Cannondale Synapse Alloy Road Bike

4.55/5 (29 Reviews)

An overachievement in aluminum frame design. Sloping top tube, longer head tube, hydroformed S.A.V.E. chain stays, and biaxial hourglass sloping seat stays combine for all-day performance riding comfort.

Submitted by Wynnbb a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2012

Strengths:    Fast
Very Well Made
Reasonably Priced
Under 20lbs

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels (Shimano RS-10) and the Tektro brakes both are crap - replaced right away

Bottom Line:
Got this bike as a birthday present for myself. I am 5'8 with 31" inseam, size 54 of this bike fits me perfectly. The alloy frame is beautifully finished. As the owner of two Trek mountain bikes, I have to admit that Cannondale does a way better paint job. The bike is fast, and yet very confortable on the road. The ride is not harsh by any means compared to other aluminum bikes that I test rode. For ~$1500 I am very satisfied with this bike. Looking forward to my first century soon.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez, Trek 2.1, Giant Defy, Cannondale CAAD10

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105 Groupset
SRAM Red brakes
Vuelta Corsa Lite Wheelset

Submitted by Jeff S a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2012

Strengths:    Excellent value for the money, great handling, smooth ride

Weaknesses:    Heavy and sluggish, poor components

Bottom Line:
I recently rented a Cannondale Synapse 6 while on a weeklong vacation in New Hampshire with family. I normally ride a BMC Pro Machine so I have pretty high expectations for a road bike. That being said, I know that renting a bike one has to be happy with what one can find and in this bike I found a very servicable ride.

The Synapse 6 offers superb handling and comfort making it an excellent choice as an entry level bike for a cost conscious cyclist. While it doesn't spring forward with every mash on the pedals the way a stiffer carbon frame does, it still shows some nice nimble traits and deftly manages turns at high speeds.

I think that if I was going to buy this bike for someone I would upgrade the components to 105, spring for some better wheels and they would have a really nice bike that they would be very happy with for quite some time.

Favorite Ride:   BMC Pro Machine

Submitted by R T a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    1. Good price
2. Great at dampening vibrations; easy on the body
3. No flexing of the bottom bracket when accelerating
4. Handles well

Bottom Line:
I finally had to replace my old Cannondale Silk Road 500 (CAAD 3) after about 30,000 miles. The design of the Synapse intrigued me, so I tried it out and liked it. I transferred my carbon seat post and Specialized seat from my old bike and put it on the Synapse. I also replaced the stock tires with Continental Gatorskin tires just as I had on my old bike. I replaced the stock handlebar with a slightly wider handlebar.

The angle is more relaxed. I'm a few more degrees upright. It's easy on the back and neck. The rear triangle design damps vibrations much better than my old CAAD 3 frame. The carbon fiber forks do a decent job at absorbing vibrations, but the Silk Road's headset shock was noticeably better . Overall, it does a better job than the Silk road because the rear triangle is so effective.

Shifts are crisp. Braking system works well. The handling is also precise.

Purchased At:   Helen's Cycles

Submitted by ewgrainger a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2010

Strengths:    Ligthweight
Body position
Smooth, ergonomic shifting

Bottom Line:
Purchased the Cannondale Synapse 5 after having to send my 1987 Shogun Samurai to the bike bone pile. I'm a recreational rider who competes in triathlons. This bike fits me like a glove and the ride is smooth as silk.

Favorite Ride:   Winchester Triathlon course

Purchased At:   Element Sports, Winc

Similar Products Used:   1987 Shogun Samurai

Bike Setup:   Shimano 105

Submitted by bodiddley a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    price, incredibly smooth ride, responsiveness, durability.

Weaknesses:    stock rims and spokes a little weak.

Bottom Line:
Biker's Edge had sold me on a Felt Z70 but when I went to pick it up they had sold it, they cut me a screaming deal on this bike, upgraded the components to Ultegra all around, and I couldn't have been more pleased. Have nearly 3,000 miles on it and still loving it. I ride 70-80 miles a week, have never had a problem with the bike. Love the stock saddle, I am a big guy and it fits my backside fine. Carbon forks and seatpost help as well. For the price paid, even if it's full price, I don't think you can go wrong with this model.

Favorite Ride:   the one that just ended

Purchased At:   Biker's Edge

Coming soon - hottest road bike products from these brands!