Douglas Fusion Road Bike

4.82/5 (11 Reviews)

Frame: Easton 7005 Ultralight aluminum with tapered Penta-shaped top tube, oversized Penta-shaped, Vari-Wall down tube; S-bend chain stays, externally butted head tube, Reynolds Ride-Tuned carbon seat stays, replaceable derailleur hanger. Fork: Reynolds Ouzo Comp with alloy steerer, integrated 1 1/8”. Frame Weight: (57cm) 2 lbs., 13 oz. Components: Ultegra or Dura Ace build kits Sizes: 49cm to 63cm in 2 cm increments measured center to top. Color: Electric Blue.

Submitted by the guy

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2013

Strengths:    I bought this bike frame about a year ago from the original owner, No nicks,dings or scratches on the frame.The owner ship it to me in its original box. I could not be more pleased. For $225.00 for the frame alone I fill I got the best bike deal of the year. I added a mix of ultegra front and rear derailluers and pedals,tiagra shifters, cinelli ram carbon flat bars. selle leather spilt saddle, nine speed shimano cog, askium rim set.I added a nice $100 carbon fork. I ride with a number of guys and girls with high end Treks Full carbon Felts, Eddie Merx ,some bikes ending in vowels $3000-$6000 bicycles....Suckers !!!

Weaknesses:    the frame is white

Bottom Line:
The bike is very, very light,very stiff and responsive, the carbon add on make its comfortable to ride 100 mile at a time. Great for climbing and rolling hills. at 54 I don't sprint much. I love this Bike!!!

Submitted by timw a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2008

Strengths:    So far overall A-1 performance and functioning. Everything very good. No wobbles, no creaks, no bad noises of any kind, no bad vibrations, no bad shocks or road shock. Solid feel.

Weaknesses:    None, not even anything to worry about or quibble or whine about.

Bottom Line:
Douglas Fusion. Carbon rear, carbon forks. Price includes shipping. Bike is 2008, per CC. Warning: newbie review! This is my first bike since my Raleigh 3 speed, too long ago to think about. Really this is a review of CC, and some inital impressions of the bike.

CC: They answered all my questions, no problem, no pressure, no impatience - great selling. The bike arrived in a box - it's a package bike. CC tunes it and reboxes it. It arrived perfect. I attached bars and wheels and went for a ride: that simple. 100 points for CC!

The bike: I looked at a lot of bikes. Because I'm big, getting test rides was pretty much not happening. RBR was an important source of imformation. The frame, components, and price were, finally, irresistable. I tried hard to support my local LBS - any local LBS - but in the end it just wasn't possible. No bikes, no availability, too expensive - and that was the best of it, but I digress.

Even though I haven't ridden, I know a good ride: this is a very good ride! I pedal, it goes. And it goes faster very easily - no resistance, no hesitation. It's waaay better than I am! I'm persuaded that for 97% of riders, this is as good as it gets: I could do different; I don't think I could do better unless I spent three times as much, and then maybe not even then.

I'm getting a different stem for a better fit and a Brooks saddle. I use toe clips. Everything else seems much better than good.

Purchased At:   Colorado Cycle

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   61 cm. Completely stock.

Submitted by natsquared a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2008

Strengths:    Great frame. Relatively light, stiff and comfortable.
Easton Circuit wheels are great. Strong, stayed true for the years I used them. Can't go wrong with Ultegra. Pro level performance for the average guy.

Weaknesses:    The generic Douglas quick release skewers bent under torque. After being replaced I was amazed at the improvement in rear end performance. No more wheel slip. It is a prepackaged setup therefore can't customize sizes of cranks, stem etc.

Bottom Line:
The original Fusion, circa 2002 is a great all around fast recreational/entry racing bike. The frame is light, responsive and comfortable enough for all day riding. Not the quickest bike for tight courses but handles everything in a competant manner. The original Ultegra componentry is top notch. It gives outstanding performance at a reasonable price. One would be hard pressed to tell the difference from Dura ace components of the same year. The standout part of the buildup to me was the Easton Circuit wheelset. Great wheels, stiff, light, responsive and a reasonably priced. Unfortuantely I couldn't keep them when I switched over to Record.
Downside to the bike. It is prepackaged so you cannot customize component specs. The original Douglas quick releases were crap. They flexed under torque, to the point of ending which caused a lot of wheel slippage within the dropouts. Replacing the Q/R solved the problem and noticably improved rear wheel stability.

Favorite Ride:   North Shore

Purchased At:   where else CC

Similar Products Used:   Colnago Master Light with Campy Daytona
Basso Paris Roubaix with Athena

Bike Setup:   Originally:
Easton Circuit Wheels, Full Shimano Ultegra 9 speed, carbon seatpost, 3T Forgie bar and stem, Sella San Marco Era K saddle.
Now:
Ritchey pro stem, full Campy Record 10 speed, Vuelta Wheels

Submitted by Ross Williams a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2007

Strengths:    Very, very comfortable - carbon goodies (seat stays, fork, seatpost) help in that department. Climbs well and holds a good line in fast decents. The DT Swiss wheels are magical and along with the compact gearing, makes the steepest climbs do-able. Out of seat acceleration results in very little flex. Overall, a great bike for the price.

