Cervelo S5 Road Bike

• Store Price

Cervelo S5 Dura Ace 11spd 2013: When the S5 was first unveiled to the public just days before the 2011 Tour de France, it didn?t take long to demonstrate its superior performance. Quickly boasting seven days in yellow in the Tour de France

Submitted by Ganda_Jens a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2013

Strengths:    2013 VWD stiffness, especially the BB business end, and aero qualities are appealing including the two options for the seat position on the seat post. Finish and colour scheme on the 2013 VWD grows on you very quickly. Lifetime frame warranty is a nice touch.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet after 3,000 kms in 2 months.

Bottom Line:
I've never owned a Cervelo or TT bike before and it is really fun to get out riding on the 2013 VWD. Like the other reviewers have said, this bike is quick. Power goes straight to the rear wheel. It also gives you a sense of sitting in it rather than on top of it. Hard to explain. Go try one.

Took a little time to figure out size - 54 or 56 cm frame (I'm 179 cm, 79 kgs, centre crank to top of seat 764 cm, centre axle to top of stem 605 cm, tip of seat plum line to centre crank 82cm). Went with 54 cm which I am very happy with. Nicked the inside of my VMO with the end of the stem bolts - didn't trim them enough - to begin with though.

The ride quality is firm and comfortable if you use a seat like a Fizik Arione Wingflex. And it does all the right things in terms of hugging the road and holding its line around corners on smooth seal. The steering is quick, which I like, but it does wallow a bit if the corner is rutted or bumpy or if you're running deep rims and get hit by a decent wind gust when you're cranked over - all good fun.

Bike Setup:   Shimano DuraAce 7970 Di2. Crank 172.5 50/34. Cassette 11-25. Seat Fizik Arione Wingflex. Wheels custom built Flite 45mm carbon clinchers with Chris King Hubs and DT Swiss spokes. Richie carbon bar and stem. Enve carbon brake pads.

Submitted by Jace

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2013

Strengths:    This bike is fast, fast, fast. Very stable and I LIKE the way it looks.

Weaknesses:    none for me. I live in Florida so no real climbs so a little heavier is okay. Some say it doesn't accelerate quick but I have no issues. I too would trade weight for aero any day where I live. The best aero position is pretty aggressive and fine for me but may be too much for some.

Bottom Line:
I switched from an Orbea Orca with zipp 404s with a Power Tap and a Dura Ace kit...hardly a shabby bike. When is switched to the S5 with the same Zipp/Power Tap, I was 1.5 to 2 miles an hour for the same wattage. Since then, I've "aero'd" up the bike even more: Aero bottle, Aero Q rings, 3T Zefiro aero Pi bars and now new Enve 6.7.

The result: FAST. Basically a stealth time trial bike. I now pull my group ride and can almost keep up with true Tri/TT bikes. I did a century recently with my old riding pack and they all commented on how much stronger I was than before. While my speed agreed, my wattage said the truth.

There are three thing we fight: gravity, inertia and aerodynamic drag. This bike maximizes aerodynamics really well.

Submitted by Scott a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Strengths:    Very fast and stiff but not too harsh. Decends very faster faster than any other bike I have ridden. Fastest bike I have ever ridden with little effort.

Weaknesses:    Maybe a little heavy for a carbon bike but I take aero over weight any day.

Bottom Line:
If you want a fast bike that does it all this is the one for you. It flies on the flats, climbs well and keeps you at the front of the pack in races. LOVE IT!

Similar Products Used:   Giant OCR, Trek Madone, Cervelo S1

Bike Setup:   Hed Jet Express 5 wheels, Rotor 3D crank with Q rings, Shimano Ultegra.

Submitted by Brian Smith

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2012

Strengths:    FAST!!!!!
STIFF!!!!
FAST!!!!!

Weaknesses:    It's almost harsh.

Bottom Line:
I am a group ride racer. I love keeping up with the team racers. I'm a 40 year old who just one a Masters road race in OK - my first actual race. However, I won that on a Cervelo S2. I bought the S5 because some guy out of San Fran was giving it away. I have ridden it 4 times in a week. My group ride comrades were impressed with a long pull I took that averaged over 26 miles an hour for 4 miles. It has to be the bike... I can't do that...

I rode it tonight in the hills and was crazy impressed with how stiff the bottom bracket was for the uphill sprints. I was passing everybody... I don't always do that...

My bike has SRAM Red and BBright cranks from FSA. I have to believe the BBright has something to do with the stiffness. It looks and feels like a time trial bike. It came with Easton EC90SL Tubulars. They compliment this bike in every way. I also have Zipp 404 firecrest. They are fast when you spin them up but they don't climb as well and they don't spin up as fast. I will train on the Firecrest and race on the Eastons.

If you want the absolute fastest bike in the market and don't mind paying for it, then get this bike.

I've ridden Tarmacs, TCR's, Cervelo r3SL, Cervelo S2, etc. I'd go with the R3 if you want comfort and speed. But the Cervelo S5 is faster.

2013 trek madone 5.2 vs 2012 cervelo s5

I'm torn between these two bikes. I love to ride in groups and events but have also competed in my first 70.3 triathlon this summer. After much thought I decided to upgrade to a new road bike rather then go TT. While the frame of the cervelo impresses me I'm not sure that the SRAM rival is as great ... Read More »

Cervelo S5 vwd for Sale (56)

Message me if interested. Location- Naples, FL Comes with BBRIGHT (bracket)Read More »

Cervelo S5 Black VWD

Bought a '12 VWD from a friend of mine and I am painting it in a satin black. Problem is, when I started prep I got everything done and then realized my dumb ass self forgot to measure the decals. I am getting custom ones done and need to get the measurements to the decal maker. Thanks!Read More »

Cervelo S5 owners, still happy with the bike?

I am contemplating getting a S5 to add to my fleet, so not really replacing anything. I have read several online reviews and was able to take a short test ride that I enjoyed but couldn't get a true sense of frame as I would need a week or two on it before I could make a fair judgment on it. Is ther ... Read More »

HELP! Position for Powermeter magnet on S5 team

Hello folks, I have purchased a SRAM powermeter and I am having issues with placing the magnet. So far I have lost one magnet due to a dropped chain and and last couple of days, I almost lost the other when my chain dropped again. I would like to know, for the folks out there using the powermete ... Read More »