Cannondale CAAD9 5 Road Bike

• Crank: Shimano 105, 39/53
  • Chain: KMC DX10SC

Submitted by tt00sf a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2011

Strengths:    Solid frame, so impressed. Rides as well as my friend's carbon frames. The value is unbeatable. I have the 105 group and it is like a camry, nothing to rave about but very reliable.

Weaknesses:    However, if you plan to ride more than 2000 miles a year, be prepared to upgrade:

-RS10 wheels are like a fast tank. solid but i think they are made of iron. stock tires are similar, reliable but not particularly grippy or fast.
-tektro brakes need lots more power on the downhill, think about a camry's brakes...will probably suffice for most in this bike's target segment.
-faux carbon seat post is a joke, functional, but c'mon. Think A+ frame.

Bottom Line:
Great bike overall. Cheap components allow for a great value for this A+ frame. I got back into cycling after 10 years away and ride about 50 miles a week on big climbs and fast descents. This bike gave me a nice platform to improve my skills with and upgrade the bike to match.

Purchased At:   Mike's Bikes

Bike Setup:   Replaced seat with Romin carbon
Replaced wheels with Krysium SL
Replaced tires with Conti 4000
Replaced seat post with FSA-K carbon
Next up to replace is brakes, and some of the 105 components.

Solid frame. I've not even thought about replacing the bike.

Submitted by Brandon a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    Handmade in USA - this is already a highly sought after frame. Light enough to fly up hills and steady enough to tear up descents! Prologo saddle is surprisingly nice for stock. The bike is screaming as far as looks go too!

Weaknesses:    Heavy RS-10 wheels. Gossamer crankset can be a little noisy and doesn't exactly have a sparkling reputation. Trash the stock tires. The Tektro brakes don't have much stopping power with the stock pads.

Bottom Line:
Unbeatable bike for the price. Actually forget the price - this bike is hard to beat period. The aesthetics of the CAAD9 frame blows the looks of the CAAD10 completely away in my opinion. The welds are filled seamlessly and at first glance, it looks like a composite frame. The wishbone shape of the stays provides a softer ride than any aluminum frame I've ridden but the frame is much stiffer with better pickup than any of my previous bikes. Having previously been on a full carbon setup, I feared the aluminum would be harsh, but I honestly don't feel any more road vibration with the CAAD aluminum. The bike climbs, corners and accelerates like nothing I've experienced - it gives you that "giddy little kid" feel when you throw your leg over and clip in. This is one that I'll have in my quiver for a long time to come! The frame is impressively light and has a proven race pedigree - though it came with 105, I'm thinking about turning this into a "weight weenie" project with Force or Red and some Rol wheels...oh the joys!

Favorite Ride:   Tour of the Unknown Coast

Purchased At:   GoRide Bicycles, Red

Similar Products Used:   2007 Felt F-75. 2006 Giant TCR C3.

Bike Setup:   105 group set, Tektro brakes, FSA Gossamer crankset, Shimano RS-10 wheels, Conti GP 4000s tires, Prologo saddle.

Submitted by kwyyyy a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2010

Strengths:    Frame, quality of bike for money spent

Weaknesses:    Wheels a little heavy, but they hold up very well

Bottom Line:
I have ridden and owned carbon bikes for the last 10 years, and decided to try this bike because of what I heard on the street and fellow roadie friends. I bought the bike stock with 105's. I switched out some components to get the ride I wanted - stem, handlebar, seatpost, saddle. The frame is really well made, it does not beat you up on long rides, the quality is great and it's true that it's just as comfortable as a carbon bike. The frame and components handle well in cornering, downhill, uphill, or paceline. The wheels will take a beating and keep going. 105's do well and the 2010 model is exceptional. This said, remember that DA is King but also keep in mind that it's the technique you use to handle the bike, not the actual equipment. I have had no problems with the brakes - they do what they are supposed to do. It's worth the money, if you don't like the components, just get the frame and build the bike up your specs.

Favorite Ride:   anything as long as it ain't raining

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Trek Madone, Felt, Fuji

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by weisse521 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2010

Strengths:    It's the frame. PERIOD

Weaknesses:    The brakes are crap to the point of being scary on some of the steep roads in Utah.

Bottom Line:
Decided to buy another Cannondale while I could still get one made in America. I have ridden Cannondale's since at least the early 80's. From the touring models to the mountain bikes.
For a big guy, they have a lot to offer. I have several Landshark steel frames and just wanted a "beater" to ride in bad weather. This frame is better than any other ALU frame I have ever ridden, and almost as comfortable as my high-end steel frames.
I bought this bike manly for the frame. The CAAD9 has a long history of racing and worth upgrading.

Favorite Ride:   Riding the valley and mountain roads

Purchased At:   Guthrie

Similar Products Used:   Klein, Cannondale, Trek, Landshark, Univega

Bike Setup:   Stock, well except for a new Turbomatic Team saddle, and Thomspn Elite seatpost, Cateye wireless computer, and I am shopping for new brakes now.

Submitted by 10beers a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2010

Strengths:    Everything.

Weaknesses:    Grip tape came loose during first few months of riding. Squeaks when really dirt (my own fault as I ride hard and put away dirty).

Bottom Line:
Actually is a 2009. I freaking love it. Rides great compared to my last bike a Trek 1000C comfort/road bike. I compared it with Trek 2.1/ 2.3, Specialized Allez elite,and KHS Flite. Closest in comparison was KHS Flite which was a very nice bike would have bought it except I didn't like how my leg rubbed the metal brake cable piece from end of housing to the actual brake.
Very comfortable ride. Decent on rough pavement and gravel. Many will say this thing carves, but I was unable to take a swooping 90 degree turn at 20Mph, but oh well Im fat. I've had minor issues with cable tension, and some rattle/ rubbing issues. Nothing a little derailer adjustment and a good cleaning could't fix.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in German Countryside.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Heaven San A