Weaknesses:    Bad fork! From almost day-one, had a creak in the headset. Cyclist eventually replaced the headset after adjustments failed to get rid of the creak. The creaking persisted and I took a look at the steerer tube. Cracked in the front and delaminating in the inside back. As I was really over carbon steerers at that time, Cyclist happily switched out the fork for a Reynolds Ouzo Comp with aluminum steerer. There is no insert in the stock fork, and I think that somewhere in shipping, the fork got damaged, as it was not a clamping force failure. However, the big side note is this: the crew at Colorado Cyclist was awesome and did everything necessary to make sure I was happy. They are very professional and get the job done properly!

Bottom Line:
This Fusion started out stock, but like the post below says, it came with some really narrow bars. I added a Deda Newton 46cm bar/90mm stem set-up and switched out the layback post with an FSA Zero post. I didn't stop there, as I added a SRAM Force Compact crankset, switched out the cassette for an Ultegra 12-27, and had Cyclist build up a set of DT Swiss wheels (RR 1.1 rims, 240 hubs, black spokes, red nipples). The whole set-up weighs in at 18.3 pounds, but pedals with a very light feel. The Cane Creek brakes did not stop well at first, but I changed to Dura-Ace pads and now they are very strong.

Favorite Ride:   Sovereign Trail

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   Giant TCR Alloy, Mod-build on an old Schwinn Paramount frame.

Bike Setup:   Douglas Fusion frame, Reynolds Ouzo Comp Carbon fork, Dura-Ace drivetrain, SRAM Force 50/34 Carbon Compact crankset, Deda Newton 46cm bar, Deda Newton 90mm stem, FSA Zero Carbon seatpost, XTR pedals, DT Swiss RR 1.1 rims, DT Swiss 240 hubs, DT Swiss spokes/red alloy nipples, Continental Ultra Sport tires.

Submitted by escariot22 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2007

Strengths:    Parts spec, the bike was set up extremely well. Little to no adjustments had to be made in completing the assembley. It's super-cool that they send an extra derailleur hanger, free of charge.

Weaknesses:    The bike seems a little heavier than what they claim. would be nice to have at least 42cm bars. Cane Creek brakes don't have much stopping power. Why not 11-25, for a 10 speed cassette?

Bottom Line:
I bought the Douglas Fusion 07 just a little while ago, to replace a stolen 2002 TCR 0 that I really loved riding. For what it costs, the Fusion's parts spec is an incredible deal. I've been on a few rides, so far, and I'm very pleased with the characteristics of the bike! It's got a solid feel with components that are both high-end(Dura Ace, FSA) and durable (Easton Circuits). The only complaint I have, really, is that for a 52 cm frame, you automatically receive a 40cm bar. Some of us have shoulders!!...but at that price, I can't really complain. I've been extremely pleased, so far, and trust me...the bike looks a lot better in person than in images.

Favorite Ride:   Mountain Park

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist

Similar Products Used:   2002 Giant TCR 0 - full Dura Ace, Ksyrium SSC's, Merlin Aegus - full Dura Ace, Ksyrium Elites, Old Cannondale Crit bike, Campy Chorus, Open Pros

Bike Setup:   Douglas Fusion 2007 - completely stock, for now, aside from my Sigma computer. DA shifters/derailleurs, Ultegra cassette, Easton Circuits, FSA Team Carbon Cranks/Mega Exo, FSA Stem, carbon post, Wing Pro

Hutchinson Fusion 3 splitting rubber

I've got brand new Hutchinson Fusion 3 tyres running on Shimano Ultegra 6700 rims and they are splitting, front and rear, unevenly, all along the top of the rim. Is this normal? Is it ok to ride and keep riding or should I be worried and demand an exchange/refund?Read More »

My opinions on Fusion 3 tubeless vs good tubed clincher

Posting in case someone does a search for tubeless and comparing it to a tubed tire while deciding on a new wheel or tire purchase. My first few weeks running a Fusion 3 23c tubeless on a 23mm wide rim from BHS. I weigh 165 and my roads are hellacious chipseal and infamous patches of goatheads ne ... Read More »

A fusion engine using di-lithium crystals.

Yay science! [url=http://www.businessinsider.com/newest-fusion-engine-is-powered-on-star-trek-like-dilithium-crystals-2012-10]Newest Fusion Engine Is Powered On Star Trek Like Dilithium Crystals - Business Insider[/url]Read More »

Michelin Pro Race 4 or Hutchinson Fusion 3

I'm thinking of change my Michelin Pro Race 3 for either one of these two. I'm no racer. I have them installed on a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone SLR. If you were me wich one would you choose and why? just need to make up my mind don't want to start an argument.:thumbsup:Read More »

Hutchinson Fusion 3 Tubeless Blew Off Rim

So I am sitting here at work today and all of a sudden I hear a huge bang. I walk outside on my patio to see my rear tire clearly blown off the rim. The bike was not in the Sun and the tire pressure was about 100PSI so it should not have done this. Rim ZTR Crest 29er on My Cannondale Bad Boy (co ... Read More »