Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Road Bike

4.67/5 (6 Reviews)

• Frame: Synapse Carbon S.A.V.E BB30
  • Fork: Synapse monocoque full carbon, S.A.V.E.
  • Tires: Vittoria Diamante Pro Light, 700 x 23c, foldable
  • Rear Cogs: SRAM PG-1070, 12-27
  • Shifters: SRAM Rival

Submitted by JackieB

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2012

Strengths:    Light, comfortable geometry, good size choices great components.

Weaknesses:    You will feel rough roads more than Cannondale's commercial for Paris-Roubaix Pave will lead you to believe. Though smoother than aluminum, It is still rougher than steel.

Bottom Line:
Great geometry, not as upright as Specialized Roubaix, but not as racy as many others in the plush bike category. A nice compromise. Frame is stiff, power through BB30 is awesome. Component options are numerous. My 55 year old legs appreciate the SRAM Rival groupset, compact crank and WiFli cassette with hill gears. Great for the aging cyclist. First 100 miles ( 5 @ 20mi) and I love the bike. Looking forward to longer rides after I ditch the Prologo Scratch pro saddle. Ouch.

Submitted by Jeremy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2011

Strengths:    Climbs like a goat and almost feels effortless compared to my old bike.
Corners great and feels stable on the downhills.

Weaknesses:    The Tektro brakes could be better and might be in line for replacement down the road.

Bottom Line:
Picked up my 2010 Synapse 4 hardly used from a guy at a great price to replace my long in the tooth 2003 Specialized Allez Elite that lots of mileage on it.

This is my first all carbon road bike and what a difference from my old Specialized. It gives a super plush ride and overall just feels great. The Double Tap Rival takes a bit of getting used to from my previous Shimano Tiagra/105 setup, but is really responsive and shifts crisp and clean.

The BB30 bottom bracket really does make a difference and power transfer feels instant.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale Synapse 4 Rival

Purchased At:   used

Bike Setup:   Full Rival Drivetrain
Tecktro Brakes
Mavic Aksium wheel set
Vittoria Rubino Pro tires

Submitted by midtex pilot a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2011

Strengths:    Great ride

Weaknesses:    Stock saddle

Bottom Line:
Had a Trek 7.3fx and wanted to upgrade to a road bike. Looked at the Synapse carbon6 but got a really good price on the4. Love the rival drivetrain. Upgraded to Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, selleitalia maxflite saddle, 105pedals. Great bike!

Favorite Ride:   cannondale synapse carbon4

Price Paid:    $1995.00

Purchased At:   peyton's bikes

Bike Setup:   Mavic Ksyrium SL wheels, Cateye wireless computor, SelleItalia Maxflite saddle, Conti4000 700x25c tires, SPD105 pedals

Submitted by hammermtb a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2011

Strengths:    Carbon everything with the "Save" technology, BB30 Bottom bracket, Mavic Aksium wheels, and no transferrable road vibration.

Weaknesses:    Factory seat. Change it out with a Koobi Au Enduro. Road a 15 miler with no padded shorts with the Koobi...not a pain in the world.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2010 Synapse 4 Carbon with the Rival group and Mavic Aksium wheels. This is my first road bike and I am in love with it. My first experience road riding was while commuting this past summer on my pig, a Scott P45 I think. I put 700 miles on it in the matter of 5 months, and got the roadie bug. All in all, a great bike for the price. I was skeptical about opting for the FSA double crank vs. triple crank, but I wouldnt have it any other way now.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale Rival 4 Carbon

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Complete SRAM Rival drive train, Mavic Aksium wheels, Koobi Au Enduro seat, FSA Double Crank, Shimano SPD 520 pedals, and Schwalbe Durano tires.

Submitted by francoaa a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2010

Strengths:    Great over rough pavement compared to a $800 alum bike I tested. I like the weight. Handles great for a rec. rider.Goes up hills very nice.

Weaknesses:    Wish it came in more than black, maybe a orange or blue. It should have been all tigara not sora front derailer. Need to adjust brake pads off center not a big deal.

Bottom Line:
this is for a 2010 synapse carbon 4, did not see 2010 yr listed. I like it alot the carbond frame really takes the sting out of rough pavement for its price class. Great ride, no sting in the arse!Great climber.

Favorite Ride:   kelly drive

Purchased At:   wooden wheels

Similar Products Used:   test jamis ventura sport nice, specialized sectur. the carbon was better

Bike Setup:   stock eqpt. for now

Source for FSA Carbon Seatpost 25.4 for Cannondale Synapse?

I'm trying to find one of these to upgrade a Synapse Aluminum. Does anyone know a source? My local cannondale dealers can't get it.Read More »

CAAD 10 105 vs Synapse Carbon 4 Rival

Hey, guys, looking for some input. Both 2012 bikes Tested out a CAAD 10 105 today and loved it. LBS also has a Synapse Carbon 4 Rival for sale at about $1400; actually about $100 less than the CAAD 10. Been looking for reviews on the Synapse, and I am not finding many. Read many excellent ... Read More »

2011 Cannondale Carbon Synapse 4 - a good price?

Hi. I have been looking for a new bike to ride for some time and have test rode the synapse at the LBS. I also watch the classified ads to see if a good deal may come along instead of buying new. I have come across a 2011 Synapse Carbon 4. These are the specs: Frame: 54 cm carbon Synapse Cra ... Read More »

synapse carbon 4, cervello rs or specialized roubaix comp compactubiax

I started just thinking about the best 2-3k bike and my research has lead me to these three. I have read all I can find on them. I was leaning towards cannondale and i will take a quick spin on a supersix/caad but i am not going to race ,mostly 20-100miles workouts. I think I will like the more comf ... Read More »

My New Synapse Carbon 4

Thanks for all the input to my previous threads.. I was going to hold out for a 2012 Synapse Carbon Apex with the new Save Plus frame, seat post, and SRAM BB30 crank but I was at an LBS who had a 2011 Carbon Rival for 20% off MSRP and after a test ride I was sold. Its my second road bike (upgrad ... Read More »