Cannondale R800 Road Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Hutchinson Reflex

Submitted by commuter99 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2008

Strengths:    Light, reliable, low maintenance, good price for the value

Weaknesses:    Special spokes for the wheels that are not easily available. If you have the Grecal wheels make sure that you also have spares. This is especially important if you go on longer trips. When the spokes rub against the hub they make annoying noise. Just put oil on the spoke-hub interface and the problem will go away.

Bottom Line:
I like the bike and would buy it again without any hesitation. During about 15000 km of commuting the bike never experienced any mechanical problems.The derailleur was tunned up approx. 3 times during that time. The bike came with Grecal Parade wheels that served me well (I'm 185 lbs=83 kg). The wheels are very light and stayed true reasonably well (only minor adjustments needed). I like the fact that the bike is so light and easy to carry (I live on the third floor).

Favorite Ride:   Southern Alberta hills

Purchased At:   River Valley Edmonto

Similar Products Used:   This is my firts road bike, I started biking 5 years ago.

Bike Setup:   As purcheased: R800 with Grecal Parade wheels. I used 25 mm tire (All Condition by Specialized). They are easy to get on and off the rim after a flat and have kevlar "flak jacket" protection against puncture.They are also relatively low cost. I have not used any other tires.

Submitted by nicopausan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2008

Strengths:    Geometry, material, colors, Brand?, light with the right components.

Weaknesses:    The old components, the wheels were a little heahy and the seat post no very confortable. New Ultagra even the wheels is excellent bike.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bie, the Geometry so far has been the best for me, even better than my ex-pinarello.
I changed all the parts for Ultegra 10 speed and is even better! very light and won 2 races all ready.
Climbing is very stiff and excellent power transfer.

Favorite Ride:   Okinawa, Bogota- Cartagena In Colombia.

Purchased At:   Okinawa, Sport depot

Similar Products Used:   I don't want to compare it, It is CANNONDALE R800!AND LOVE IT.

Bike Setup:   SHIMANO ULTEGRA, SAN MARCO SADDLE, CARBON SEAT POST TNI, AND ULTEGRA WHEELS.

Submitted by Logan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2007

Strengths:    Rigid and responsive, good set up geometry for most riders, GREAT value better than other comparable priced bikes, Carbon Si Ultra fork, comfortable Ritchey handlebars, legendary Cannondale quality,

Weaknesses:    Heavy Cannondale Competition seat post, horribly uncomfortable Fizik Poggio seat.

Bottom Line:
The R800 is very rigid and therefore, very responsive. The geometry is nearly flawless except for maybe a steeper seat tube. The stock components work great even though I've switched out most of mine for response purposes. Great frame to build on and guaranteed GREAT customer service from Cannondale America (1-800-BIKE-USA)

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Tarmac Comp Triple, Bianchi Veloce, Giant OCR Comp 3, Specialized Allez Comp Double

Bike Setup:   I'm switching my component group to Dura Ace slowly, switched to a FSA K-Force light seat post, switched to a FSA OS-115 Carbon Face stem 90mm, using TIME RXS Carbon pedals, switched to SRAM PC-991 chain w/ Powerlink, switched to Selle Italia SLR Max Saddle, applied Fizik Bar Gel and Microtex tape, switched to Continental Grand Prix 4000 700x23

Submitted by Gary a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2007

Strengths:    - The frame is wonderful
- The general spec and the value (with 105 groupset and Ultegra rear mech, carbon seat post and quality Fizik saddle) are excellent.
- Good but a bit heavy stock wheels (Mavic Aksiums)

Weaknesses:    - The Cannondale Fire stem scratches easily and bar/stem cobo looks a bit "under" spec compared to the rest of the bike
- I haven't been very impressed with the 105 brakes vs. my previous Campy Veloce brakes.

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the European spec model. This is a remendous bike in every respect and great value. The frame is extremely light, the ride is as smooth as silk, I can tell that I have gained in speed and climbing ability. The high quality welding for which Cannondale is known is immediately obvious. I am still amazed by the lightness of the Slice premium carbon forks as well. I have not tried a carbon frame yet but I have already done several 5+ hour rides on rough UK roads and have no problems with comfort. I cannot imagine that anyone short of a professional racer would need a better frame than this one. The 105/Ultegra groupset works flawlessly. I even like the stock Fizik Aliante Sport saddle

Favorite Ride:   Surrey Hills and the Pyrenees

Similar Products Used:   My previous bike was a 7005 aluminium frame and all Veloce 9 speed.

Bike Setup:   - Changed the stock 105 crankset for an Ultegra compact
- I use the Aksiums for Winter/home trainer and bought some Reynolds Alta Race wheels for fast club rides and sportives.

Submitted by sreiman a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike about 2mounths ago, and I knoew I was getting an awesome bike , but I could not imagine how it has performed. I love it. it is the smoothest bike and best quality ride i have ridden. I love it.

Cannondale R800 Question (help out a newbie!)

Hello all. I've been looking to get into cycling for cross training with distance running and have been on the hunt for a good used bike at a reasonable price. I had been looking at a couple of used trek 1.1s in the $500 range but tonight I stumbled upon this post [url=http://columbus.craigslist ... Read More »

cannondale r800

so i have been searching craigslist a couple times a day looking for a used road bike to upgrade from a cheap vilano that i bought as my first road bike. i came across a 2000 cannondale r800 for sale, Specs: - Cannondale 56cm Road Frame Aluminum Frame + Slice Prodigy Carbon Fork (by Time) - 10 ... Read More »

friend gave me a R800 triple

My neighbor gave me his bike because he doesn't ride any more. It has 500 mi. on it and is in new condition. Happy birthday to me. It is even the right size for me! this is the same bike--http://www.bikepedia.com/Quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2004&Brand=Cannondale&Model=R800+Triple&Type=bikeRead More »

Buying a Cannondale R800?

Ok so im getting into road biking just for the pure fact of cross training for marathons. Hopeing to do Tri's one day though. I have a chance to purchase a Cannondale R800 model Guy says its a 2003ish for $550 and he will throw in shoes with cleats, here is the ad. A Cannondale R800 in EXCELLENT CO ... Read More »

Cannondale R800