Eddy Merckx Team SC Road Bike

4.93/5 (28 Reviews)

Tubing: Easton Scandium SC 7000 Throughout his illustrious racing career Eddy Merckx was meticulous in the detail of his bicycles, taking the utmost pride in the fit and finish of all his equipment. As a manufacturer he retains these qualities, incorporates them with his unparalleled racing experiences, and shares them with thousands like you.

Submitted by Classic Dad

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2012

Strengths:    + Climbs where you point it (and pedal),
+ Absorbs road vibration,
+ Acceleration on demand
+ Classic "Pro" bike
+ Hand made in Belgium
+ Team logo bike is now "cool" (not a poser with a 10 yr old bike)

Weaknesses:    - Doesn't have the mega advertising dollars and name recognition that the new CF bikes have.
After 4+ years I have not come up with any Real weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
This bike always surprises me! I have had this 2002 Team SC (Domo Farm Frites) for about five years now. Originally was going to the Campy Groupo to build a Moots Ti Vamoots. While the Moots was a great Ti ride, I no longer have the Moots and the Groupo is back on the Team SC.

It climbs effortlessly, so I can keep up with my "mountain goat son",
Like ANY bike, fit fit, fit is very important and like another review mentioned, Wheels.
I run a set of Mavic Krysillms SSC for this bike.
The Campy Zondas made it a different riding/handling bike that had an uncomfortable ride.

While my Pegoretti is primary, the team SC has become my very reliable, don't have to "baby it", utility that has never disappointed... bike.
What more could you ask for?

Similar Products Used:   Pegoretti, Moots Vamoots, Marin Argenta

Bike Setup:   Campy Record/Chorus with a Triple crank

Submitted by Michael B a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2011

Strengths:    beautiful and transmits power straight to the road, classic geometry with perfect balance

Weaknesses:    none

Bottom Line:
This is hands down the best bike I have ridden,it is almost 10 years old and is still fantastic , compliments on every ride and the ride is amazing

Favorite Ride:   Eddy Merckx SC

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Fondriest Carbon, Look Carbon, Alan Carbon, Colnago Dream, Pinarello SLX, Basso SLX, Custom 531P , Alan Aluminum

Bike Setup:   Dura Ace 9 speed, Mavic Open pro, Deda

Submitted by frankie853 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2011

Strengths:    So pretty, lightweight, tries to go faster than I do...

Weaknesses:    none i can think of

Bottom Line:
Bought the frame and forks at a really good price. Built this bike up with ultegra and has been a good strong stable ride, rode a heavier lemond before this and found it in a new league.
It's also beautiful!

Favorite Ride:   eddie Merckx team sc

Purchased At:   van hoeijen rijweile

Similar Products Used:   Greg Lemond, cannondale, isla bike, specialized, major nichols,

Bike Setup:   52cm with ultegra throughout, mavic cxp 30- were a bit heavier but longlasting, would love to build it up with campagnolo record eventually, but it's not cheap!

Submitted by lperdido a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2009

Strengths:    Getting to ride it.

Weaknesses:    Not wanting to ride it when the weather is crappy

Bottom Line:
Best bike ever. I purchased the frame used on Ebay a few years back to get me back into cycling. The bike was originally going to be a back up bike and I was later going to "upgrade" to a Bianchi. Well after matting it with a Easton SLX fork and Campy record you can forget about the second fiddle status. The bike is stiff, fast, responsive, not jittery and not buzzy. You can ride the bike all day without any fatigue issues. Prior to my cycling hiatus, I always rode high end bikes like my Colnago Conic SLX and Bianchi EV4. Those bikes were great but don't quite have the overall feel of this bike.

The bike constantly elicites comments, compliments and questions. As one rider stated on a group ride, "Beautifull, simply beautifull!"

If you can get one, Get it.

Favorite Ride:   Peachtree City Loop

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Ciocc SLX, Colnago Conic SLX, Bianchi EV2, EV3 AND EV4

Bike Setup:   Deda Newton bar and stem, Easton SLX, Campy record 10 UD, Velomax Accent, Conti Attack-Force, Cane Creek sl brake calipers, Easton EC90 0-setback seatpost and Selle Italia slr

Submitted by Martin McBirney a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2004

Strengths:    Handling, power transfer, comfort and looks

Weaknesses:    The top cap assembly wants to creep up the steering tube, so cinching down the headset is a bit tricky.

Bottom Line:
Fabulous bike. Just fabulous. Came off a steel MX Leader, which was a dream and moved up to something even more impressive. Having been a supported rider in the seventies and early eighties, I've gone through a lot of bikes and I've never been so impressed. I echo all the compliments showered on this bike by other reviewers and only want to add some thoughts on setup.

Like others, I was nervous about the "poser" potential of the Domo Lotto paint, but dealt with it by completely stripping the Ksyriums of every decal, running black cable housing (Aztec), black Stella Azura tape and dark blue Pro Race's (a near perfect match for the blue in the frame). The result is a less noisy color scheme that preserves all the class of paint job. The Easton parts pick up the chain stay decal for an appealing, uniform look.

Favorite Ride:   Highway 200 from Sandpoint, ID to Clark Fork, ID