Cannondale CAAD8 Road Bike

• Hubs: Formula RB-51/52, 32 hole
  • Spokes: Stainless Steel

Submitted by RedMG

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2012

Strengths:    Super handling. Great balance between comfort and speed. Very easy to get into the drops with a good riing position. I thought the package was good value for money.

Weaknesses:    Lugano tyres aren't the best and i've had a few punctures with them. Will likely upgrade them soon.

Bottom Line:
I have the 2012 CAAD 8 105. Tested it against the Giant Defy 1, Merida Race Lite 904, Cannondale Synapse & Trek 2.1. Could have lived with all these bikes except the Merida, which had a vey harsh ride. In the end it came down to the CAAD 8 & the Trek 2.1, which i found very similar, but settled on the Cannondale due to its sharp handling and great looks.

Had the bike a couple of months now, and really like it. It is really easy to ride at speed or with more ease. The build quality is impressive and the only gripe i have is with the Schwalbe Lugano tyres, which have punctured too easily so i'll likely change them soon. 105 shifting works well and no compliants with the FSA crankset.

This bike has got the balance right between speed and comfort and I really feel at around £1,000 its great value for money.

Submitted by Ray a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2012

Strengths:    Very Stiff and responsive.
Comfortable to ride.
Handles well for a build designed for comfort.
Embossed paint work rather than decals look fantastic.
Excellent climber and very stable at high speeds.

Weaknesses:    The FSA Gossamer crank set with the BB30 bracket became very croaky after about 500kms but was solved by re-servicing and re-tourqing the BB.
The 50/34 T Chain rings with the 12/28 rear cluster aren't a great combo. When dropping to the bottom chain ring I find myself having to drop into a harder gear too often. I think a 36 T bottom chain ring would have worked better.
The Tektro brakes are a little to spongy for my liking.
Came with 46cm Handle bar width which would be to wide for most riders.

Bottom Line:
I test rode a Giant Defy, Giant TCR, Malvern Star Oppy and the Cadd8 and found the Cadd8 to be the smoothest and most comfortable ride out of the 3. It descended beautifully and held lines well at speeds in excess of 70kmph.
The bike is very stiff and responsive and climbs hills effortlessly. The "SAVE" design chain and seat stays dampen a lot of vibration and shock from bad roads and I was still comfortable after 120kms on the bike. The over sized tubes look and feel great and add to the overall performance of the bike.

Favorite Ride:   Endurance, Mountain Climbing

Purchased At:   Lecister Cycles, Tas

Similar Products Used:   Giant Defy, Giant TCR, Malvern Star Oppy

Bike Setup:   105 Group set (front and rear derailleurs and shifters)
Aluminum Frame Optimized 6061
FSA Gossamer Crank set
BB30 Bottom Bracket
Carbon Ultra Forks
Maddux RS 3.0 wheel set with formula hubs

Submitted by Shelbi Hale a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2011

Strengths:    lightweight, fast, comfortable, stylish, great quality for price, great handling

Bottom Line:
This is my first road bike, so I can't give a comparative perspective... but I can tell you that this bike is extremely fun to ride, very comfortable (compared to other road bikes I tried out), and FAST! There are so many pros to this bike. I spent a long time making the decision to buy a decent road bike and it was worth every penny. I know it's not a super-high quality professional bike, but I have no complaints. I am 5'9", female, with a long torso, and ride a 54" mens. It's a dream to ride, so much fun.

Purchased At:   The Bike Rack, Ithac

Submitted by dyoung350 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2010

Strengths:    Looks great, Light, fast, great quality

Weaknesses:    components good but not race worthy.
a rather stiff ride

Bottom Line:
2010 model CAAD8 6...this is my first road bike in many years. My previous bike was a 1976 Schwinn continental so this was a major upgrade to the old technology. This bike is a full 20 pounds lighter than my old steel bike (weighing in at 20.5lbs) I know the Tiagra components are not race worthy, but for someone just entering the road bike world for fitness sake, it works just great. The biggest difference to me is the stiffness and lightness of the aluminum frame. Having some neck problems, I am a little sensitive to the vibrations. I should be riding a carbon frame but the money was just too much for now. I love the acceleration of this bike. I know there are lighter bikes available but for someone like me coming from an old heavy steel bike, it really moves when you start to really crank the pedals. One day I would like to upgrade to a softer ride, but only because of my neck issues.... I really love this bike! The build quality of Cannondale frames is fabulous.

Purchased At:   Pedal Play Bikes

Bike Setup:   stock setup - Tiagra/Sora components.
Added extender to bring handle bars a little higher. Platform pedals (for now)

2007 CAAD8 - issue with fork "noise"

hi people. new here and can use some help. i'm putting together a 2007 CAAD8 and have an issue with the fork. it comes with the original FSA headset, though i have no idea what model it is. i believe it's an integrated headset since there's no separate cups to press in. the cups are built into the ... Read More »

Upgrade frame from CAAD8-->10?

I am currently on a 2006 C-dale CAAD 8 Optimo 58cm. All components are upgraded and will be swapped over to the new frame. I have been getting the itch to upgrade the frame. My budget is about $800ish for a used frame. I like stiff bikes, Im 6'4" 200+lbs. My shape really gets along with C-dal ... Read More »

2012 caad8 5 105

Hey guys. I just wanted to hear some opinions on the 2012 CAAD8 5 105 road bike from Cannondale. I found some reviews, but not too many on this forums. I found a LBS selling it for $999(seems like a good deal). Looking for a bike less than $1100. What do you guys think? I'M fairly new and want a bi ... Read More »

CAAD8 7 or Synapse 7 for first roadbike?

I am on a $1000 budget. Currently riding a hybrid mountain bike for fitness but want to be able to ride long distances as well as go fast! These are the 2 bicycles within my price range: The Caad 8 7 or the Synapse 7. Differences? Caad8 7 Bottom Bracket: FSA BB30 Front Der ... Read More »

2013 Caad8

Hey everyone so I put an order in on the new CAAD8 7 Sora (white/red color scheme) got the bike for a good deal because I used to be the shops UPS driver. The question I have for you all is im not sure if I should spend the extra $200 and go for the CAAD8 5 105 instead (aluminum/red color scheme) an ... Read More »