Nyack

Purchased At:   Paragon Sports - NYC

Bike Setup:   Group Set - All Shimano 105 with C-Bear BB30 ceramic bearing shim.
Saddle - Specialized Romin Comp
Tires - Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons 700x25
Pedals - Time Xpresso 4

Submitted by MikeP a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2013

Strengths:    Handling, value for money, power transfer and fun to ride above all else

Weaknesses:    To get the best out of the frame, a few upgrades are required from the 105 spec -tyres first, wheels second and a stiffer stem if you are strong/heavier and stand up climbing a lot.

Bottom Line:
Having had two Caad8s and been please with them, I decided to see what all the fuss was about regarding the 10. Bought a 105 spec with the intention of being my summer ride, while my caad8 became my winter training hack. The problem now is that I ONLY want to ride the Caad10 and even with the thought of selling both for a Supersix Evo, I ended up keeping the '10 and putting some decent wheels on it. I don't race but 50-70 miles are my normal ride routine and I couldn't face selling the Caad10 with the risk of missing everything it does so well. So all the reviews from owners are correct and confirmed to me why I bought it in the first place, why I should keep it and that I should just enjoy it and keep getting fitter.....

Favorite Ride:   Merlin Sportive

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Pedalworks Dunstable

Similar Products Used:   Caad8 105, caad8 2300, trek 2.1, Wilier Motirolo

Bike Setup:   Fizik Arione saddle and carbon post, Thomson stem, SRAM Red crankset, fulcrum 5 with Michelin Pro4/latex tubes, shortly upgrading to Bontrager RXL wheel set and tubeless R3 25mm tyres.

Submitted by isaacxchavez

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2013

Strengths:    The excellent frame, the frame is very light weight and extremely stiff.

Weaknesses:    There is none that i have found.

Bottom Line:
It's so much better than my previous madone 4.5 my final choices were this bike and a Scott, I heard that scotts are very stuff, but they aren't they fell like frame made of rubber, awful power transfer, this is by far the best bike that I have owned.

Sell Me on a CAAD10

All you Cult of CAAD10 members,sell me on one. I've heard a lot of people say they're better than a lot of other carbons. Tell me why. Lighter stronger what? I'm really interested in a new Synapse but some of the prices on 13 10's is hard to resist.Read More »

New 2011 Cannondale CAAD10 105: What should i pay?

Hello everyone, first time poster. Been lurking around for a while gathering advice on what to buy for my first road bike. Anyway, I found a new 2011 CAAD10 with 105 components languishing at my LBS, and it was actually my size. Rode it. Liked it. SRP was $1500, they said they could go down to $ ... Read More »

Headset size for CAAD10

I'm looking to get a headset for my 2013 CAAD10, and I'm confused about the sizing. I know it's integrated, but on the Cannondale site it states that the lower bearing is 1-1/4" and upper bearing is 1-1/8". Does this mean that I need to find a specific headset that works on a tapered headtube or I c ... Read More »

Need help making a final decision. 2013 CAAD10 5 vs. 2013 Felt F5 vs. 2012 Felt F5

All priced at $1400 new. Which one would you pick and why? [B]-2013 Felt F5. Carbon / SRAM Apex components[/B] [URL="http://www.feltbicycles.com/USA/2013/Road/F-Series-Road-Bike/F5.aspx"]F5 - Felt Bicycles[/URL] [B]-2013 Cannondale CAAD10 5. Aluminum / 105 components[/B] [URL="http://www.cannon ... Read More »

CAAD10 vs SuperSix

Hey everyone, first time poster here. I'm in the market for a new bike and have a couple questions. First, I have a bike choice dilemma. I was pretty sold on the CAAD 10 5. However, my LBS has a 2012 SuperSix 105 for $1750. Is the $200 jump up from the 2013 CAAD 10 5 worth it? I've read all ov ... Read More »