Colnago C59 Italia Road Bike

4.89/5 (9 Reviews)

Colnago C59 Italia Frameset 2012: The C59 Italia is the pinnacle of the 2012 Colnago range. A custom made 100% carbon fibre racing machine designed, built and painted in Italy. With a frame weighing approximately 1000g it features an internally

Submitted by Colnago lover

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2016

Strengths:    Responsive handing
Not too stiff for all day rides
Looks Great

Bottom Line:
I tried numerous bikes (Pinarello , s-works SL3, Lapierre, Trek Madone) and the C59 was simple the best all rounder. It was stiff but not too,stiff, responsive and handled well.

I did a custom build with Campy Super Record, Zipp Bars, Prolgo saddle and originally Racing Zero wheels ( now have Mavic SYS-r & Leightweight's) and it has exceeded expectations in the 12000+ miles I have ridden it. It is not the fastest on the flat or uphills (probably the rider) but it's a great all round bike.

Even after 4 years, the bike looks great and brings attention on the road. Best purchase I could have made.

Submitted by Brent a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2014

Strengths:    Modestly light, laterally stiff, very comfortable, great geometry, heritage and panache. It feels 100% right. By some way the best of the many road bikes I've owned. Genuinely hand built. Great choice of sizes and frame colours; custom building if you want it.

Weaknesses:    It's expensive (but worth it). Not the fastest handling or lightest bike out there. I'd hate to crash it.

Bottom Line:
I've owned over 15 road bikes of all materials and many makes over the last 30y. The C59 is the best of the lot. It's a lovely mix of slightly relaxed geometry (mine is a 60cm frame) e.g. slightly long chainstays without the silly long head tube of a "Gran Fondo" bike. Sure my S-Works has a racier feel, is lighter and probably stiffer, but if I want to go for a long ride on any terrain on the mostly rough local roads it's the Colnago every time it's not wet. It goes uphill nicely, descends securely and absorbs road shock as well as any steel race frame I've owned.

Favorite Ride:   Local Hills

Purchased At:   Mail Order Discount

Similar Products Used:   Many bikes including carbon Treks, Cervelos, Specializeds and Pinarellos (both of which broke).

Bike Setup:   Red 22 (a great groupset), usually R-Sys clinchers with Pro 4 Endurance tyres, Prologo Scratch saddle (another great product if you like an rounded saddle shape).

Submitted by silverback843 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2014

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    None that I can find other than the price

Bottom Line:
Bought a 2013 frameset a few weeks ago in 50S for di2. Swaped over Di2 set up, bars, stem, saddle etc from a scott frame that I have been riding for about 2 years. All I can say is that the ride is incredible. It is totally comfortable yet very responsive. It is by far the finest frame I have ever ridden. Fit and finish is second to none. I am not a pro but I have been a roadie for a lot of years. At 53 years old my body is starting to get sensitive to road vibration and longer times in the saddle.
After building up the frame I was able to get in a 24 mile ride. I was impressed to say the least. My second ride was an organized Metric century. That is where I determined I had made the right decision. The threat of rain and storms turned this ride into what I would call a hammer fest for about 10 guys. The pace was around 22 mph with no stops because if the impending storms. I can honestly say that I would have had to stop on other bikes I had. The C59 was like a dream.

I can only highly recommend one!!!

Submitted by Trek_5200 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Strengths:    Light, very stable and pliant ride. This bike loves to climb.

Weaknesses:    Price(it ain't cheap). Paint chips easily.

Bottom Line:
Bought this after riding a Trek 5200 for ten years. Bikes certainly have improved(at least this one has). The bike absorbs road chatter while still providing excellent tactile feedback. It's light, loves to climb and is both stable and maneuverable.

Favorite Ride:   Bear Mountain NY

Purchased At:   R&A cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek 5200, Trek 1200, Trek 330, Schwinn Continental.

Bike Setup:   Ultegra components, Mavic Ksyrium elite wheels & T3 handlebar

Submitted by biker58life

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2012

Strengths:    beautiful to look at, comfy to ride, top of the wrold

Weaknesses:    is it stiff enough? cost a few pretty pennies

Bottom Line:
I had a Colango President and it was amazing. super smooth, like riding 1/8 inch off the ground, gorgeous carbon works. Then I picked up a Scott Addict. Great bike, stiff and easy on the wallet but goes up hills beautifully.

Then I picked up a Colnago C59. I really want to love it, the c59 but I think the Scott Addict is stiffer and more fun on the hills. Both (Scott Addict n C59) have Shimano Di2 and Dura Ace C24 wheels so the comparison is very close; frame only. I still go to the Scott if I have to ride with people who are WAY better fit than me.

All that changed when I got a set of Lightweight wheels standard 3. The wheels transformed the 2 bikes into something amazing! The Scott gained 2 gears going up hills but downhill is now quite twitchy; already was with D/A C24 wheels.

But the LW wheels gave the colnago a whole other dimension. I love the Scott with the LW wheels but now the C59 reaches a level of sophistication the Scott can NOT hope to achieve.

The C59 with the C24 wheels was like a cruiser bike. Steering was sure footed but definitely on the slow side. With the LW wheels, the bike steering came alive! The stiffness can finally be appreciated on the C59. Downhill was just fantastic! Solid, like a true Italian sports car; I have driven quite a few of them.

So, that's my experience with my Colnago C59. I had to slap on the "best" wheels (certainly very expensive, for me) to really see and feel the beauty of C59 in all its glory.

I guess that is the proper thing to do if you get a Colnago C59; get the best components to go with it.