Cannondale SuperSix Road Bike

4.76/5 (29 Reviews)

In 2008 Cannondale added a full-carbon model to their "elite road" line-up. The Super Six is Cannondale's first all-carbon made-in-the-US frame. The full monocoque front triangle is co-molded to the rear triangle resulting in high lateral rigidity while maintaining vertical compliance.

Submitted by Jeff Stringham

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2015

Strengths:    Overall, based on my experience, the Super Six is a very function road bike that should satisfy most serious or recreation riders. The bike handles very well, responds well without feeling overly 'twitchy'.

Weaknesses:    Durability. Again, based on my experience, the Super Six is not a well constructed bike with a strong tendency to develop problems with the frame's integrity. After just over 2 year2, my Super Six showed a small crack where the top tube and seat tube meet. Soon after, there was another hairline crack on the seat tube. At this point I brought the bike to the local Cannondale dealer who said it might not be serious but still took pictures and contacted customer service at Cannondale. About a month later, while riding along on a flat road (I was in Florida so every road is flat) I hit a very small bump in the road and the seat post literally shattered. This bike has always been well cared for and was never crashed so there was no reason for the frame to fail so completely. I took the bike directly to the dealer and he said there was no evidence of any damage or abuse. This was the second Cannondale frame that I owed that failed.

Bottom Line:
Any frame can fail for a variety of reasons, what really matters is how well the company stands behind its product. Cannondale frames come with a lifetime guarantee against defects. Sadly, I have found that this guarantee is not worth much as Cannondale refused to honor it. The dealer I worked with in Port Charlotte, Florida, spent months trying to get the company to respond. He sent the pictures and other information that was requested on at least 3 occasions but the company never provided any information in return nor respond to the warranty request. The frame failure occurred on December 10, 2014. Finally, on August 8, 2015, eight months later, the company stated that they would not honor the warranty but refused to provide the dealer with an explanation.

I requested that the dealer give me the number so that I could contact the company directly, which I did the same day. I spoke to a service rep who was only able to talk to his superior but at first could not provide me a reason other than the refusal to honor the warranty was in line with "company policy". It was only after I pushed that they gave me any reason for their decision, and this was beyond belief.

The first reason that they denied the claim is that they said there was no evidence it was my bike. As this frame was a warranty replacement for the first frame that failed I had no bill of sale, in fact I was given no paperwork at all. I did however register the bike but the company had no record of it as they had already deleted all of the registration information for bikes registered in 2012 and before. Does that make any sense for a company that supposedly is offering a LIFETIME WARRANTY? Even the word of the dealer who originally delivered me the frame and his rep who still remembered the entire situation was considered "adequate proof" that I was the owner of the frame.

Their second reason is that they said that the bike must have been crashed and that the failure could not possible be the result of a manufacturer defect. This despite the fact that I said there was no crash damage to the bike and this was substantiated by the Cannondale dealer, who found no evidence at all of any type of damage caused by crash or abuse. The Cannondale rep asked the dealer what other parts were damaged and the answer was there were none. In fact all of the components and parts from the failed Super Six were immediately transferred to another frame as they were all in good working condition. The company's position essentially came down to saying that both the dealer and I were lying and that we were trying to take advantage of the company. The dealer said that he was not surprised as he has had nothing but trouble dealing with Cannondale on warranty issues since the company's change of ownership and hates dealing with them. On this I would agree. When I requested to speak to the individual who actually made the decision not to honor the warranty, he refused to speak to me.

Bottom line, although I did enjoy my Cannondale before the frame failed, it is not worth the irritation and annoyance of dealing with a company that will not honor their word. There dealings in this case were slow, vague and totally unprofessional. They do not appear to respect either their customers or their dealers so I will never own another Cannondale. Period. With so many excellent bikes on the market I would recommend that anyone looking for a new bike steer clear of Cannondale and work with a company that will actually keep its word.

Similar Products Used:   Lynskey Helix, Lynskey Sportive

Submitted by Biga a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2013

Strengths:    Everything so far.

Weaknesses:    The seat feels weird but maybe I need to get used to it.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike so far compared to my old Fuji Roubaix Pro and the other bikes I test rode. I bought this bike to help me with road vibration and comfort. The Fuji was eating me alive on long rides and something had to be done. I found this bike was much more comfortable the the geometry of the frame fits me like a glove. The stock components are great and should suffice me for years to come.

Purchased At:   Planetary Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Fuji Roubaix Pro

Bike Setup:   Stock Supersix 4 Rival

Submitted by Jon

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2012

Strengths:    Goes where it's pointed. All day comfort. Excellent value out of the box. Good mix of standard parts. Killer paint scheme.

Weaknesses:    None that I have observed.

Bottom Line:
I bought this as an upgrade from a giant defy 1 and cannot be happier with my choice I used this bike on a one week bike trip in August called the Bon Ton Roulette in new York. What an amazing ride. The bike handled and shifted perfectly. Standard mavic ksyrium wheels can really roll on the downhills. The only upgrade I will be exploring would be possibly a different seat. Not for any other reason but seats are relatively cheap and there is always a better seat for my buttocks.

Submitted by Flbikejunkie a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2012

Strengths:    Light, fast, and comfortable

Weaknesses:    Should upgrade the Tektro brakes and even though I have had no trouble with the RS10 wheels there are many reports of spoke problems online. I am using the wheels on my Bianchi without trouble.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike last fall and got extra off for the end of season clearance. Full 105 group which is equivalent to Ultegra 6600 which I have on my Bianchi. I have since upgraded the brakes and the rear dérailleur to Ultegra. I have upgraded the wheels to Vuelta Corsa lite. This bike combines the best features of all my bikes into one. It is comfortable like my titanium and steel bikes. It is stiff and fast when I need to hammer on a fast group ride. It is also the lightest of my bikes. I have ridden a century on the bike and although you're tired at the end, I did not feel all beaten up.

Favorite Ride:   Captiva

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Via Narone with full Ultegra, Tommaso T1 titanium with 105, Bianchi campione steel with Ultegra, Cannondale R400 with 105/Ultegra mix

Bike Setup:   105 shifters, front dérailleur, Ultegra brakes, rear dérailleur, Vuelta Corsa Lite wheels, FSA BB30 crank

Submitted by Ferdinand Arcinue a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, efficient, comfortable.
Pricepoint and specs are decent. Best value would be the supersix with rival.

Weaknesses:    Short head tube. Cannondale should think about a more sloping compact with a little more headtube length. My saddle to bar drop is about 2 inches, and that's with max spacers.

Bottom Line:
This is my first carbon bike after riding a titanium litespeed for 8 years and a custom steel landshark for 10+ years. I was shocked to feel the difference. Aside from dropping about 5 pounds of weight, the supersix is both stiffer and more comfortable than either my ti or steel bikes. It was really surprising. I've ridden 3 centuries this past summer, and was 100% comfortable on not so smooth roads. More importantly, this bike is so stiff and efficient. No energy wasted, no upshifts on hills, no noticeable flex whatsoever. At the same time, bumps and road chatter are fairly cushioned. This may also be due to my Hed wheels. The bike also feels lively and responsive. Very stable and neutral in the corners and fast downhills too. All in all, this is a great all around bike.

Favorite Ride:   angeles crest highway