Cervelo Dual Road Bike

Pedals: Unspecified
Tires: Vittoria Rubino Pro

Submitted by Gary a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2013

Strengths:    Great components, stiff aero frame. Bombproof stock wheels.

Weaknesses:    Only able to take one bottle holder. Brake levers are not the best.

Bottom Line:
I've had the Dual for nearly five years now. I am occasionally tempted to buy something fancier, but then the rational side of my brain reminds me that even if I spent three times as much as I did on this bike, the gains would be minimal if any. I have won a number of local sprints on this bike and blow past people on bikes costing many times more in every race I do. The components are great; the ultegra derailleurs always shift smoothly and work well with the FSA Gossamer crank. The Easton wheels that came with the bike, while not the lightest, are still true even after 5 years of riding on rough roads. The only thing I don't really like is only having being able to fit a bottle on the seat tube and not on the down tube. This means if you go further than Olympic distance you need to buy a behind the seat bottle holder. The profile design cockpit is comfortable.

This is a true workhorse of a bike that will not let you down. If you have the engine you will go fast on it too!

Purchased At:   Competitive Cyclist

Submitted by Kris a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2011

Strengths:    This bike over achieves what you pay for it. Excellent components, carbon fibre fork, aero frame, Vision bars. Don't feel the need to jump to pricier offerings but can invest in some race wheels instead. Brake leavers are basic but the lightest available. A bike made for the triathlete who would rather invest $$$ in other areas of their training. I paid in Canadian dollars. Nothing "entry-level" about this bike. A good long-term bike to have in the stable.

Weaknesses:    None really. Easton wheels are basic but do the job. What you save on the price tag vs. what you get, you can put the money against a good set of race wheels.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic bike, loved every minute on this ride. I put this bike through Ironman Canada training last year and it was a real work-horse. Very comfortable to ride for long hours, stiff frame to really help transfer power to pedals. Great value. The high-end Dura-ace components shift effortlessly. Love blowing by the P4's on this!

Favorite Ride:   Vancouver to Whistler

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Speed Theory Vancouv

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Steven Nail a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2011

Strengths:    Good component spec for the price. Nice aero frame.

Weaknesses:    A little bit on the heavy side. The brakes are not the greatest.

Bottom Line:
I have been very pleased with this bike. You get the same aero characteristics of the more expensive bikes without the price. The 10 speed Ultegra components make for smooth error free shifting. The Vision aero bars also comfy and can be adjusted to be very aero as well. I have put about 4K miles on it in two years and it is still like new. I just need to upgrade to some race wheels.

Favorite Ride:   Natchez Trace South

Purchased At:   RA Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Leader triathlon custom build.

Submitted by beston a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2008

Strengths:    Ride Quality.
Price.
Specs

Weaknesses:    It's not quite as aerodynamic as some carbon frames, but it's still pretty aero!

Bottom Line:
I love this bike.
It's the most comfortable bike I've owned. I've got another road bike with a lot more carbon in it and it does not feel as comfortable as my Dual.

Spec-wise, it's got all the good components where you need it(D/A or Ultegra). The brake levers and the calipers are cheaper, but they work fine. I have had no issues with the FSA crank either. Absolutely NO flex here.

The stock Easton wheels have stood up very well for training and racing.

The vittoria Diamante Light tires are fast, has had no punctures, but wears out a little prematurely (2000Km)

There are great deals to be had on this bike. I've seen them at bike shows for $1100. If you get a chance to buy one at a cheap price... do it!

Favorite Ride:   The one with a tailwind

Purchased At:   Neworld

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Allez Expert

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by EconKid a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2007

Strengths:    Great value for entry level bike; comfortable saddle; stiff; really fun to ride; looks great.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I got the Dual after researching all the intro level tri bikes (Felt, Specialized, Quintana Roo). I have the Ultegra that came in the yellow color. This is far and away the best tri bike for the money and I have loved it since I got it. Much better components and engineering than any of the comparably priced competition. I have found it to be stiff enough to hammer in races, but comfortable enough for long weekend rides. I changed the stock 53/11 FSA crankset to a Compact Shimano so I can ride it in the hills. Great on the flats, not surprisingly a little squirrley on very fast descents. I pass a lot of people during the tri bike legs on this bike. Upgrade worthy and I think the best entry-level tri bike out there.

Favorite Ride:   Grizzly Peak and Skyline