Cannondale R600 Triple Road Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Continental Ultra 3000

Submitted by orangefrog529 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2005

Strengths:    Solid performer. Hammer and the wheels fly out from under you.

Weaknesses:    Hit the frame the right way and it bends. It's only aluminum, though.

Bottom Line:
My first serious road bike. Only two years but many miles. After 2500+ miles the frame needed replacing, as my brother wiped out with it on frost heave laden downhill. Ride is fairly plush with OEM Conti's, but I switched them out for a less flat prone pair of Michelin's.

A little pricy for the component spec, but the frame fits sooooooo well. Corners like a dream. Isn't that all that matters?

I don't understand how one can complain about Cannondale's service. I received my r600, on special order, within 7 days of order. Upon having to reorder (and upgrade) the frame, my lbs received the frame again within a week. Additionally, Cannondale routinely sponsor's collegiate teams and their broke riders. How could one rag on Cannondale???

Favorite Ride:   Lake Cayuga

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez, Trek 1500, Giant OCR, Merlin, Cannondale R700

Bike Setup:   Stock except for tires - upgraded to Michelin Axial pro's.

Submitted by now_walking a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2005

Strengths:    I liked it until I needed customer service.

Weaknesses:    Cannondale. Crap service. And the paint.

Bottom Line:
CANNONDALE - why buy one? DO NOT BUY A CANNONDALE if you want anything resembling service.

If you would be offended when you ring a company to find out why after 8 weeks there is still no sign of your bike and they refuse to find out and hang up the phone on you, then DO NOT BUY A CANNONDALE. If you ring them back after being hung up on and expect some kind of appology, DO NOT BUY A CANNONDALE.

Please re-consider buying a Cannondale if you are looking to buy one. There are a lot of good manufacturers out there, you don't need this sort of headache and you do not need the offensiveness. There are better bikes and there is MUCH better service. Once you hand over your money, YOU WILL BE RELYING ON THE SERVICE OF THAT COMPANY - things do go wrong. Something is wrong with my bike, fair enough, but something is VERY wrong at Cannondale.

I would NEVER buy a Cannondale or (gasp) recommend a Cannondale. A company is based on customer service. CANNONDALE obviously has no base. Glossy ads unfortunately do not reflect the company's attitude towards its customers. DO NOT BUY A CANNONDALE. No, I am not just feeling bitter. I have subjectively sat down and looked at the situation... DO NOT BUY A CANNONDALE. EVER. Thank you to forums, I wish I had known this before buying.

Favorite Ride:   anywhere

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   locally

Similar Products Used:   A variety of steel and Al road bikes.

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by aggiesjc a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2005

Strengths:    Quick and light, yet strong. Ultegra RD. Flashy blue-and-white paintjob.

Weaknesses:    Stock saddle/seat isn't comfortable - will probably change it soon. Chain got hung up while shifting on a hilly ride recently - could have been my fault, but I may upgrade from the stock Tiagra FD.

Bottom Line:
What a great bike! Not only is it very pretty (I've gotten lots of compliments on it from other riders), but it performs like a champ. This is my first nice bike, and it's everything I hoped it would be - light, responsive, strong, quick. I'm putting about 35 miles per week on it right now, and have taken it on two 20-mile charity/fun rides so far. Mine is a 50 cm frame. I wanted a bike with a traditional top tube, not a sloping tube, and this bike has it.

Favorite Ride:   anything relatively flat

Purchased At:   Van's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Test rode Trek 1500.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra RD, Tiagra FD, 105 shifters, TruVativ crank, Fizik seat,

Submitted by overworkin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2004

Strengths:    Carbon fork, light frame, Gippiemme T3 wheelset.

Weaknesses:    Tiagra FD, brake pads, maybe seat. These are all cheap upgrades anyway.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding a Scott Boulder MTB for 11 years. Just bought the R600 this weekend at an end of season sale, fantastic deal!! Like other reviewers I will be updrading the FD probably to Ultergra. The weather up here is getting cooler, so I havn't put many miles on her yet. Haven't desided about the seat yet, I will most likely uprade it. I really enjoy the feel of the ride, it is smooth and responsive. Climbing is worlds better than my MTB. Accel'g is quick. Overall an excellant bike for the money.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   end of season bike s

Similar Products Used:   Tested Giant OCR1, Trek 1500, DiVinci Podium vert nice bike but expensive for Veloce gruppo bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except dealer replaced to Easton stem and wider/better Cinelli bar during fitting. It came with an Ultegra RD, Fi'z:k Poggio seat. Added Shimano SPD pedals, Cateye Astrale8 computer, allows me to use it on a trainer.

Submitted by luther_cyclist a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2004

Strengths:    SUPER stiff frame
good front fork (carbon fiber)
PRICE
105 shifters

Weaknesses:    the front de-railer sucks
the rims are fairly heavy
i didnt like the stock saddle at all

Bottom Line:
Right now this is the bike for me. I am a serious rider on a budget (college aint free) I really like the frame on this bike, it is ROCK SOLID. Super stiff for when you are really killin the pedals. Handels great at speed, it is a little unstable when at slow speeds but rock solid when at speed. Bike would be a 5 if it werent for the front derailer and the rims (they are just too heavy).

Favorite Ride:   anything full of hills

Purchased At:   barr bike and fitnes

Bike Setup:   all parts stock except...
selle italia slr saddle
profile design century aero bars
cateye enduro 8
shimano spd pedals
and for vanity i put on the hutchinson team saeco tires
(i am going to upgrade the seat post, the brakes, and the front derailer, and some where down the road the rim set needs to be lightened up)

1997 Cannondale R600 vs 2008 Giant OCR 3 vs 2000 Specialized Allez A1 Triple

Hi - I am looking for a good used bike around $450 bucks to do my first triathlon. I have found some great deals that disappear fast. Currently I am looking at: 1997 Cannondale R600 with ultegra rear derailleur, ironman aero bars 2008 Giant OCR 3 stock 2000 Specialized Allez A1 Triple stock ... Read More »

Swapping a 105 Triple 4 a Compact R600 or R700

Trying to go from a triple to a compact. The bike is a NOS 2007 Portland, bought a week ago w/ the OEM Shimano 105 Triple FC-5603 crank & a FD-5603 front Derailleur. 1) Would I need to change anything other than the front derailleur if I go over to a Shimano R600 or R700? 2) By sticking w/ a S ... Read More »

Upgrading a 98 Cannondale R600 from Double to Triple. HELP?

Ok, so I'm not a master mechanic otherwise I'd have this answer on the tip of my tongue already... Basically my brother has a Cannondale R600 and he's about to move to Missoula, Mt. So... as a result.. He's in need of upgrading almost his entire drivetrain. What I was hoping is that someone could ... Read More »