Cannondale R600 Road Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Continental Ultra 3000

Submitted by Keith Weber a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2014

Strengths:    As reported ... Good looking, stiff and durable frame.

Weaknesses:    Wheels - I broke a lot of spokes early on, so I had them respoked (Cannondale paid for this). Then I cracked a rim, so I had them replaced with newer, upscale Mavics, which have been great.
Saddle - Original was not great. Replaced it with a Selle Italia that is great.

Bottom Line:
WOW - I didn't even know this post existed. I've been riding my R600 for 13 years. I've lowered the bars and have switched out the wheels and the saddle but, other than those items, have had no reason to change a thing. I recently (2014) rode a new carbon Supersix Evo and, to be honest, didn't feel enough of a difference to warrant buying it. I want to ride a new Synapse. Perhaps I'll be back with an update.

Submitted by Matt a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2012

Strengths:    Durability, stiff frame, smooth ride and quite responsive after 10,000 + miles

Weaknesses:    bottom bracket is weak for a fat guy, I'm 5'10" and 210" but still like to fly.

Bottom Line:
I have ridden the hell out of this bike, granted I made a few additions from stock over the years [wheels, tires, bars and crank]and I still come back to the dame thought, I love this bike. Occassionally, I consider a new bike but really I love the one I got.

Bike Setup:   105 shifters, ultegra rear, FSA carbon crank, rival brakes, mavic race wheels, conti 4000S tires, and easton ec90 bar.

Submitted by michael a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2009

Strengths:    - the frame's finish and durability is unparalleled even in newer bikes I've ridden, with my $500 in upgrades i wouldn't trade it for a new trek and it rides better than a freind's 2003 r500 triple

Weaknesses:    - stock wheels are mavic cxp10, 105 shifters and derailers are meh, the seatpost and stock seat are pathetic

Bottom Line:
Great frame, not much else. Stiff, fast ride. Steering is responsive but doesn't handle great at the limits

Favorite Ride:   r600

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   trek 1000sl, cannondale r500 2003

Bike Setup:   bontrager racelite wheelset, bontrager carbon post, bontrager racelite seat. synapse bullhorn antlers, look pedals

Submitted by Stuart Lodge a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2007

Strengths:    - Frameset of superlative quality & looks.
- Paintjob simply fantastic and durable.
- Responsive and a nice ride.
- Proven reliable over 12 years.

Weaknesses:    - Frame : Fork combination not ideal, making the C'dale 600 understeer.
- Steep rear triangle gives a boneshaker ride over the rough stuff - modern C'dales are much better.
- Steering head is very basic and (probably..) very heavy; bike steers OK though.
- Shimano 105/RX-100 combo is a real 'bitsa'...but very hardwearing & reliable.
- Saddle and minor finish items at the cheap end of nasty..

Bottom Line:
WANTED - Fast road bike, class aluminium frameset, designer good looks..
Cannondale 600 ticked the boxes, delicious alloy frame, carbon fibre forks, a paintjob to die for...Ultraviolet and black. Shimano groupset - a mix of 105 & RX-100 - seriously unflash, but proven very, very reliable over the last 12 years. Wheels very basic on the stock bike, but upgraded to Rigida Constrictors in 2001, which made a difference.
From delivery, the 600 has been use for a mixture of commuting and recreational rides, rain or shine. Wear and tear has been minimal - tyres, brake blocks, chain mainly - with the original wheel spindles running out of adjustment in 2001.
Handling is crisp and responsive, the upright rear triangle paired with carbon forks with a lot of rake & trail, giving a hard ride on the one hand (bum..) and understeering tendencies on the other. This was never more apparent - or potentially lethal.. - than on the penultimate Sunday in July 2000, the magic carpet ride of l'Arrivee du Tour...the randonnee comprising the last stage of the Tour de France! Peeling off at speed off rue de Rivoli into Place de la Concorde, stumbling onto the pave and adverse camber of the right hand curve, the front wheel went for a walk, whilst I was trying to overtake a dozen similar nutters up the inside! Got away with it and was able to indulge l'Avenue des Champs Elysees, at my pleasure!
Summed up, a class product that lacks a few frills and wasn't quite bespoke when it left the shop. However, 12 years down the track we still have fun and remains a personal favourite for commuting and chilling out in the lanes.
The 600 does nothing really badly - but the modern derivatives with 'hourglass' rear triangles are a much smoother ride when the blacktop gives way to cobbles. My 1995 version would be a pain in the butt in the Tour of Flanders!! But it's stood the test of time.

Favorite Ride:   Colnago "Ovalmaster"

Similar Products Used:   Colnago 'Ovalmaster' titanium.. This is a lot better than the C'dale in almost every way. But this doesn't make the 600 poor, the Colnago is nudging great across the spectrum of characteristics...Ooh la la (or Bellissimo!).

Bike Setup:   - Big bore aluminium frameset.
- Ultraviolet + Black finish.
- Carbon fibre forks with plent of rake & trail.
- Shimano 105/RX-100 groupset.
- Wheels correspond with the group.
- Continental 'gatorskin' clinchers (these days..)

Submitted by Louis a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2007

Strengths:    Very sharp looking, Frame is stiff, Takes downhills fast

Weaknesses:    Back rim came out of true .

Bottom Line:
This was my first road bike and I love it.
It is light and can go fast.

Favorite Ride:   Anytime warm and dry