Colnago CLX 2.0 Road Bike

4.71/5 (7 Reviews)

Colnago CLX 2.0 Ultegra 2011: The CLX 2.0 has the same Colnago features as our top-of-the-range carbon frames, but comes at a more competitive price. It underlines how we apply cutting-edge technology to bicycles that are available...

Submitted by Stephen Tsai a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2012

Strengths:    Branded, nice looking, smooth & stable.

Weaknesses:    Kind of heavy, flexes at bb, poor paintworks, cracks on paints, no good for acceleration, not durable to the real tests of racing.

Bottom Line:
Bought this clx2.0 in 2010 after return to active from 28 years lay off racing.
The bike is generally fine & good in the first year of light cycling. As my training improves, i can feel the bike flexes on sprinting & hard ride. Paintworks starts to shows hairline cracks too.
I never have any falls or hits on this frame, its plain tap water clean after every ride & waxed weekly.
I aren't sure if it would last the style of ridings I used to do years ago on my 531 steel frame.
Felt more like a toy bike than a real racing bike. Have to be extra careful handling it as paint cracks are easily formed.

Favorite Ride:   Dargon school hills

Purchased At:   Profbikeshop kch

Similar Products Used:   TI raleigh 531 steel, Viner colombus steel, Wheeler 7100 alloy frame, kouta korsa lite alloy, trigon TT carbon, Pinarello dogma60.1, pinarello paris 50.1 carbon, colnago master x lite colombus steel, titanium custom built, colnago clx2.0, favourit steel & fuji steel.

Bike Setup:   All the above bikes with dura ace, ultegra, campagnolo.... You name it.

Submitted by Kate McClure a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth ride. Best ever. Extremely stable and a great climber. Looks fantastic

Bottom Line:
Colango CS 3.0

Best bike I have ever had. Tried several models, Bianchi, Look, Litespeed. By far the smoothest ride.

I am a 58 year old women who rides about 100 miles a week weather permitting. Do some club rides and a few citizen road races. I can average close to 20 in good conditions in a road race. Not bad for my age. This bike is fantastic. Great looks. Did build it up a bit, so not stock parts.

Favorite Ride:   35 miles in hills of western WI

Purchased At:   Grand Performance St

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Vela, Lemond Zurich.

Bike Setup:   CLX 3.0 Blue and white paint. Campy record CT 10 sp. HED Ardennes Fr. Look Keo pedals, Selle Stratos saddle. Weighs in around 16lbs.

Submitted by BikerBobT a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2011

Strengths:    Extremely smooth, fast, and well-mannered. This bike is a magic carpet. It also is a really nice looking bike. Did I mention it rides smoothly?

Weaknesses:    Standard cranks with 12-25 cassette are not very good for hills. Proprietary aero seat post can't be swapped out (but no need to that I can see).

Bottom Line:
I wanted to replace my Orbea Onix with something a little smoother riding. I went to a lot of stores and tried a lot of different bikes. I narrowed the list to three: A Pinarello Quattro, a Ridley Noah, and the Colnago CLX 2.0. I guess I rode each of them about three or four times for extended tests. I would be happy with any of the three. But in the end, I chose the Colnago because the ride was simply the smoothest and most comfortable of them, and it simply fit me better.

While not the lightest bike in the world, at 17.5 pounds it is no slouch either. The wheels (Fulcrum 5's) would be a quick and easy upgrade, but they are by no means bad wheels and I probably won't change them anytime soon.

I don't know who manufactures some of the components - they have Colnago branded brakes, tires, and saddle. I suspect the brakes are FSA, since the cranks and stem are made by FSA. They work fine so no worries there. I replaced the saddle with my trusty Aliante. The tires are really nice, and I'd buy them again if I knew what they were!

After several months and finally hitting 1000 miles, I can say that I'm extremely pleased with this bike. It is everything I was looking for and more. And it is truly a thing of beauty (mine is white and blue). Everyone who sees it comments on it.

The only thing I will likely change soon is the crankset. The dealer said my specific bike was a European setup, and was not supposed to be available in the US at all. These all come with some great FSA Team Issue carbon cranks. However, mine are standard 53/39.

As I get older (I'm in my mid 50s), I would prefer compact cranks to help on the hills. The FSA's shift great and look very nice too, but a 53/39 with a 12-25 cassette is just not low enough for me and the hills around here.

Different models come with different cranks, though. If you have Shimano or SRAM components, the swap is pretty easy. Right now, finding 11-speed cranksets is still a little difficult and expensive, which is why I did not have it done at purchase time.

Handling on the CLX 2.0 is spot-on. I never, ever feel that I might lose control. There is no wiggling or twitchiness at speed. It tracks well and corners like it is on rails. At high speed it is very stable. At low speeds there is no wobble. Signor Colnago really knows how to design a bike, no matter where it is actually built!

This bike should appeal to anyone from a cycling enthusiast or recreational rider like me to a Cat 1 racer.

Although I have two other nice bikes, this is the one I choose 90% of the time. I really love it. Thank you Ernesto!

Favorite Ride:   Rolling Route

Purchased At:   Free Flite Marietta,

Similar Products Used:   Orbea Onix, Litespeed Classic, Tommasini Sintesi

Bike Setup:   Campy Athena/Chorus 11-Speed with FSA Team Issue cranks, FSA OS 150 stem and handlebars., Colnago labeled saddle, brakes, and tires.

Submitted by mfioretti a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2011

Strengths:    Ride quality and handling, beautiful looks, very stiff

Weaknesses:    Proprietary/aero seatpost doesn't allow for anything else to be used. Perhaps could be a little lighter but it's not that big of a deal.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. It's beautiful and the ride quality and handling are supreme. I believe that the carbon lugged rear triangle contributes to the ride quality. I feel very confident in descents and cornering with this bike, and climbing is great as well. Really, there's not much more that I could ask for with this frame. My only real complaint is that the seatpost is proprietary and thus can't easily be replaced, nor can it be swapped with anything else. Other than that though, I'm very, very happy with this bike.

Favorite Ride:   Southwest Wisconsin

Purchased At:   Sammy's Bikes, St. C

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Campagnolo Chorus/Athena mix. Chorus RD, cassette, and chain. Athena levers and FD. FSA Team Issue Carbon cranks, FSA MegaExo BB. Campagnolo Khamsin wheels with Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp. 3T bars and stem.

Submitted by James a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2011

Strengths:    Looks good
is light
very stiff
soaks up road vibration good
very good in the corners
outstanding stability

Weaknesses:    Paint job is weak, and does chip easily

Bottom Line:
I originally purchased a clx with full ultegra groupo FSA bottom bracket and ergo carban handlebars. The frame cracked and Bay area schwin got it replaced for shipping only, 250 to builld up. the CLX was nice the CLX2.0 is lighter and stiffer and prettier. The bike is responsive, sweet to ride soaks up roadd noise good, I have Kysirium SSLs on the bike. My average speed on a mixed terrain 40 mile loop is 18 I am 54 and Pretty good for an old fart that has had 2 back surgeries 1 neck for herniated disks and 1 neck surgery to remove the lamina on the 8 vetabrea in my neck. I enjoy the bilke and itt is a grea all around bike good climber, good decender amd outright smooth on the flats and curves.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride with hills and plats mixed in