Cannondale CAAD8 Optimo 1 Road Bike

• Shifters: Shimano 105
  • Stem: Cannondale C4

Submitted by Steve Harper a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2012

Strengths:    Light, stiff, stable, beautifully balanced. Not flashy, just fast – and not expensive for this level of quality

Weaknesses:    People on carbon frames will look down their noses - let them

Bottom Line:
I’ve been moved to write a review because I’ve loved this bike ever since I got it. I’ve ridden numerous sportives in the Alps, Dolomites and Pyrenees… I’ve even taken it round the Tour of Flanders, across the cobbles, twice (so the ride’s not as harsh as some people say) – and it’s been incredible. But like all cyclists, I started to wonder if I shouldn’t upgrade. So I’ve been testing loads of carbon bikes; a Wilier, which tuned out to weigh a pound more and had a dead feeling in the ride, a Ribble Nero (actually quite nice but certainly not better), brand-x carbon from Taiwan (also turned out to be heavier) and several others, including a Trek Madone 5.9 – and I can honestly say, I wouldn’t swap for any of them.
My bike came with Ultegra – which has been flawless – Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheels (since upgraded to Felt Aeros), Fizik Arione saddle (perfect). The only think I might upgrade now are the forks and headset, which are not as light or as good as the ones on the CAAD10 – but even that’s more to satisfy the cyclist’s mania for upgrades not because it actually needs it.
This is a blindingly fast bike that out-climbs, out-accelerates and corners better than anything else I’ve tried and pretty much anything I’ve come across on the road. Got to be the cheapest way to experience that elite bike feeling. If I’m slow, it me, not the bike.

Favorite Ride:   CAAD8 Optimo

Purchased At:   Bike & Run, London,

Similar Products Used:   My winter bike is a CAAD2 105 road bike. Totally bullet-proof

Bike Setup:   Felt Aero wheels with ceramic bearings, Shimono Ultegra groupset - interchanging compact 50,34 chainset and 1-30 cassette in the hills and 54,42 11-25 for fast flat stuff

Submitted by Fro Low a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, light, corners great, and transfers all the power you put in.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm, can't really think of one. Ok, could use a new paint job.

Bottom Line:
This bike is quite amazing. Very stiff and strong. Gets up to speed very quickly and can hold it's own with today's CF bikes. Climbs flawlessly and is stable at 30+ mph. Bought this bike from an avid cycling co-worker and he couldn't have been more right about the bike and it's handling.

Favorite Ride:   Long Hauls and rolling hills

Purchased At:   Co-worker

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   54cm; Dura-Ace shifters; Ultegra brake, compact crank, chain, cassette, and rear derailure; 105 front derailure; cushy Bontreger seat, Mavic Krsyum Elites and a set of Pro Lite wheels; Conti Ultra Race tires; Cannondale Fire stem and bars; and LOOK pedals.

Submitted by brokenhead007 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2010

Strengths:    stiff, great geometry for the inseam challenged, very tough

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy, the original headset was the suckies.

Bottom Line:
I bought this 06 Cannondale Caad8 new in 06 and have yet to find a better frame. I used this bike religiously as a trainer and group rider for three years through rain and shine. It corners, accelerates and climbs better than any of the Bianchi, Trek, Specialized and Cinelli bikes I have owned. If I were a Crit racer it would never leave my butt. I even considered reconfiguring it for Triathlons or TT but the geometry just isn't there for that. I figure about 22K miles on this frame and I have no plans on letting it go.

Favorite Ride:   Fall, cool and breezy

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Tarmac and Allez, Bianchi Virata and 928 Carbon L, Trek 2000, Cinelli Estrada

Bike Setup:   The bike currently runs a Campy Chrous drivetrain and brakes, Campy Zonda rims on Conti Gatorskins, ISM saddle and Easton everything else.

Submitted by Red Wolf a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2009

Strengths:    responsive, durable, stable, just as fast as carbon, climbs well, stiff BB.

Weaknesses:    a little harsher ride than some Carbon frames, stock shimano 550 wheelset is a realatively heavy semi-aero set which is great for training and reliable but something you may want to upgrade eventually.

Bottom Line:
My first Road bike in a long time. Looked at Carbon frames but didn't have the money at the time. Tested this vs. a Synapse...could feel the flex in the frame of the Synapse when standing on the pedal and climbing, but not in the CAAD8. The Synapse was a smoother ride but felt mushy compared to the CAAD8. Like others have said it climbs really well and descends great too (I've been up to 46mph downhill with no concerns). Bike corners well too. I feel safe and fast. I can keep up with or beat most of the guys on high-end carbon frames. One other guy I met who has a CAAD8 said "the CAAD8 is all the frame you'll ever need but not all the frame you'll ever want". The CAAD8 may not be the coolest ride but its just as fast. Same geometry as the SuperSix and only about 3/4 of lb. heavier...or so I've been told.

Favorite Ride:   Any group ride of 50 or more

Purchased At:   Chainwheel (LBS)

Similar Products Used:   Old Schwinn LeTour...years ago...no comparison

Bike Setup:   2007 CAAD8 Optimo 1, stock Shimano WH-550 wheels, crank - upgraded from stock triple 105 to FSA SLK carbon compact crank, Look Keo pedals, upgraded to 7800 series Dura-Ace from 105 group, changed out saddle for a specialized. Next upgrade will be lighter more aero wheelset but the 550's are bombproof and adequate though heavy at 1854gms.

Submitted by Brian a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2009

Strengths:    Price,Power Transfer,Alluminum Frame,Every comp.on this Bike Is Ultegra right down to the chain links.

Weaknesses:    Havent Found One yet.

Bottom Line:
Sweet Bike,Full Ultegra Comp.Cannondale Are the Alluminum Frame Masters.Dont be fooled by the Higher Priced Carbon Bikes that claim a better ride.Thanks Cannondale!

Favorite Ride:   Road Rides/Trail Rides