Cervelo S2 Road Bike

4.7/5 (10 Reviews)

The S2 pioneered carbon aero road bicycles. Our experience in building aerodynamic frames without losing focus on weight, stiffness, strength AND comfort, has been proven with multiple wins on the cobblestones. Introduced in 2009, the S2 remains a vital part of the S-series and still offers a true aero value today.

Submitted by Rob

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2015

Strengths:    Rubinio, Vittoria Pro-slick tires. Aero frame. Dura Ace 7900 component set. Very comfortable hoods. Comfortable and aero in the drops. Exceptionally quiet and smooth with 7900 component set. Very stiff and fast on in all phases; descents, climbing and in a pack. Price

Weaknesses:    -Fizik Arione Wing flex is in my opinion a horrible seat. Not a big Fizik fan, boys go numb quite a bit, and have to be so far back to get seat bones on pear section of the saddle.
-On a Dura Ace bike I would expect Zipp or HUB rims.

Bottom Line:
I was on a 2008 Specialized Tarmac Comp, Team Gerolsteiner colors with 105 components and Ultegra de-railer. It was my first full carbon bike before that I was on a 2011 Felt F95 Aluminum frame, carbon fork. Specialized was a 58, a bit big as I'm 5, 1"' but shortened the neck.

I bought my 2011 Cervelo S2 Dura Ace/7900 in June of 2015. My friend owns a shop and this was a left over at one of his stores that never sold, I got it for over 2k less and it had never been rode so for value it's a 5 for sure. Even at $5,500.00 it's tough to beat a bike like this with a Dura Ace set even one a few years old.

Same frame as 2012/13/14 S2/3, Cervelo made changes to the frames for 2015 so any left overs you can find there is no difference for instance between '11 S2 and '14 S3 frames Aero bikes are certainty popular and you see them even in the peloton. It's extremely fast and quiet and all aspects of the bike are awesome w/ exception of the saddle and the rims. The rims aren't horrible but again, I expect Zipp/HUB for a Dura Ace component set. I have Zipp 404's that I put the Pro-slicks on and put a set of 700x25's on the Fulcrum rims for rainy days. Everything is internal with exception of the STI as it leaves handle bar and enters top/down tubes.

Very clean, colors matches almost anything for those of us that like to shoes, gloves and helmet that match or complement each other.

Cervelo is the lead AERO manufacturer in the world (although Giant makes everyone's frames) and I love this bike. The only think I will most likely change is the saddle but WELL worth the $.

Hope this review helps.

Submitted by stevem

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2014

Strengths:    Pricing, looks, built, aero, light weight.

Weaknesses:    Frame could use better wheels and groupset.

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2013 version of this bike with 105 and Shimano R500 wheels. In reading the reviews, I knew this frame could and has historically, performed really well with lighter wheels. I have an old bike I will be building up, and there was an opportunity for me to push the wheels and the groupset to another bike so the economics made sense. Accordingly, for a few hundred dollars more, I upgraded to Ultegra 6800 11 Speed, and changed the wheels out to a set of handbuilt aluminum rims. A set of Continental GP4000S IIs went onto the rims, and I have to say, the whole bike takes on a different character. The new Ultegra is super smooth shifting, and the additional 28T cog makes climbs very nice. The light, but not super light rims (H Plus Son Archetype) roll fast (Bike Hub Store hubsets), and I'm just over 15lbs all in. If you can pick up this bike at a good price, or just the frameset, it's fabulous. The upgrade path is nice because you can take advantage of a frame that has been replaced by a more current model, and move the bike up to its former glory -- without spending an arm and a leg.

Submitted by MErcRidnMike a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2013

Strengths:    Tour technology (granted a few years old) with modernized materials, reasonable weight (17.5 lbs for a 58 cm frame with Campy Zonda wheel upgrade), pretty stiff but doesn't beat you up too badly for an aero frame bike. Cervelo name....come on, admit it: it is a sexy name when it comes to fast bikes ;)

Weaknesses:    Not the cutting edge of tech (but the price reflects that), color / schemes the last few years, limited seatpost options, heavy stock wheels and cranks

Bottom Line:
I got mine on an end of season special (price in Cdn $) and it was a great value overall. Coming off an aluminum framed bike, this frame seemed like butter for my clyde class butt. Yes, there are more comfortable bikes for the long haul out there (lots of Fondo bikes these days)...but what it gives up in absolute plush ride, it gives back in "ready to hit it....hard" go. It has held up extremely well and is surprisingly fast...it seems to really find its stride if you get it over 30 km/h.

The SRAM Rival shifters and derailleurs do quite well, but they are not the lightest (not a big concern for me). I'm not a fan of the FSA Gossamer cranks and brakes that came stock on my 2012 version....I'll likely ride it stock for a year or two and then upgrade to Campy Chorus.

Since new, I've upgraded from the Fulcrum Racing T wheels (mix of Racing 5 and Racing 7 components) to Campagnolo Zonda wheels (aka Fulcrum Racing 3's) shod with 25 mm GP4000s tires and it has livened the bike up considerably.

For a charity event, I threw some clip-on aeros on it and, though not ideal for position, it did quite well overall.

If you're not looking at spending an arm and leg for a quick bike, then look no further. If you're after a bike for back-to-back Centuries, this might not be ideal but it will get the job done.

Favorite Ride:   Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer (Alberta)

Purchased At:   Way Past Fast

Similar Products Used:   Tried a variety - Cannondale Synapse and Giant Avail Composite being the runners up to this choice...but the sexy and speed won out when I had a chance to put the S2 through its paces.

Bike Setup:   Cervelo S2 (58 cm), SRAM Rival shifters FD and RD, FSA Gossamer brakes and crank (34-50), RaceFace Cadence bars (460mm), Truvative Stylus 110 mm stem, Fizik Aliante Gamma XM saddle, Campy Zonda wheels, Continential GP4000s tires (25 mm), Look Keo 2 Plus pedals, Fizik microtex two-color wrap

Submitted by ayEtionroids

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is comfortable, great cornering, and the aero frame cuts through the air like crazy!

Weaknesses:    The SRAM Rival components are middle of the road, but still quality components.I am planning on upgrading to Force with Red shifters.

Bottom Line:
Overall, a great bike. Cannot fail with this bike!

Submitted by Tom a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2013

Strengths:    The bike is stiff, fast, very repsonsive and I love the geometry. The geometry allows me to spend more time in the drops while feeling relatively comfortable. My bike is equipped with full Ultegra and I like the overall solid feel and dependability of the frame and components. To me, it's the best bang for the buck when it comes to a true race machine.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is the components. Current 2013 model comes with sram rival components and cheap, heavy wheels. If you can upgrade to carbon wheels that will maximize the aero features of the frame then you have a dream machine. The original S2 for the Cervelo Test Team came with durace components and Zipp wheels and any reviews that were done at that time had either ultegra or durace components and deep dish carbon wheels that worked well with the bikes geometry. So the good news you can replicate a similiar build if you want to go to that expense.

Bottom Line:
Overall a great bike not matter what components you have on the bike. You will simply enjoy the ride and feedback you get from the road and the ability to go fast. The bike is very responsive to your effort and energy you put into the bike. I also love the "emotion" of the brand. Cervelo has done a great job telling it's "story".

Coming soon - hottest road bike products from these brands!