Felt AR4 Road Bike

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)

Frame: New Felt Aero HM Modular Carbon Fiber Frame with 3k finish, carbon dropouts & replaceable hanger

Fork: Felt Aero UHC Nano 1.3a bladed

Components: Shimano Ultegra SL, 20 speed; Felt 3.1 Stem & 1.3A Aero Road Bars

Wheelset: Felt AeroRoad3 28mm Deep Clincher Rim 20H Front/24H Rear

Finish: Matte Clear Carbon

Sizes: 700c x 51, 54, 56, 58, 61cm

Weight: 16.93 lbs

Submitted by Brian Smith a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2014

Strengths:    Looks great. Great if you need an aero bike. I have ridden a ton of bikes. I like the giant tcr advanced sl as a crit bike. It is uber stiff. This bike has a stiff bottom bracket but the front end is like a wet noodle when you get up to sprint. I love crit sprints and practice them quite a bit with my TCR. This bike does not compare to the TCR in stiffness. But it is definitely fast on flats. I rode a 9 mile loop with

Weaknesses:    Feels like a wet noodle when standing and sprinting. I have a 3t stem and 3t ergonova bar. Those are pretty stiff components. I normally ride a 2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL with stiff Zipp bars and stem. They are night and day difference in the front end stiffness comparison. The bottom bracket seems stiff enough but I haven't hammered it up my hilly route just yet for comparison.

Bottom Line:
Buy it if you want the latest and greatest aero road frame and you like to go fast on flats. Skip it if you want a tight, stiff, crit/sprinter bike. I will give it more time to see if it fits in my arsenal of tricks.

Favorite Ride:   TCR Advanced SL

Purchased At:   Felt Rep

Similar Products Used:   TCR Advanced SL, Cannondale EVO Hi Mod, Cervelo S3.

Bike Setup:   Campy Athena EPS, heavy scirocco wheels.

Submitted by RegMan

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2014

Strengths:    Great looking bike! Responds well to hard accelerations, soaks up bumps in the road surprisingly well, when you get up to speed, the bike almost seems to float! Handling us crisp and precise.

Weaknesses:    Heavy wheels, gearing is meant for flat road riding-nothing steeper than 5-6% grade on the hills

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2014 AR4. It's a great looking bike and although when I first took the bike out for a spin, it felt a little fragile. Almost like riding a bike made of cheap material, however when I got the bike up to speed, was I impressed! This bike literally flies! I've ridden a couple of other aero bikes and they were really stiff and you felt every bump in the road-not so with this bike. It soaks up road imperfections almost as well as my endurance bike! The wheels are heavy. I switched them out to Zipp 404's...major upgrade. The cassette at 11-25, doesn't have a low enough gear to handle steeper climbs. I'm going to switch that out soon for something like an 11-28. Very happy with the purchase!

Submitted by Chris Maclean

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2013

Strengths:    Being a 204 lb triathlete I am no doubt in the Clydesdale division. It is fast. Really fast. It was easy to modify for tri's. and great for long rides. And it is stunning looking. The orange black and white colors r great looking

Weaknesses:    Had to change rear cartridge for climbing. The frame is very stiff. It's not the most comfortable for 90'km rides. It's not a killer on comfort but there r better out there such as Scott CR1

Bottom Line:
I am most pleased w the purchase and would buy it all over again. Will upgrade wheels for next years season
Great bike

Submitted by Marx.int a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2011

Strengths:    Fast, thought the areo frame would just be a gimic but it really makes a difference. Bikes quick even with the stock Cosmic Elite wheels more areo then the set of 40mm Carbon rims I have so left the mavics on there.

Weaknesses:    Cheaper Carbon on the forks witch adds to its sligthly heavier weight.

Bottom Line:
Have been riding the 2011 AR4 and what an Amazing bike has really pushed me up a notch in speed and competitiveness. Even being slightly heavier it still punts up hills quickly. Looks the Biz, get heaps of comments. couldnt be happier with it

Favorite Ride:   Any with a tail wind

Purchased At:   Hub Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   Stock apart from narrower bars

Submitted by devil's spawn a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff over the BB, accelerates quickly, fast, smooth. Beautiful looking, comments on if it was a TT bike. This will double up as road and TT bike with tribars and deep sectioned wheels.

Weaknesses:    Shame but stock wheels never get a good rep due to unknown quantity and little heavy.

Bottom Line:
Bike tested 2010 Felt AR4 as the intials indicates this bike is very aerodynamic, stiff and fast. The latest shimano ultergra 6700 ten speed execellent. Took this machine on a 3hour bike ride with a 6 mile time trial included, replaced stock wheels with easton tempest II alu clincher wheelset which makes this ride extremely fast, the ride is comfortable & stable, has an air of excitement to see how fast you can go. Well, I clocked 30mph(tri bars not even on yet) at times during the TT there was a tailwind and flat road to, but this is what this bike does, get it up to the 25mph and feel the aerodynamics come into play, the effort was relaxed, the stiffness of the frame allows you to power to speed on the quick, haven't worked it hard on hills yet, but as a triathlete's point of view if it rides this well, it will surely be about the rider who can climb well. Now I'm 6' & 97kg. I don't ride stomping on the pedals but ride fluidly I need a bike that allows me to get my mass shifting effortlessly and this does. Purchase this bike it will not dissapoint.

Favorite Ride:   fast and flat wherever that may be

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles in ster

Similar Products Used:   2005 Specialized Tarmac Comp. Token C50A carbon wheelset. And I thought that was fast.

Bike Setup:   As stock but with specialized romin saddle
easton tempest II alu wheelset, pedals ultegra 6700, cateye strada computer (wired)

Forward offset seatpost for ar4

Just got a 2013 ar4. Wondering if there are any forward offset posts that will fit. Do the da posts work? New to biking and trying to dial in the fit.Read More »

2013 ar4

i have been riding for about 6 months know i bought a new felt ar4 just wondering if there is something i can do about the front end front end seems real twitchy thinking bigger tire ???? please help tyRead More »

2014 AR4 and 28mm Tires

Just thought I would post this as I did not know the answer. I went out and bought a 2014 AR4 and had some 28mm Conti Gator Hardshell tires from my old bike. Swapped out the Vitts for some 28mm tires to see if they would fit; no rubbing issues with tires installed. Just got more snow and ice so I ... Read More »

2014 ar4

Stressful day today. I had to take my Yellow Lab to the vet to have some lumps checked out on his body. Test results came back negative for Cancer. Also drove another 2.5 hours to pick up my new AR4. Finally got the bike after some interesting developments. Thanks to the People who helped out a ... Read More »

Hard time finding 2010 AR4 Forks - Help SD!

Hi All, I recently purchased a used 2010 AR4 (56cm). The previous owner cut the steerer tube very aggressive (too short for my comfort). I have been scowering the web and I have a couple of inquiries in to authorized Felt Dealers for a replacement set of forks; however it's been a couple of we ... Read More »