Colnago C59 Italia Road Bike

4.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Colnago C59 Italia Frameset 2012: The C59 Italia is the pinnacle of the 2012 Colnago range. A custom made 100% carbon fibre racing machine designed, built and painted in Italy. With a frame weighing approximately 1000g it features an internally

Submitted by silverback843 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2014

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    None that I can find other than the price

Bottom Line:
Bought a 2013 frameset a few weeks ago in 50S for di2. Swaped over Di2 set up, bars, stem, saddle etc from a scott frame that I have been riding for about 2 years. All I can say is that the ride is incredible. It is totally comfortable yet very responsive. It is by far the finest frame I have ever ridden. Fit and finish is second to none. I am not a pro but I have been a roadie for a lot of years. At 53 years old my body is starting to get sensitive to road vibration and longer times in the saddle.
After building up the frame I was able to get in a 24 mile ride. I was impressed to say the least. My second ride was an organized Metric century. That is where I determined I had made the right decision. The threat of rain and storms turned this ride into what I would call a hammer fest for about 10 guys. The pace was around 22 mph with no stops because if the impending storms. I can honestly say that I would have had to stop on other bikes I had. The C59 was like a dream.

I can only highly recommend one!!!

Submitted by Trek_5200 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Strengths:    Light, very stable and pliant ride. This bike loves to climb.

Weaknesses:    Price(it ain't cheap). Paint chips easily.

Bottom Line:
Bought this after riding a Trek 5200 for ten years. Bikes certainly have improved(at least this one has). The bike absorbs road chatter while still providing excellent tactile feedback. It's light, loves to climb and is both stable and maneuverable.

Favorite Ride:   Bear Mountain NY

Purchased At:   R&A cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200, Trek 1200, Trek 330, Schwinn Continental.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra components, Mavic Ksyrium elite wheels & T3 handlebar

Submitted by biker58life

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2012

Strengths:    beautiful to look at, comfy to ride, top of the wrold

Weaknesses:    is it stiff enough? cost a few pretty pennies

Bottom Line:
I had a Colango President and it was amazing. super smooth, like riding 1/8 inch off the ground, gorgeous carbon works. Then I picked up a Scott Addict. Great bike, stiff and easy on the wallet but goes up hills beautifully.

Then I picked up a Colnago C59. I really want to love it, the c59 but I think the Scott Addict is stiffer and more fun on the hills. Both (Scott Addict n C59) have Shimano Di2 and Dura Ace C24 wheels so the comparison is very close; frame only. I still go to the Scott if I have to ride with people who are WAY better fit than me.

All that changed when I got a set of Lightweight wheels standard 3. The wheels transformed the 2 bikes into something amazing! The Scott gained 2 gears going up hills but downhill is now quite twitchy; already was with D/A C24 wheels.

But the LW wheels gave the colnago a whole other dimension. I love the Scott with the LW wheels but now the C59 reaches a level of sophistication the Scott can NOT hope to achieve.

The C59 with the C24 wheels was like a cruiser bike. Steering was sure footed but definitely on the slow side. With the LW wheels, the bike steering came alive! The stiffness can finally be appreciated on the C59. Downhill was just fantastic! Solid, like a true Italian sports car; I have driven quite a few of them.

So, that's my experience with my Colnago C59. I had to slap on the "best" wheels (certainly very expensive, for me) to really see and feel the beauty of C59 in all its glory.

I guess that is the proper thing to do if you get a Colnago C59; get the best components to go with it.

Submitted by Jeff Stohl a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    Highly response and efficient frame that blends stiffness and comfort.

Weaknesses:    Everyone keeps mentioning price, but if you accept that the C59 is easily one of the top 10 frames in the world, or top 20 if you want to argue, then the price point comparison doesn't make this an outlier.

Bottom Line:
Moved to the C59 from a C50 so the comparison points are very subtle. Lost a little more than one pound on weight with only a handlebar change differet. (18lb 1oz with a K-wing) to 16lb 14 oz with a nearly similar FSA bar.

The C59 is clearly more stiff, the first ride was a little disconcerting as this translates into the feeling of "twitchy" steering that isn't really the case as it is the result of each pedal stroke taking you forward. When at speed the two bikes excel in stability and handling comfort. The C50 takes the bumps a bit better, but not by much - regretfully I've not gotten many big down hills in yet to report on how the new fork, integrated headset, and tapered steerer effect the ride. But laying down 80 miles last week, and hitting peak season pace on a 50 milers yesterday leave me assured that the C59 in a subtaintial improvement on the C50 - quite a feat given the C50 quality and design.

Performance bike that will meet the needs of the competitive cyclist regardlesss

Favorite Ride:   all

Purchased At:   bicycle pro shop, ge

Similar Products Used:   C50

Bike Setup:   super record,

Submitted by AC

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2012

Strengths:    Very stiff. Looks incredibly fast. Goes hard in race conditions. Climbs very well, both in and out of the saddle. Best bike on the road. Made somewhere other than china. Has a presence. This bike screams panache.

Weaknesses:    Well, its a little expensive and it is difficult to ride in the rain (seems disrespectful). Super responsive steering takes a little getting used to.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding for a while, and started dreaming of a top end bike with all the bells and whistles. My previous rig (now the rain bike) is a nice 2005 era Trek 5.9sl. I now ride that bike when its wet. The difference between the C59 and the trek is very noticeable. Its lighter, its stiffer, it climbs better, it descends better. And we need to remember that in 2004 the 5.9sl was what lance rode in the Alpe d'huez TT.

It is worthwhile admitting that running Bora Ultra 2's also makes a difference.

2011 C59 Italia non Di2 ready

Hey guys, I currently have a 2011 C59 which I purchased with standard mech routing and I have been recently considering going Di2 9070 electric. It looks like it will be relatively painless from a installation perspective, and it does appear that there will be some external routing required (B ... Read More »

2012 C59 Italia seatpost collar (clamp) size

Hi all; Can anyone here confirm the seatpost collar on a 2012 C59 Italia is 34.9mm (Colnago part CL-35). No luck from my dealer. Thanks. BillRead More »

C59 Italia - Finally!

After 5 months of delay .... finally! [IMG]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p200/a2rney/C59/DSC_0051.jpg[/IMG] will have to test ride this one ..... more pics later:)Read More »

My Colnago C59 Italia

I never believed in love at first sight.............how wrong I was ! [url]http://colnagoconbrio.posterous.com/colnago-c59-italia-some-things-are-just-worth[/url]Read More »