Cervelo Soloist Carbon Road Bike

4.8/5 (49 Reviews)

No compromise - Extremely aerodynamic yet among the lightest frames in the world and with excellent stiffness & compliance properties.
  • New profile downtube
  • Laterally stiffened chainstays

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Fred a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2011

Strengths:    Speeeeeeeeeeeed ! But you have to deserve it
    Takes a lot but gives a lot !
    Climb like a h0rny monkey
    Comfy if you like pain
    Reactive and very well balanced in corners
    It makes a really sexy wind noise at high speeds
    SRAM Rival is a nice reliable group for the price

Weaknesses:    No chainstay guard, but a few inches of black Duck Tape do the trick
    Not made for cruisin' around
    Stock wheels and tires are really cheap
    Makes funny squeaks when bolts are not tight enough

Bottom Line:
    Great bike, outstanding quality for the price since it went down. It's difficult to beat the polish and the efficiency of this bike.
    It is not a bike designed for occasional riders, since it asks a lot. But if you are in a good day, it is like riding a magic carpet.

Favorite Ride:   BC

Purchased At:   Cycle Logic

Similar Products Used:   Duh, many many bikes

Bike Setup:   Stock 2011 S2 with SRAM Rival Set, Look Keo Max 2

Submitted by Jay a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2011

Strengths:    Noticeable increase in speed when coupled with deep section carbon rims relative to a bike with traditional tube shapes with box sectioned clinchers (possibly around 2km/h increase to your average speed).

Reasonably stable at speed if there is no cross-wind.

Looks great

Weaknesses:    The frame could be stiffer. It is by no means a significant compromise to potential speed, but it does lack a certain zing whilst climbing. When accelerating on the flat its ok.
    DO NOT put cosmic carbones on this bike. They completely ruin the ride quality whilst descending/at speed even with the slightest cross winds.
    The ride quality is fine over smooth tarmac, but once the roads start getting rough (like over the ACT boarder into NSW roads) the ride quality goes out the window.
    You'll need one of those 17 degree stems if you want a very aggressive position. I have a 54cm frame and about 6.7cm of drop from the tip of the saddle to the handle bars with no spacers. I wouldnt mind an extra .5-1cm of drop.

Bottom Line:
    Ive ridden and raced this bike for almost three years. It really is a solid all round performer that has served me really well. It was my dream bike in the 06 tour pelaton!

This is a very fast bike that does tender noticeable increases in speed if you have the power to take advantage of its aerodynamic qualities. If your a weekend warrior who smashes out a 25km/h average speed, these qualities will not really be that noticeable. Its when youre spinning along at 35km+ that you start to notice the true quality of the frame. It may be in my head, but it just seems easier to hold a higher pace on this bike relative to my six13. Not only does it seem faster, but the ride is smoother and just a lot better!

Though the ride is solid, it does seem to lack a certain magic about it. its very difficult to quantify, but there is a certain sprightliness or panache missing here. its fast, stable etc, but not inspiring - at least after 3 years of riding it.

As for descending, I can really comment because the ride quality is confounded by the cosmic carbones. Ostensibly it is perfectly functional and reliable. But, the cosmics are TERRIBLE descending wheels! they make the ride nervous and twitchy. Ive only swapped out the front wheel a couple of times and this has made a big difference. Cosmic carbones are very reliable and reasonably fast, but they ruin the ride quality when there is a decent cross wind. (I dont know hoe significant rider wieght is, but Ive heard lighter riders feel the effects more. Im 59kgs.

As for value, these days you can get this bike at bargain prices. I think you can bike one up for about 4000-4500 retail. I imagine you would be hard pressed to find a better bike in this price range.

Favorite Ride:   Federal Highway ACT/NSW

Purchased At:   parts of ebay, frame

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale six13, Giant OCR 3, Trek 1400

Bike Setup:   Cervelo soloist carbon/s2 Frame
    Full DA7800
    Cosmic Carbone SL (2007)
    FSA cockpit

Submitted by Erik S. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2011

Strengths:    Fast, aero is real. Light, not feather light but 16lbs or so with good wheels is fine, I could stand to lose 10 myself. SRAM Rival, is a good group, solid shifting and lighter than other brands that cost more. It is a sleeper of drivetrain. The ICS3 is great, they got it right.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels are solid but heavy, 1900g, Fulcrum 7. The Fizik saddle is not for you if you don't dump power to your legs. It works for me but may not for softer pedaller. The Rival crank could stiffer. They are not easy on the wallet, but you get what you past for.

Bottom Line:
    My loving wife surprised me. Let's go to Columbia and get you that bike you like! She got me a S2, with SRAM Rival. The bike is worth over 2kph on my average speed during my noon time romps from the office. That alone has proven the worth of aero frames. I have over 20years of road cycling experience on bikes ranging from cheap Taiwan made carbons which worked well and had a great ride, to supper stiff Kleins and 'dales. The S2 rear triangle is very stiff and makes the bike take your power to the road, it is not a plush ride but is much better than the old Al frames I raced. The front end is not as stiff as the R3 but is competent handling bike that can take cornering line changes with ease. Cervelo has a great warranty and backs their products which I like. The sizing is a little odd, I stepped down a size from my old bikes. I like that I can get a bit lower in the front compared to my old frames. 4 stars for cost, and nothing is perfect, reviews buy owners are often inflated. I won't do that to you.

Favorite Ride:   Anything fast and rolling

Purchased At:   Summit Cycles

Similar Products Used:   In 20 years, name a racing road bike.

Bike Setup:   Stock, other than a 11/23 cassette. The stock 12/25 was to low for a compact crank.

Submitted by Austin a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2011

Strengths:    stiffness, weight, geometry, aerodynamics, performs well in all types of riding

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
    This has been an outstanding bike. Bought a used 50cm at our bike swap last year. I have been racing in crit races, time trials and triathlons. I love the stiffness of the frame, and the large bottom bracket of the fame translates into serious output of power. The aero shape of the tubes makes it great for tt riding and the geometry and low weight of the bike makes it a great hill climber as well. I highly reccomend this bike to anyone who comes across it for a good price. I happend to find it for a steal price so it makes me love this bike even more.

Purchased At:   Local Bike Swap