Cervelo P2K Road Bike

Pedals: Unspecified
Tires: Vittoria Rubino Pro

Submitted by jrjmn9999 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2006

Strengths:    Aerodynamics, cabling system, frame stiffness, carbon fork & seatpost make it a smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    I've chipped the paint in a few places with the bottom of my peddle cleats. Hasn't happened with my other bikes. That's the only thing I'm not happy with.

Bottom Line:
Everything about the bike is fantastic from the frame stiffness, internal cabling, carbon fork, carbon seatpost, and handling (for a tt bike).

I did a lot of research and looked at everything from Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, Bianchi, Felt, QR, Elite, etc., and I'm extremely happy with it.

Favorite Ride:   Cervelo P2K

Purchased At:   Gear West

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Tri Hard a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2004

Strengths:    Build quality, very very aero, great color scheme, excellent components and performance for the price. Internally routed cables keep a clean look. Reversable seat post gives a lot of positioning flexibility. Very stiff frame - really feel that your pedal power is being turned directly into speed. Really fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    There is nothing that I do not like about this bike. Understand that it is a triathlon / time trial bike so it was not built for climbing hills or fast reactions in group rides.

Bottom Line:
It is about the bike! This is one fast machine. I started into triathlons last year using my Lemond Zurich Road bike and was getting tired of watching guys with aero bars and tri-frames passing me. I seemed to always claw back time on the hills, but on the flat, long sections, I just could not keep up. So this year I decided to buy a tri specific bike.

I researched a lot of tri bikes before deciding that the Cervelo P2K offered the best all round value and performance. I looked at the P3 but finally figured that I was just "not that good" to spend the extra $1K on the frame. Also looked at the Kestrel Carbon but it was also more pricey. I have not had even a fleeting moment of buyer's remorse since buying the P2K. I was an average 2 MPH faster on the Cervello from day one, and three months later my average speed has climbed another 1 to 2 MPH. I'm now right up there with the fastest riders and I think I have room for improvement still.

The aluminum ride is definitely stiffer and slightly harsher than my steel Lemond, but there's really not that much in it. You would not say it was an uncomfortable ride by any means. The carbon seat post and forks dampen most of road vibration. The bike handles well, though don't expect any tri bike to handle like a road bike on windy high speed descents. Tri bikes are built for going really really fast on mostly flat, straight courses.

Cervelo build quality is first rate. Great paint job and welds. Internally routed cables are great. Everything on the bike is designed to be aerodynamic - including the rear wheel cut-out. Not sure if its these aero components that make the difference or if it's just being tucked into an aero position on the bars, but something is making me go much faster with no more effort than before.

Hills are definitely tougher with the Cervelo than the Lemond because the tri geometry sits you further forward and you don't get the same leverage in a climb. It's not that much worse though and you more than make up for it on the flats. You use your quads more on the tri geometry and less of your hamstrings so I generally feel less tired when I get off the bike.

All in all, you cannot go wrong with this bike. It is great value, goes like a rocket and is built with quality. I have never seen a bad review of this bike anywhere.

Favorite Ride:   50 miles of Colorado mountains

Purchased At:   Excel Sports Boulder

Similar Products Used:   Also own a Lemond Zurich road bike which is a great bike and the one I take on the hill climbs or group rides.

Bike Setup:   P2K frame with carbon forks and seat post, shimano dura ace 10 speed rear and ultegra front. Ksyrium wheels, shimano dura ace pedals, cane creek headset.

Cervelo P2k seat post part

Hello. I managed to strip the triangular aluminum nut thing (don't know what it is called) that sits inside the seat post on my Cervelo P2k tri bike. I have tried to find one on Google and ebay with no luck. Does anyone know where I can find one? What it is called? thanksRead More »

Cervelo P2K DEAL

[url]http://www.insideoutsports.com/product.aspx?storeid=&eventid=0&sku=105554[/url] Saw this posted over on Slowtwitch... 2004 P2K's on sale for $600 -- get them while they're hot... Looking through the site, they also have the Cervelo One on sale for $500. Crazy!! Ordered the P2K, no ... Read More »

Trek Equinox 9 vs Cervelo p2k

The older Trek equinox' before 2005 were a piece of crap. Anybody have an '05 or '06. What do you think. Is it a better bike than the Cervelo p2k. Or is it just worth it to spend the extra money and get a p3sl?Read More »

P2k vs Kg 196 Monoblade

I was thinking about getting a Cervelo P2k, but another option has come by my desk. I have a chance to get a Look KG196 Monoblade, although vintage about 91', and a little hefty, it does appear to be quite aero. Does anybody have any info on the Look kg196 monoblade?Read More »