Cannondale R1000 Road Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Hutchinson Reflex

Submitted by Mr. Versatile

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2017

Strengths:    Looks great, handles well, relatively inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Extremely harsh ride even with larger tires.

Bottom Line:
I love the way this bike looks. The paint, the fat tubes, the style are, IMO great. It also handles quite well & is confidence inspiring in tight corners & descents. Unfortunately the ride is terrible. The bike rides like a thinly upholstered brick on metal roller skate wheels. Every irregularity in the road surface is felt not only through the bars, but also the seat. There's a lot of talk about the desirability of stiffness, but this bike is too stiff. I just sold this bike after having owned it for a number of years. When I rode it I always got saddle sores & numb hands. I'm 6'4" & 200 # & I could not make this bike flex. At all. Starting from a stop the frame is so stiff that it feels dead. It's like stepping on a rock. The price is good & it looks great, but I'd never buy this bike again.

Submitted by Jim Park

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2013

Strengths:    Strong seamless Frame, excellent components; great ride!

Weaknesses:    Hutchinson tires, rims, shifters.

Bottom Line:
I love my R1000! The frame is the heart of any bike, you can upgrade anything on a frame but the only way to upgrade a frame is, obviously, to get a new one! Cannondale welds some of the best frames on the market, take it from an ex bicycle mechanic/salesman. They are seamlessly welded and each one is built by hand. My older Dale had the stamp of the builder and if you see this one in person, you will see the loving care and American craftsmanship put into bringing these tubes together. Before anyone, including Trek, got into Aluminum, Cannondale was revolutionizing the industry!! The components on mine, including the front derailleur, are all Ultegra Flight Deck components! All this bike needs to bring it up to date are the new Shimano Ultegra shifters, to clean up the front end, and some lighter wheels to really experience the responsiveness of this frame! I love mine and will keep it as long as it lasts, which I think will be longer than I am around.

Submitted by Ex-Wife

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2012

Strengths:    Great Condition!

Weaknesses:    60cm frame

Bottom Line:
I have a 2004 Cannondale R1000 in excellent condition for sale. My ex loved this bike. I'd keep it, but I don't ride. I'm only asking $800 and it doesn't have much mileage on it at all. It was my ex-husbands. I have pics available to anyone interested. I'm in the Sacramento, California area 916-705-1768 text msgs preferred.

Submitted by andy

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2012

Strengths:    speed, components (ultegra), nimble

Weaknesses:    paint seems fragile but no rust under, saddle had to be switched out, stiffness (but that's what makes her fast too!)

Bottom Line:
My friends and I have nicknamed my R1000 "The Rocket". I love it. She's red with yellow lettering and sometimes I lust after her! :) I (stupidly) sold it and got out of road biking for a year. But I pleaded with the buyer 1 year later to resell it to me, thankfully he did! I've had her for 11 of 12 years and will NEVER get rid of her again. I swapped out the handlebars for some that were a little wider (I'm 6 foot 200#). I can't imagine riding another road bike.

Submitted by Mark Brantley

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2012

Strengths:    Stiff and reliable. The Ultegra group has never let me down. This bike has over 25k miles on it, I picked it up new from the Cannondale plant in Bedford PA. I am 6' 1", 220 lbs and it has never let me down.

Bottom Line:
solid workmanship from the US.